Someone please give me some advice.....on Scottish fold cats

Status
Not open for further replies.

phoenician lady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have had many kittens but never a fold and it has been a nightmare to adopt one! First I was scammed. Then with this breeder she wanted to keep the kitten for 16 weeks before I could have her, and when I asked for another picture her ears were not folded anymore. She said they popped back up and may go back down??? She did offer another kitten or my money back but I am so torn. Is 16 weeks too old to come into a famiy with other pets and is it true their ears may pop back up? Had I not asked for another photo I don't know how it would have played out when I got the kitten. PLEASE ADVISE. Thank you

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
16 weeks is an ideal age to bring a kitten home. I normally place kittens at 4 months or even 5 months of age, depending on how long it takes to evaluate them and get them spayed/neutered. Kittens adapt quickly to their new homes.

I can't comment on the ears, as I don't breed Scottish Folds.

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are after a cat of a particular breed I would attend some cat shows and deal with the breeders there.
That way you are pretty sure you aren't dealing with dodgy scammers and you can be sure you are getting the real thing and healthy cats.
Any time you approach a so called breeder or someone selling a breed of cat and things dont go smooth or not quite right I would run away as fast as you can.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if they will pop back down but I do know that some Scottish Fold kittens never get that folded down ear look. Sixteen weeks is not too old and actually illustrates responsibility on the breeder's part.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the ears are unfolded then they will stay upwards. A lot of scottish folds dont have folded ears and those are called straight ear. For scottish folds you only want to go to really good breeders as that breed is prone to a ton of health issues.

Last edited by a moderator:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All folded-ear cats will have some degree of osteochondrodysplasia. It's purely up to chance/luck how badly it affects their quality of life.

I guess their ears can pop up and down depending on circumstances, so even if you get one with a strong fold it sounds like that could change. I don't know if there's an age when this is less likely to happen, or what. If a folded ear is important to you, talking to the breeder to get more details would probably be the best bet. Scottish Folds — KALAI (the part about the ears is about halfway down)

And, yes, kittens should stay with their mother and littermates for at least 14 weeks, 16 is even better. They're much better adjusted this way :).

The Goodbye Bird

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Then with this breeder she wanted to keep the kitten for 16 weeks before I could have her, and when I asked for another picture her ears were not folded anymore. She said they popped back up and may go back down???
At this point I would look VERY closely at both pictures and try to find any indication that it may not be the same cat. I don't know Scottish Folds. I have no idea if this is possible or not. I don't care. It's a massive red flag even if it is possible.

Perhaps post both pics so we can all have a look.

Last edited by a moderator:

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At this point I would look VERY closely at both pictures and try to find any indication that it may not be the same cat. I don't know Scottish Folds. I have no idea if this is possible or not. I don't care. It's a massive red flag even if it is possible.
Both Scottish Fold and American Curl ears can change as kittens are developing. I wouldn't be surprised if it is the same cat. I don't see it as a red flag... it sounds to me that the breeder is being up front about it, and offering another kitten or a refund.
Here's another discussion on this site of Scottish Fold ears unfolding:

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Note from the mods
For those who are following this thread, you will noticed that a number of posts have been removed. The thread was going off-topic turning into a discussion of whether or not it's ethical to breed Scottish Folds. The Mods have removed or edited the posts that are not relevant to the OP's question. Please do not continue posting here unless you have information that will help the OP with her question. Thank you.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The OP has other responses to the same thread here: Is 16 weeks to old for a cat to join the family?

Where did you find this breeder? Online somewhere? An ad? It's easy for any one to set up a web site or ad and post pictures found on other web sites and scam people. I suggest looking for a reputable breeder on the CFA and TICA web sites:

It's best to visit a breeder and see the cats in person. However given the pandemic, many breeders may not be allowing visits at the moment. Try a virtual visit through Zoom or other way.

If you are after a cat of a particular breed I would attend some cat shows and deal with the breeders there.
I think most cat shows have been cancelled this year due to the pandemic.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Mod Note:
Once again this thread has been taken off-topic and posts have been deleted. There have been some useful responses and we thank those who have responded appropriately.
We will lock this thread now.

Status
Not open for further replies.