Some questions about homemade cooked/raw

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So I bought a small packet of Alnutrin and followed the instructions to get a sample of Ez Complete, to see which my boys prefer, however I got a few questions before I dive in. This is simply the experimental stage. Finding out what my boys like, what works, and to just get the hang of it. I'll be starting out feeding homemade as a snack if they like it, and keep them on canned until I feel like they are doing good on homemade, and I've perfected my recipe and feel confident enough to take them completely off canned. Then I'll feed it once a day, then twice, and then their usual three times (does that sound like an okay transition?). This all depends on if they even like it, of course.

The biggest question I have is: can I mix proteins together? My boys tend to love mixed more than single protein when it comes to their canned, and was wondering, to add more variety, even if just occasionally, if I could do the same with homemade using the premix as long as the weight of both proteins add up to the correct amount needed? Like for example, if I'm doing 1lb, make sure the mix of turkey and chicken, or chicken and rabbit, add up to 1lb when put together. I'm asking because I have only really seen people feed single protein diets on here.

For those who cook, is lightly/gently cooking in a pan on low heat okay? I'm planning on not cooking it all the way to avoid over cooking it, just long enough to release some extra aroma and flavor. I want to add some variety in texture and flavor by giving them both cooked and raw. I'm pretty sure I read that you add the premix after it cools (which makes sense anyway).

Finally, any tips and tricks you've learned using these premixes that you wish you knew as a beginner or just think would be helpful? Anything about my plan I need to change or tweak? I really want to put my boys on a homemade diet this year, especially Teddy with his skin problems, so any advice and critique is more than welcome. I want them to be healthy and eat a balanced and nutritious diet after all.

I'll be looking at articles and such provided here but I like hearing from people who've been there done that.

:thanks:everyone!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many cats who come to raw are coming from allergies or IBD. In that case, single protein makes it easier to identify which proteins are reactive (itching, vomiting or other reaction) and which are safe. The other argument in favor of single protein is reserving safe proteins in case they develop an issue with the one you’re feeding. If you put all the eggs in one basket, all the proteins on one plate, and they start having issues, you have potentially crossed all those proteins off their safe list. 🤦🏼‍♂️😿

I did many many rounds of “Krista Test Kitchen.” I think it’s a very wise strategy to keep raw as a minority portion (one meal a day) until you have your recipe down and your production capacity up to speed.
I also recommend keeping at least one canned food in their diet even after you have perfected your recipe and production methods. This is insurance in case you have supply or production issues (e.g. you forgot to make a new batch before you fed the last of the current batch.) Or if they don’t like a batch or one of them doesn’t want to eat the raw you made, it’s just easier to have a canned alternative without having to worry about food transitions.

I don’t know much about cooking for homemade. But what I’ve read is that people prefer to lightly bake over pan frying. You will want to retain whatever liquids come out during baking as those will have nutrients you don’t want to discard.

I think one of these sites may have something about homemade cooked.
StackPath
http://www.catnutrition.org/

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Many cats who come to raw are coming from allergies or IBD. In that case, single protein makes it easier to identify which proteins are reactive (itching, vomiting or other reaction) and which are safe. The other argument in favor of single protein is reserving safe proteins in case they develop an issue with the one you’re feeding. If you put all the eggs in one basket, all the proteins on one plate, and they start having issues, you have potentially crossed all those proteins off their safe list. 🤦🏼‍♂️😿

I did many many rounds of “Krista Test Kitchen.” I think it’s a very wise strategy to keep raw as a minority portion (one meal a day) until you have your recipe down and your production capacity up to speed.
I also recommend keeping at least one canned food in their diet even after you have perfected your recipe and production methods. This is insurance in case you have supply or production issues (e.g. you forgot to make a new batch before you fed the last of the current batch.) Or if they don’t like a batch or one of them doesn’t want to eat the raw you made, it’s just easier to have a canned alternative without having to worry about food transitions.

I don’t know much about cooking for homemade. But what I’ve read is that people prefer to lightly bake over pan frying. You will want to retain whatever liquids come out during baking as those will have nutrients you don’t want to discard.

I think one of these sites may have something about homemade cooked.
StackPath
http://www.catnutrition.org/
Thanks for the insight! That makes sense. I definitely have some experimenting to do in finding what they like and don't, what proteins make Teddy chew less and chew more (he has Eosinophilic Granuloma Complex. Some cats find relief through eliminating allergies and sensitivities).

Yeah, I planned on always having some canned on hand, but just buying canned is getting expensive so having that be an occasional meal would definitely help me financially.

