Some Vomiting

CatCrazy777

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi guys,

I just wanted some advice because I've read different things online.
Although Antonio seems fine and isn't acting odd on any days in between he has vomited on three occasions, once on Monday 24th December, again on the 31st, and now today on the 13th.
The first time it happened I thought it might be a one off, but then it happened again a week later, so I decided to take a note of it, and now its happened today I'm a bit worried.

He has an appointment with the vet next Friday to be neutered, but do I need to make an emergency appointment?
And if it helps, his vomit is very solid, like stool, which is odd for me as i am used to liquidy human vomit - i don't know if that is normal for cats?

Noirele

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If the vomit is solid it could be fur or undigested food, while liquid vomit it's usually bile and/or stomach acids. It could be an issue, but three episodes in 20 days sound pretty "random" to me. If he's fine and eats well, I would wait until friday. Maybe you could give him some malt paste

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. If your cat will eat Vaseline (some do, some don't) try getting to lick off a dab of it from your finger, in case he is coughing up hairballs, which would be like what you are describing. Since he doesn't throw up very often, it might take a while to see if the Vaseline stops it. A dab or two each week should be sufficient. If he won't eat Vaseline, then you would have to move on to something like Noirele Noirele mentioned - malt paste (which is likely a flavored form of Vaseline - lol).

And, just to be safe, tell your vet about it in case it would have any bearing on his scheduled neutering, or make the vet want to see him in advance of it.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That sounds like a hairball.

Please don’t feed Vaseline to cats. It’s kind of gross and unnecessary. A pat of butter works well for constipation. But for hairballs, raw egg yolk is best.

Start with 1/8 tsp in their meals or on its own (cats prefer the taste to Vaseline!). Egg yolk busts up the fat that binds the hair to form that stool-like shape. It can also have a laxative effect so start small and slow like 1/8 tsp and increase a little each week as their stools tolerate it. It also contains choline which promotes healthy GI motility making it easier to pass ingested hair.

Here’s more details on egg yolk for hairballs. And because 1/8 tsp is not very much, they also sell egg yolk powder which works just as well. They also have a recipe for making your own egg yolk powder but I think their powder is easiest and most consistent.
How Best to Manage Hairballs

Last edited:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pumpkin is another one that sometimes works for hairballs. It provides moisture and fiber that can help push the hair through. Tiki Cat Aloha Friends Tuna with Pumpkin is the only way my Krista will eat pumpkin. So she gets an ounce of that a couple times a week in addition to egg yolk powder in her meals.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise