Someone reported me for feeding ferals.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am so upset and angry right now I just wanted to vent. I have lived in this apartment for 5 years and I was feeding one semi-feral and now there are two. I have a feeling who may have reported me, but I am not 100% sure. I leave the food out for 5 minutes, watch through a window and then bring the food in. People are cruel. I can't believe someone reported me. The semi-feral I will re-trap and bring inside (there was no rush but now there is). I could understand if I let the food sit, but I don't. How can someone be so heartless?

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would be in big trouble if I lived in an apartment. I feed ferals all the time. In fact currently I am feeding a feral mom and her 6 older kittens and her 5 new kittens now. But my nearest neighbor is about 1/3 of a mile away and one of the cats that eats here often belongs to them and he is also the dad to the older batch of kittens. I was thinking about getting him neutered. I can imagine him showing up back home with some parts missing. He is a really nice looking cat but he is not going to last to long if he keeps wandering.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How can someone be so heartless?
Hi! Unfortunately there's no way to know if that person doesn't like you personally, or if a new person moved in the complex and is a cat hater, as happened to another member's mom.

Let us know how things go with the trapping, and the transition for that kitty to indoor life. We have lots of information and tips to help :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you, I will. She has been trapped before, you all are familiar with her story, but it has been awhile. Long story, but she was in, then out again. Since I decided not to move, I felt no rush to re-trap her. But now I must. In other words, not feeding her is not an option. The other is a big, un-neutered Tom.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There are some in my area that I will call. Even though I can't take him in, I would like to at least get him neutered. I have only been feeding him for about a month. I have been feeding her for years, she is coming in. I guess I will just have to make late-night efforts and be as discreet as possible.

I am more upset about the heartlessness of some people. :cold:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Vent as much as need to! Many of us here have had similar experiences. I have. If you ever do find out who did it, try to open a dialogue rather than showing how they hurt you. Maybe there is hope to educate them. One of the people who caused me great problems ended up coming to my door and asking for forgiveness. Even later, he fell in love with a kitty! He has since moved but sends me pictures of his kitty. Trax is his kitty and the love of that cat totally converted him. I think watching these cats had a great impact on his life. Back when I first dealt with him, I never would have imagined the change I have seen. He was an angry fellow and a real
problem. I spent much time trying to make friends yet feeling helpless but I didn’t give up. Don’t give up. Get your baby in when you can and see if you can get the Tom neutered and out of there if possible. At least preventing the Tom from spraying should help. Perhaps the person who reported will learn. We can always hope.Sending you :vibes::heartshape:

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I cut a small hole in my back patio screen in order to continue feeding them until they are trapped. It is much more discreet (there are woods behind). I would like to lure her through the hole and onto my patio, where I can trap her with more ease (and the Tom, too). I'm such a vandal....anything for the kitties..:) She is very intelligent and learned her new food spot immediately. The Tom, not quite.

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I suppose it's possible they think you are just leaving food out to lure in other creatures, or they think that by luring in the cats the complex will soon be overrun?

I'd maybe write a nice note and either leave it for the person you suspect or for everyone in the complex. Explain that those cats are out there whether you feed them or not and you are trying to catch them and spay/neuter to prevent a population boom. Be sure to let them know you watch the food and take it up as soon as the cats are done eating. Maybe a bit of education is all it would take (and for any cat haters to realize you are trying to stop hundreds of cats from living in the complex).

But...people can be crazy and heartless. Keep that in mind too.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Milktea, I have to agree. On the upside, she is doing VERY well and has taken to living on my lanai (only temporarily - I wanted to reintroduce her to the litter box before bringing her in plus, she needs a SNAP test). BUT, she has taken to SLEEPING in the litter box, lol! In all my life I have not had a cat do this.
How do I get her to realize the box is for pooping but not sleeping??? :sunshine: She used it the first night, but after that she started sleeping in it. She has a little playpen, bed, etc.