Cat eating feathers, hair and other strange things.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kat003

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is your cat acting normally? How do their stools look in the box? Do you know if the stains are fresh? It might be best to call your vet with this information. They'll tell you what, specifically, to keep an eye on, and at what point, if any, you'd need to bring in your kitty.
Yes she is acting fine, she just pooped earlier and ate a few minutes ago. I know it's fresh because i checked up on her earlier and it wasnt there.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes she is acting fine, she just pooped earlier and ate a few minutes ago.
If you're able, can you examine some of the poo, and see if there's any blood in it? wear some gloves if you feel the need, and definitely bag some of it to take to the vet as FeebysOwner FeebysOwner has mentioned, especially if you notice any evidence of blood in the stool.

kat003

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. There are certain foods, due to their coloring, when vomited will look similar in color to blood. As said above, check the litter box, and continue to monitor your cat to see if you can catch them in the act of vomiting, on the chance the above pics are in fact vomit. You can take samples of both to the vet and they can check for the presence of blood. Just bag them in plastic, and take them to the vet as soon as you can. But, call the vet ahead of time and ask if they would check any samples you would bring in for traces of blood.
Oh, maybe it's just the food she's eaten sheba perfect portions today which has a reddish color to it.

kat003

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oddly enough, almost all of Feeby's food are orangish/reddish in color and it all comes out about the same color when she throws up!!!
I just thought it was weird because it was only around the brown part. I looked at her stool and it didnt have any blood in it and it was formed. I don't really know if I can make it to the vet today.

kat003

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you're able, can you examine some of the poo, and see if there's any blood in it? wear some gloves if you feel the need, and definitely bag some of it to take to the vet as FeebysOwner FeebysOwner has mentioned, especially if you notice any evidence of blood in the stool.
It didnt have any blood in it and it was formed, im thinking she might have eaten too much and puked some of her food up from this morning.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds plausible! :> Since her food was red, and she's otherwise acting normally, I'd just keep an eye on her for a couple days. If there's nothing unusual, I wouldn't worry about taking her in.

kat003

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sounds plausible! :> Since her food was red, and she's otherwise acting normally, I'd just keep an eye on her for a couple days. If there's nothing unusual, I wouldn't worry about taking her in.
Thank you for the help I was panicking!

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
My big concern would be hair getting caught up and causing an obstruction. If it gets caught up then it balls up and the cat can't throw it up so it needs surgery to remove it.

alphakitty

Beeqie - Sly Kitty - 2017
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat keeps eating my hair, I have long hair and it ends up everywhere. Sometimes she decides to play with the little hair balls my hair make and even eat them sometimes. The only thing I'm concerned about is, my hair has semi permanent dye in it at the moment. Should i be concerned ?
Hi there,

My speculation is that you may be using a hair spray or some bath cream or something similar that your kitty senses as being eatable or tastey. You might try other products to see if there is a change in the kitty's behavior.

Years ago, I heard about a kitty that was eating hair, it turned out that the kitty had an infection in the little guy's guts, which the kitty offset the pain by eating the hair. Antibiotics remedied the infection and the hair-eating subsequently ceased.

Eating hair, while it is organic is not a good thing.

A visit to the vet should certainly be on your to do list, stomach xray, etc.

Best of luck

Alpha_Kitty

alphakitty

Young Cat
Purraise
i have been feeding boiled egg yolks to graycie my gf has really long hair to it seems to be working she hasnt puked any hairballs recently and i have seen bits/tips of hair and one long strand of gf hair in her poop thoughits not fun chasing a cat trying to run away from the poop dangling from its butt cause of the long human hair
Oh my! That is a visual. I've not seen that in all my 50 years of sharing my life's journey with kitties. A hairy kitty dingle-berry!

Alpha_Kitty

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my! That is a visual. I've not seen that in all my 50 years of sharing my life's journey with kitties. A hairy kitty dingle-berry! its funny to see but its not :lol:cat running fast as it can the poop bouncing along behind:(leaving spots and smears if its on the softer side

alphakitty

Young Cat
Purraise
Yes she is acting fine, she just pooped earlier and ate a few minutes ago. I know it's fresh because i checked up on her earlier and it wasnt there.
A vist to the vet is likely the proper course in my opinion.

Best of Luck

Alpha_Kitty

kat003

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi there,

My speculation is that you may be using a hair spray or some bath cream or something similar that your kitty senses as being eatable or tastey. You might try other products to see if there is a change in the kitty's behavior.

