Some feral trap probs

movinintime

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok, real quick, I only have a wk or so left to get him. Yesterday at 3pm, I put roast chick in 3/4 way into the safe trap. He went in & ate it! OMG!!!

But... I only put it 'almost' to the spring bar thus he didn't trap himself.:( My fault as had no idea he was this chancey/desensitized. So, I blew it! :(

My vet was waiting & I told, at 3pm,them -- I think I can get him -- but I stood above on my 2nd floor balcony looking down on 1st floor patio, where he & trap was open & set, w/ a string tied & me holding door up & open as he went in to it -- & couldv'e dropped the trap door --- but he's so long his tail wasn't in all way!!! :(

Thus I was SOO mad at me!!!, since had I put it in just a few inches more, like 4-5, I'd have him at vet now:( What a mess Imade. :( I came SOO CLOSE!!!

Ok, will retry. Now tho he's on to me. Saw him this morn but he didn't go for it yet. Its hot at 106 AZ temps, so will wait til later 2nite or early Sun morn.

Darn me, I messed up!!! :(

Ok, KFC is only thing not yet have I tried. Any toppers might help? Catnip works w/ some cats but not near food, yes?

Ok, TY all for hearing my failure story from 3pm yest! :(

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a chance he would have pulled his tail in. You didn’t mess up. Not getting them on the first try is par for the course. It takes time and you’ll get him. You will get him! :vibes:
Putting catnip might work. As shadowrescue said, try everything! I would put the food all the way to the back. If he went for roasted chicken, he may go for it again. I would try more if that. The Gerber 2nd foods all meat baby food takes time to lick up. You could add a bit of that. Be calm when he enters and let him get busy eating. You’re doing great.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

movinintime

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
TY:) Here's today's update.

This early morn about 4am I spotted him w/ my flashlite out back a ways from the trap. It was set all nite w/ kibble. But as soon as I got dressed & out of our 2nd flr apt, I looked again on 1st floor apt's lawn & he was gone. Somehow now, he trusts me less. But I don't think it had to do w/ 3:30pm Fri. when he went almost all way in. You know, I DID think he might pull tail in & in moment of hesitation blew it :(. But I errored on caution & regret this. So today got a bucket of KFC just now & another big roast Albertson's chicken, an antibio-free one.

I will try at 5pm or later today, as it is still triple digits now. He was outback on the underneath 1st flr patio this time yest, but saw me thru the sliding door coming w/ food & bolted. He then never came back to patio all day or last nite nor did he come by darkness -- even as it was cooling on the patio concrete slab.

He is either very wary of me, on to me bigtime or I dunno. Maybe he is eating elsewhere? He is driving me nuts, haha. But I'm so beside myslef for missing a shot at him 48 hrs ago.

Ok, more as I know tonite/today yet. It is almost 2pm AZ but awful warm out now, so I don't think he'll show for hrs yet. Unless he is down under me on patio now but out of my sight. If I lean too far over my 2nd flr balcony, haha, I can fall over & not a good thing as I can really get hurt.

I have alerted 2 neighbors that see/feed cats under us to the left of this unit he sleeps on patio of, & they'll shoo him over to me if they can. Problem is no one has seen him yet today or knows where he is asleep now in the heat of the day. But he must have shade but where?

All this is more ironic too, as I would have thought he was less scared of trap now & me, since he had nothing bad happen on Fri. eating 3/4 of way in the trap. But no, he seems more afraid or skitterish. Hmm...

Ok, more asap. ;)

movinintime

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Crazy ? but any asap tranquilizer used on cat to render him to be caught by hand?

I know it is nuts but I need him asap. If big cats in the wild can be stopped in their tracks almost asap, can a dose dependent med be given to him in food or such, & he would immediately be unable to run fast/far allowing me to grab him asap? I know it is extreme but I have no choice as he may get left forever here -- if I fail to get him by this coming Sat (by Thurs. if I want my vet to neuter him).

Ok, I may ask vet on Monday this. Gabapentin has been offered but it takes too long, he can run away, I can lose sight of him & thus it'd be dangerous to him if he is lost. But an immeditate tranquilizer like Haldol or a derivative may be called for -- if no ther way to catch/sedate pronto w/ this feral? TY all for not thinking I'm totally nuts -- even tho I'm at wits end & desperate.

Last edited by a moderator:

BlackCatOp

Black Cats Rule!
Adult Cat
Purraise
The tranquilizers (mainly Carfentanyl) used for large wildlife are highly controlled and dangerous drugs. They can easily cause respiratory depression and death of humans.

