some "smileys" can't be seen and other stuff

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
For the past few weeks, every time I open up the "smiley" menu, I cannot see at least fhe first two rows of smileys.  I can know longer see the purple clapping smiley, or the regular laughing smiley, or I can't remember what else was in the first two rows.  Nothing i do will allow me to see them.  I've even tried to change my tool bar on my PC to omit one or two header lines, and all that does is move up the smiley menu, but still with the same smiley's displaying.

Along the same lines, I also cannot close out the smiley menu because I cannot see the bottom of the page.  The scroll bar will not take me to either the top OR bottom.  In order to close it out, I MUST select a smiley

Then earlier this afternoon I was trying to reply to a post, and I could NOT use any punctuation that required hitting the shift key (like "shift apostrophe).  Every time I tried it would throw me to the bottom of the website.  This is not the first time this has happened. 

AND, last but not least,  when I tried to had some vibes, it kept putting them on TOP if what I had just typed, rather that where my cursor was, and instead of putting them one after another, it formed a vertical column with them (so I deleted them). 

Is anyone else having that problem.  For THIS post,  I can again at least use punctuation.  But not having access to all the smileys is annoying, at best.  I need my clapping smiley

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What browser do you use?

I too have the problem of not quite seeing the close box if I change my mind about using a smiley after opening the box. What I found was, the more tool bars that I had at the top of my browser, the smaller my actual browser screen was and that made my browser too small for the box. When I removed the tool bars, I can get the close button. I use Firefox.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I use Firefox too, and I didn't change anything on MY side before suddenly this happened to the smiley menu, but since it happened I got rid of a couple of lines of tool bars and all it did was move the smiley menu box up higher, but still missing those first two lines of smiley faces
.  It's almost as if the box just grew a little bit

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Just checking with Firefox and the Rich Text Editor on my laptop - the smilies are working fine for me, so it's probably not a site problem. Maybe your Firefox zoom settings are messed up. You could go to "View" at the top, to "Zoom" in the drop-down menu, and click "Reset" and see if that helps.

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Just checking with Firefox and the Rich Text Editor on my laptop - the smilies are working fine for me, so it's probably not a site problem. Maybe your Firefox zoom settings are messed up. You could go to "View" at the top, to "Zoom" in the drop-down menu, and click "Reset" and see if that helps.
I agree that it is a browser setting issue. I just used the zoom out and now the whole box looks as it did before (normal). I noticed this change when they went with the new editor.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Just tried this...tried "reset", tried "zoom out", tried "zoom in".  Nothing worked 
  (as far as the smiley's were concerned)

AND I very recently had my PC completely overhauled, so don't think it's that, because since that time, it was working fine.  The change only happened since the new something changed on TCS (can't remember quite what).  And that still doesn't explain the other quirky stuff, like when I hit the shift key for punctuation having it throw me to the bottom of the website.  And NOW, as I am typing, it's moving the "page" over to the right as I type, so I cannot see what I've typed in the far left area.  Did that earlier in this post too.  This quirky stuff has been happening on and off, but I finally just decided to say something.  Sometimes when I click on "new posts", it throws me to the "home page" too.   I CAN'T be the only one with problems, can I?  I don't have problems on any other websites (not that I spend much time anywhere else

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Somebody at another Huddler forum reported a problem with the smiley box two days ago, and a "fix" should be coming. What about your screen resolution? Could that have been changed when your PC was overhauled? The person at the other forum who's having the problem is using 1280 x 800 screen resolution with Win 7 and Firefox 24; apparently it doesn't happen at 1920 x 1080. You could try raising your screen resolution.

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I GOT IT
.  It didn't work doing the "view" the resetting, zooming in, etc., but I looked up how to zoom in on Firefox and it gave several alternatives, and tried a different one.  Control - worked.  Whew. 

BTW, my display is already at the highest possible.  And when I opened up a different browser, I had NO editing toolbar at all (my other browser is Internet Explorer...don't like it, don't use it...guess that's why
)

When I switched over to BB Code Editor, it was just so different that I figured I would never get used to it
(old dog, new tricks
), but at least I could see the clapping smiley, but only that one and a couple of more.

Whatever, I'm just thrilled to have my clapping smiley back

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
That's great! :clap:

I have to admit that I use the BB Code Editor because I'm too lazy to open the smiley menu. I type the word between two colons.