Years ago, I heard about a kitty that was eating hair, it turned out that the kitty had an infection in the little guy's guts, which the kitty offset the pain by eating the hair. Antibiotics remedied the infection and the hair-eating subsequently ceased.

Eating hair, while it is organic is not a good thing.

A visit to the vet should certainly be on your to do list, stomach xray, etc.

Best of luck

Alpha_Kitty
Thank you, I made her an appointment for next week due to all the problems she's having including the "blood"

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my! That is a visual. I've not seen that in all my 50 years of sharing my life's journey with kitties. A hairy kitty dingle-berry! its funny to see but its not :lol:cat running fast as it can the poop bouncing along behind:(leaving spots and smears if its on the softer side
I've had it happen and it's not funny at all. It's messy and gross. Cleaning excrement off the floors,walls and furniture is gross.

kat003

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat will munch on random things and eat weird things. She's always begging for food. I feed her 3 times a day... and give her treats. She eats things off the floor like crumbs, has munched on feather and other things too. Someone mentioned pica but I don't think that's it. She has plenty of toys.. is she doing it out of boredom?? Sometimes when I'm working on school work and im not paying enough attention to her or petting her constantly she will start eating her food and has even eaten other weird things, I mean eating is normal but she starts it when I don't give her enough attention. Is it an attention type situation, where she does it to get my attention?? I dont have any idea why she does it. I adopted her, could she have been starved in the past or have some kind of trauma?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Too many variables involved based on your information. How old is she, how long have you had her, is she among other cats? Yes, boredom can play a part in her behavior. Not having enough food can do the same. Feeding her 3 times a day doesn't explain how much that is, and how much is appropriate for her depends on the questions I asked above. Give us some more detail and that might help immensely!!

kat003

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. Too many variables involved based on your information. How old is she, how long have you had her, is she among other cats? Yes, boredom can play a part in her behavior. Not having enough food can do the same. Feeding her 3 times a day doesn't explain how much that is, and how much is appropriate for her depends on the questions I asked above. Give us some more detail and that might help immensely!!
sorry, she eats about 1/3 of a cup in the morning and in the evening... a cup of her food is 397 cals,1/3 is about 132 cals. I feed her wet food in the middle of the day 2.8 oz can. She's a year old, have had her for about 3 or 4 months, and she is mostly by herself meaning she stays with me most of the time and is rarely around the other cats we have. She has her own food and water. I have been playing with her at least 3 times a day for about 30 minutes (recommended by someone else). She has plenty of toys so I don't know why it could be boredom.

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's OK! Is the eating issue new or has it been there all along during the time you have had her? Certainly there is a possibility that she feels food deprived if you don't know her history before she came to live with you. Does she eat everything that you put out for her each time?

Even at a year old, she could probably use to have some food left out all the time for her to eat. Additional cat 'entertainment' might help - cat trees/perches in front of windows for her to be able to look out, things that she can entertain herself with while you are not playing with her.

Any reason why she is not around the other cats? Are you still in the process of introducing her to them so that she cannot have full access to them? Do they not get along?

Keeping stuff out of her 'reach' that she tends to go for is something that you need to consider as well.

kat003

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's OK! Is the eating issue new or has it been there all along during the time you have had her? Certainly there is a possibility that she feels food deprived if you don't know her history before she came to live with you. Does she eat everything that you put out for her each time?

Even at a year old, she could probably use to have some food left out all the time for her to eat. Additional cat 'entertainment' might help - cat trees/perches in front of windows for her to be able to look out, things that she can entertain herself with while you are not playing with her.

Any reason why she is not around the other cats? Are you still in the process of introducing her to them so that she cannot have full access to them? Do they not get along?

Keeping stuff out of her 'reach' that she tends to go for is something that you need to consider as well.
It has been going on since we got her. Enrichment wise, she has a big window she like to lay on the desk in front of it and look out, she likes to watch the birds. I will be looking into a cat tree but I can't afford one right now. She does have the little scratching board things though. She always has some type of food out as she doesn't always finish it. Also, she doesn't get along very well with the other cats the only animal she is used to is my senior dog. She is very scared of the other animals we have due to some incidents that happened such as them chasing her and barking at her. The cats on the other hand, she just doesn't seem to like them, even through a closed door if she smells them or they stick their paw under the door she will hiss, and yes I have tried putting them in the same room but it doesn't work out. She only gets along with the old dog because he is very calm and stays to his self and she can sniff him at her own pace which unfortunately she cant do with the other animals. I am still trying to introduce them though. My mother suggested that she may have been starved at some point and that's why she acts the way she does.