Some people said he was probably a mix. But of what? (pics, traits) Help appreciated!

kajleers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

So, my best friend ever is now in cat heaven, sadly. I had to let him go - it really was for the best. But now, looking back, the various vets that saw him last in the past weeks gave me somewhat differing clues as to what kinds of cats were incorporated into my friend. And I feel this is important because, should I ever decide to take a cat again, I - but surely he/she - should know what he's possibly in for, health care-wise. All of us cat lovers know that some types of cats have more genetically induced diseases than others...

So, without trying to 'contaminate' your possible first thoughts, I won't name any breed or type suspicions or what the vets told me, but just give you the pics & traits data. And no, as far as I know he wasn't a breed, but I can't be sure: the previous owner got him from a lost & found shelter, so no papers (and no chip).

First some pics, as they tell most of the tale, I should think.

IMG_9579.jpg

IMG_0366.JPG

IMG_2476.JPG

Character traits:
- Affectionate
- Social
- Smart
- Not very active (ie, not very playful)
- Liked peace & quiet
- Slept a lot
- Never aggressive to humans
- Liked to be with or humans; preferred them over contact with other cats
- Cuddly

Possible extra info that could be useful:
- Easily shed hair
- Two layers to his coat (soft, short first layer, second shell made of longer, sturdier hair)

I'd like to know your thoughts in what my friend have been, or consisted of. I hope you can help! :)

Chrs,
Kaj (pronounced 'khai')

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The description could run: Lynx flame point domestic shorthair.

Ie, I think he was a domestic, and shorthair.
He was red (possibly creme, but I think red), and he was a tabby.
Why I think he was a tabby? Arent all reds tabbies? I think he was a tabby for real, because he got reddish over his whole body, although as a non tabby point his body should remain beigeish...

The great majority of all cats are domestics, so nothing peculiar he doenst belong to any breed, nor is a clear cut look alike...

Re finding a similiar: a) look for a soul, not the looks.
b) Hope for some spontan adoption., Ie, as if someone were sent to you from him. Peculiarly enough this happens more than occasionally! More than sheer statistics would give!
Perhaps a homeless cat seeking you out and coming to you. His look alike or his behavior alike.

c) A good variation is, if you go to a good shelter with many cats... If look see with whom you got connected with... There is your pick.
You may take two at the same time if so is.

spontaneously we try to patronize a non kill shelter. But the fact is, a high kill shelter may be even better: the cats there knows they are on the death row, and knows to appreciate their savior double up...
¨