Someday I will learn to...

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
...close the door to the room BEFORE I start scooping the litter. I've had cats for a long time, but still make this mistake. (All cats watch for you to start and run in, right? Maybe I've had some that didn't do this, don't remember for sure.)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The only time it is an issue with me is when Feeby wants to happen to go when I am cleaning out her last 'deposit' - she could care less - as in 'if I have to go, I have to go'. But, that hasn't been an issue as of late since she goes so much more often than she used to, I make it a practice to get to it fairly quickly. In her old age, she is definitely 'food in and right after pee/poop out'!!

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Charlie doesn't come at all, but Selene will. Her interest doesn't seem to be in the box, though-she jumps on the bed and starts rolling around. I think she's jealous of the attention the box is getting :lol:

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have a problem with mine trying to use the box while I'm cleaning, but within 15 seconds of my having cleaned the box, there's a cat digging in it. I can see them peering around the corners to see when I'm done.

lucicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mine just seems to get agitated when I do and hovers around and sometimes tries to dig a big hole. So yes, gotta close that door!!!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jackie sometimes wants to use the litter box as I’m cleaning it but that is rare. Then again I live alone and my bathroom door has a doorstop in it, to keep it open 24/7 (unless visitors come) because his litter boxes are in the bathroom.

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
Willow has started following me around and getting curious while I do litterbox duty. She has three in three different rooms that I scoop at least every day.

Franklin had one that he liked changed all the way twice a week, and that involved going outside to empty it because of the dust, scrubbing, etc. so I didn't enjoy the company. He always used it right away--depending on my mood, I felt either appreciated or frustrated.

I like the new system better, even though the initial cost of three boxes full of Dr. Elsey's was staggering when I was used to Unscented Jonny Cat.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
My Graham is like that, but not because she wants to "use" the box, but to mess with me. Whenever she sees me scooping, she'd start doing the zoomies, and that includes zooming in and out of the box while I am doing the scooping, sending the litter sand flying all over.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
:lol: We just had a litter of five at the shelter - all adopted now - that would sit in a semicircle around you while you scooped their boxes, then all jump in the first clean box and squeeze out a few drops, purring the entire time. Usually there's one or two per litter that love to "help", but it's unusual for all of them to do it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Even though I only have two cats, we have two boxes in the furnished basement bathroom. Started when we went away for a weekend, and I just kept it up because it allows me to miss a day now and then.

...once I start scooping, I've suddenly had one cat in each box.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Casper sits outside the room and watches while his box is being cleaned.

He doesn't try to get in while it's being cleaned but he does go in to inspect things after the job is done. Sometimes he uses the box but, probably, only half the time.

I think it's mostly just a "quality control" inspection.

Some day, I half expect him to come back out and say, "Hey, you missed a spot!" ;)