Somebody built a halfpipe under my window...

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gemlady

I wonder if a call to the media would help.
The only way the media should get involved is if it is more of a piece about getting a park in the town or triing to find a way for these kids to skate. There are already way to many negative stories out there. All these kids want is a place to be kids and have fun.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
These kids are already criminals. I don't live in suburbia, this is one of the highest-crime areas of Columbus. I recognize a couple of them as regular shoplifters and also I've had to kick them out for throwing spitballs at customers. They tried to pick a fight with some bangers that were out there last night.

So no, I don't want them anywhere near my window. They might break it on accident but they might just as easily break it on purpose.

I have nothing against skaters or any other group of people. I do have a problem with this being here at all. A compromise is not something I feel I should have to do. This was built ten feet from my bedroom with no warning, and no permits because they wouldn't have been given one. I don't think I should have to leave my apartment to study because of this.

Seriously, when there are people on that thing there is no way to stay in your apartment and hear yourself think.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, the kids or criminals - whoever they are - want a place to play. Sure, they need a place to skate. I don't think the place that they chose is appropriate. This is not about skating.

It is causing problems for Zissou'sMom. I don't mean to sound harsh, but helping these kids is not automatically her responsibility. Where was the consideration when they chose to build the halfpipe? Not only is it noisy, it being that close to her window is a very real threat. She no longer feels safe in her own home. Not only could they accidently break the window; she knows their history and feels that they could break in on purpose. Her cat could get out whether it was an accident or not!

ZM - I know you would love to destroy it, but you're not like that. How do you think it would look with marbles superglued all over it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, hey!

Sorry for not updating

Yes, it did. I called the city code violations people, as did about 400 other people, and they came out and looked at. They took it apart and flipped it all over, but the people it belonged to kept putting it back together and using it.

It did turn out to be my neighbor in the next building over, and he was a big jerkface about it. One night they were on it around 1 am, and my neighbor went outside to ask them to please stop, he had to get up for work in the morning; he also said that he was okay with it during the day but if they could just not do it at night-- overall he was being very polite about it. They responded by saying they had been to prison and would kick his... behind. And other such neighborly things (I told you these weren't nice people).

So it got to the point where we called the cops every time someone touched the thing.

Eventually someone came with a u-haul, I'm not sure if it was the city or if it was the neighbor.

To the people who defended it-- this wasn't just a case of nimbyism. I am all for skateparks, have nothing against skaters, and many of my friends in high school spent a lot of their time at the indoor one around. It wasn't a matter of disliking what they were doing.

But you imagine, just for a second, having a skate ramp ten feet from your bed separated by a pane of glass, with the type of people my neighbors are on it at all hours, plus a bunch of the future gangsters of america screaming inflammatory things at the actual gangsters walking by (and no, I'm not being dramatic). I'm not complaining about a happy little suburban skate park across the street.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you got it all figured out. I would have been ticked too.

I don't agree with defenders of the half-pipe. Our city has a couple skate parks that were built and they have been nothing but a problem. There was actually a riot (violence and beating up of kids involved) in one of them last month.
For some reason the skate parks around here invite trouble. It's not always the skaters, but other people looking to cause trouble with the skaters. But still. Trouble.

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by littleraven7726

I'm glad you got it all figured out. I would have been ticked too.

I don't agree with defenders of the half-pipe. Our city has a couple skate parks that were built and they have been nothing but a problem. There was actually a riot (violence and beating up of kids involved) in one of them last month.
For some reason the skate parks around here invite trouble. It's not always the skaters, but other people looking to cause trouble with the skaters. But still. Trouble.
One of our local towns, Tualatin, OR, has a park with a skate area... less than half a block from the Police Station.
I drive by it three days a week going to my library job. I don't know if they've had any problems, but it looks, when I drive by it, like things are going well...

A.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RubSluts'Mommy

One of our local towns, Tualatin, OR, has a park with a skate area... less than half a block from the Police Station.
I drive by it three days a week going to my library job. I don't know if they've had any problems, but it looks, when I drive by it, like things are going well...

A.
They should have done that here.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

Eventually someone came with a u-haul, I'm not sure if it was the city or if it was the neighbor.
It must have been the neighbour because the city would have used one of their own vehicles.

They must have been threatened with a huge fine if they didn't comply.

Glad it was resolved

ocicatdude

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow i used to skateboard and that half pipe looks awesome!

Sorry, But yeah i know where you are coming from.. It's not on, get the cops involved.

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In my old town, we had a skating park full of stuff like that that was built by the city. You had to pay like a $2 fee to get in and they had volunteer 'Watchdogs" walking around the place to make sure the kids were safe. It was great! Maybe your town needs something like that. They did have a helmet rule for kids under 16 and a waiver form if you were older and didn't want to wear one. I think it was a great idea from the city officials.

ilovemykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StacyD1987

In my old town, we had a skating park full of stuff like that that was built by the city. You had to pay like a $2 fee to get in and they had volunteer 'Watchdogs" walking around the place to make sure the kids were safe. It was great! Maybe your town needs something like that. They did have a helmet rule for kids under 16 and a waiver form if you were older and didn't want to wear one. I think it was a great idea from the city officials.
that is great. in my old town sweet home they built a skate park across the street from the football field, an next to the district school office. there is kids there all the time, and the cops keep a pretty close eye on it. there was a big problem with skaters skating where they weren't supposed to until about 5 years ago my step-dad got a group of people(which included the skaters) to raise money and get the city to build it.