Some people...

sockiesmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Uggg...
I've been seeing this lovely kitty come around when I feed the other two strays that I've been feeding for a while. When I was out there, the kids from across the street came over and accused me of "stealing" their cat, which is skin and bones and deathly afraid of people. So I said that I leave food out for the cats...and that I don't care and can't control which cats eat it, and if they don't want their cat to eat other food and garbage they shouldn't let it roam the streets. I also have reason to believe she is deaf, because she has very blue eyes (I read something about cats with blue eyes being deaf: is that true?) and doesn't respond to the crinkling of the food bag and the pouring of the food like the other kitties do. I'm so scared that she'll be on the road and get hit sometime because she doesn't seem to notice that anything is coming at her. But that's just the start of it. They scooped up their cat and took her to their driveway, where I watched them in plain view throw stones at her to "punish" her for eating with the other cats.
No wonder the poor fur babe is so scared of people.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is just too much! I'm so glad you defended what you're doing.

But that sure sounds like animal abuse! Is there some way to report this to a local agency? It seems like a situation in which you don't want to directly intervene. Are there no-kill shelters in your area? This poor kitty deserves to be adopted to a different family!

Some people. It boggles the mind. Grrrrrr.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sockiesmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by LDG
That is just too much! I'm so glad you defended what you're doing.

But that sure sounds like animal abuse! Is there some way to report this to a local agency? It seems like a situation in which you don't want to directly intervene. Are there no-kill shelters in your area? This poor kitty deserves to be adopted to a different family!

Some people. It boggles the mind. Grrrrrr.

Yeah, I was thinking about that last night. I was thinking that they're just young kids, but that's no excuse. Their mom lives off welfare and I just know that when the time comes to get the furbabe spayed, that she won't bother. I'm going to give the kids one more chance to prove themselves (everything is closed until Tuesday anyway now, it's Thanksgiving here). If I see them hurt the kitty one more time though...

My neighbour already said she'll support me reporting them because she saw the same thing I saw.
I'd guess the kids are about 7 and 9. They should know better by now.

It's about 45 minutes to the nearest shelter, but I don't think it's a no-kill. I'd try to trap the kitty anyway, but they live directly across the street, so they'd definitely see. I don't know what to do.

debra myers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
PEOPLE!!!!! GRRRRRRRRRR!!
Here's my take on this - trap the kitty and take her away! These prople do NOT deserve an animal.

sockiesmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by debra myers
PEOPLE!!!!! GRRRRRRRRRR!!
Here's my take on this - trap the kitty and take her away! These prople do NOT deserve an animal.
Yeah, but these people are the type that would fight it. They're the type that thinks that it's their right to own and an animal and that it's just a possession for them to do with what they wish.
They're front door faces my front door, so they'd definitely see a trap out there and I know they're keeping an eye on me already.
I think they've let the kitty in now, but I can't say for sure.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know how things are structured in Canada, but here are some things you could consider doing.

If you have the time, you could start by contacting the animal shelter (kill or no-kill) and asking if they know what the laws are about animal abuse in your area. They might know to whom to report it. But before you report it to anyone, you should also consider trying to find out what happens when you report it. (You can say you suspect abuse, and for now you just wanted to find out what the laws are and what happens if it IS abuse, what happens if you report it).

If it turns out that it is animal abuse, the problem is they might come get the cat, and then just take it to a kill shelter.

If the Shelter doesn't know, they might be able to refer you to the proper authority or government agency where you can find out.

You can also consider looking in your phonebook. Is there anything like a regional Society for Protection of Animals there? Or a local or regional humane society? They might be able to help.

These are places to start, anyway, to find out what the laws are, what your options are, and if it is abuse, what happens if you report it.

...and even though the kitty appears now to be inside, it sounds like she's not being properly taken care of, which in many cases is also considered animal abuse.

Some people. Grrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!

sockiesmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by LDG
I don't know how things are structured in Canada, but here are some things you could consider doing.

If you have the time, you could start by contacting the animal shelter (kill or no-kill) and asking if they know what the laws are about animal abuse in your area. They might know to whom to report it. But before you report it to anyone, you should also consider trying to find out what happens when you report it. (You can say you suspect abuse, and for now you just wanted to find out what the laws are and what happens if it IS abuse, what happens if you report it).

If it turns out that it is animal abuse, the problem is they might come get the cat, and then just take it to a kill shelter.

If the Shelter doesn't know, they might be able to refer you to the proper authority or government agency where you can find out.

You can also consider looking in your phonebook. Is there anything like a regional Society for Protection of Animals there? Or a local or regional humane society? They might be able to help.

These are places to start, anyway, to find out what the laws are, what your options are, and if it is abuse, what happens if you report it.

...and even though the kitty appears now to be inside, it sounds like she's not being properly taken care of, which in many cases is also considered animal abuse.

Some people. Grrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!
Thanks. I'll look into that. It's Thanksgiving weekend here though, so I'll have to wait at least until Tuesday. I just don't know if they'll take a 16 year old girl seriously... hmm. I might get my mom or my neighbour to call them. I know my mom's done this before about the neighbour's dog (outside with no food or water while they were on vacation...grrr.)

I looked in the phone book for this town and all the towns in a half-hour radius and I couldn't find anything, not even a humane society... but my mom probably has the number (she's working right now or else I'd ask her).

Thanks for the suggestions.