I'll have a look at the link. Thanks for your thoughts, they were a big help!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rawz brand canned food is the gold standard for figuring out allergies and food sensitivities. Most of their pates are single protein. No hidden chicken or fish ingredients. No gums or other unnecessary/inappropriate ingredients. I recommend trying the turkey first. It’s cheaper and easier to find than the rabbit. You need to give food trials at least 2 to 3 months. Turkey is also going to be a lot cheaper to source for raw than rabbit. Unfortunately Rawz can be hard to find and expensive. (But still cheaper than vet visits and prescription food!) Rawz will send you samples if you can’t find it locally. Some of the approved online vendors will also sell Rawz by the can so you don’t have to buy a whole case to try it.

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Rawz brand canned food is the gold standard for figuring out allergies and food sensitivities. Most of their pates are single protein. No hidden chicken or fish ingredients. No gums or other unnecessary/inappropriate ingredients. I recommend trying the turkey first. It’s cheaper and easier to find than the rabbit. You need to give food trials at least 2 to 3 months. Turkey is also going to be a lot cheaper to source for raw than rabbit. Unfortunately Rawz can be hard to find and expensive. (But still cheaper than vet visits and prescription food!) Rawz will send you samples if you can’t find it locally. Some of the approved online vendors will also sell Rawz by the can so you don’t have to buy a whole case to try it.
Rawz was actually the food I gave them after I adopted them. They never loved it sadly :sigh: I could try again, since they haven't eaten it since they were less than a year old. They got into Feline Natural but now don't like it anymore. They are currently eating Ziwi Peak's new line without chick peas, Stella and Chewy's Carnivore cravings and BFF OMG. I usually mix the S&C and BFF with their ziwi because they won't really eat it by itself. They are even getting bored of Vital Essentials raw rabbit patties (they are obsessed with the freeze dried nibs, though). Picky stinkers they are.

They always want my food, though, ( I've had to do some yoga moves to keep my plate away from them lol) and I had to purchase a locking trashcan to keep Teddy from getting into it because he kept tipping it to get the thrown away chicken. Finny has stolen my steak right off my plate and ran away with it. This makes me feel like they'd at least like some lightly cooked homemade food. I tried Smalls recently despite the veggies, and while customer service is lovely, my boys don't seem to enjoy it. At least with homemade I can keep veggies out of the recipe.

Cheekiezsheek

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
From what I’ve seen with premixes they usually have a recipe you must follow and you usually have to choose between one or two proteins. However I’m not super familiar with them, I’d contact the company to confirm. However I would personally think not as all three meats have different nutrient profiles and mixing may cause some imbalance.
When it comes to cooking steaming degrades the least nutrients, roasting is also very common. In my personal experience I’ve found that my cat won’t eat dry proteins as he’s always eaten wet food which has broths or kibble. Your cats may be different but when starting out I’d add a little bit of broth to their food.

Mailmans_Mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Everyone here is sharing great ideas. Just my two cents - I thought my cats loved having a variety of proteins. I generally fed 3-5 different proteins over 2 days. When my cat was diagnosed to IBD, it was cut down to the same 2 every day. There was a slight reduction in overall household stress that I didn't expect. We don't know them as well as we want to. So it might not hurt to try single proteins and see if there's any noticeable difference.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The biggest question I have is: can I mix proteins together? My boys tend to love mixed more than single protein when it comes to their canned, and was wondering, to add more variety, even if just occasionally, if I could do the same with homemade using the premix as long as the weight of both proteins add up to the correct amount needed? Like for example, if I'm doing 1lb, make sure the mix of turkey and chicken, or chicken and rabbit, add up to 1lb when put together. I'm asking because I have only really seen people feed single protein diets on here.

I would just make up individual single protein batches and then combine them as you please at meal time.

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mailmans_Mom Mailmans_Mom Thanks for your thoughts! Always appreciate any two cents someone wants to throw my way.

LTS3 LTS3 Thanks. That sounds way easier than what I was thinking. Gotta love overcomplicating everything lol

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
They always want my food, though, ( I've had to do some yoga moves to keep my plate away from them lol) and I had to purchase a locking trashcan to keep Teddy from getting into it because he kept tipping it to get the thrown away chicken. Finny has stolen my steak right off my plate and ran away with it. This makes me feel like they'd at least like some lightly cooked homemade food.
Might be a random question, but do your boys ALWAYS (literally almost every single time) seem to want what you're eating?
Years ago I had a kitty who just always assumed that whatever was on my plate must be better than whatever is in his bowl. So, I started "cooking" myself a meal (which was actually his food, but I pretended it was mine), and when he wanted it, I'd just put the plate down for him and he'd gobble it up.
I know cats can be picky eaters, but cat logic says that "whatever you have is better than what I have".
Just a thought.

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mr. Meow Mr. Meow If it's meat and they think it smells good they will be up in my business if they are on my bed with me lol