I do not know of a medication that would work for your application. It would be best to try to trap as suggested above.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know you are anxious but as far as I know the only safe thing is to just trap him. If he got away drugged in that heat you are likely to cause an awful end. Patience. He can sense your stress. Just keep regular schedule as you have been doing with him. Act as though nothing has changed .... ignore the fact that you are feeding in a trap but keep doing that. Slow and steady wins the race. I do realize time is a factor but cats have their own timeline. Don’t stop and don’t give up. If needed, put a trap where neighbors have been feeding too. You may catch others so make sure they are watching the second trap and be sure to get the cat out quickly due to the heat there.

movinintime

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
TY again everyone. I will look all night now that it is dark here & cooler. He isn't around yet, but neighbor did say they saw him last night & possibly today. Also, there's a tuxedo cat around too here in apts, thus they can confuse him (he is all black but way bigger than the tuxie) so unsure if they are accurate in that it is him vs the much thinner tuxie.

Acepromazine has been suggested too & I know it has immediate effects. I will ask vet Monday re ANY ideas she may have. So right now at 8pm AZ time, he is nowhere around. Very unusual & worrisome again. He does not roam & is ALWAYS here by now to eat or drink. This is most bizarre too, as we are moving very soon & all of a sudden -- despite not being spooked Friday & eating IN the trap that one day too w/out seemingly ANY fear -- he now is gone since yesterday.

I don't know if it was him or the tuxie yesterday, as I too saw a black cat in neighbor's apt yard. This morn at 4am I saw a black cat too, shined flashlite but cat went off by the time I dressed quickly to try to ascertain who it was. So this is kind of nuts, I know.

Ok, will update later or early morn if I have any new news then/now re his disappearance let alone his trapping chances. Unreal this could happen all of a sudden so close to my move out.

I DO have a bucket of KFC & also, more roast chicken from Albertson's deli too! So I just made a huge bowl of both mixed in now in fridge. As soon as early morn comes, say 3-4am or earlier, if I see ANY black cat or cat shadows, I will put it in & reset trap. There is kibble in it now & trap is again set, as darkness has come. He has both KFC greasy chicken then & the roast chicken he liked Friday at 3pm in a big bowl ready to serve. If I put it in now, ants will come. Thus, it need be when I see him somewhere out back on the grass area, either out back of here or neighbor's yard next door.

Please, Wish me luck.

Last edited:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he has been aware of any packing or moving of things, he may be a little nervous. Cats are very tuned into any changes. Just keep on. You’ll get him. Give him a little time to settle back again. Sending you all the luck I can find! All hopes, wishes, love and kitty attracting vibes! :vibes::goodluck::crossfingers::hugs::purr:

movinintime

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
TY Jcatbird SO VERY MUCH! I NEED it! :)

I just hope nothing happened by coincidence since yesterday. Yes, he sees me more often now & MUCH closer as carrying food right into the trap. I awakened him a few times yesterday since he lays on patio near it, & then -- here I come w/ a bowl. I normally lower it from 2nd flr apt but now am going downstairs to put it physically in the open trap. Maybe this is THE reason!

movinintime

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
:( No sign of him this morn yet! I hope he's ok wherever he is.

Asked neighbors yet no one saw him. But one man said he did think yest he thinks, seeing Blackie asleep on my nextdoor patio in shade. Dunno what time tho. We went out & made a trail just now, of KFC leading back to my apt. There's 4 places the KFC is left for now that he used to frequent. It may get ants on it, but I NEED to chance it. I have 2 big bowls ready if he shows tho,1 for in his trap & 1 for outside of it & near it. But they're both in fridge keeping cold as its almost 100 here again today.

Ok, called my vet & maybe, tech said, vet can give Acepromazine but it need be compounded to dosage for him (he's 12 lbs) & flavored as it isn't palatable she said in reg. form. I will await her call back re it from vet. Also, she will ask vet re benzodiazepines, Ativan & Xanax too. He is still scheduled for neuter surg Thurs morn but I need FIND & catch/trap him yet 1st.

More as I can.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats always know. Try not to worry. Even my indoor cats seem to know that a vet is scheduled. I think we tip them off by our actions but if we remain cool, calm and collected, the cats settle down. He’s smart. He’s nearby and probably watching you with a cat smile. He thinks he can trick you but the thing is, you’re not giving up! You’ll outwait him until he just can’t resist that chicken. I have been through this. Jelly nearly drove me nuts! She was right here in my yard with her kittens and just as I was thinking I would get them all..... poof! Gone! I thought something might have happened. Nope! They were fine and just hiding from me. I got them. I had a trap miss with Kelly too but my second chance came and I yanked that string soooooo hard and fast! Lol I got her. Don’t despair or let your anxiety get you too worked up. You can do this. You will do this.

movinintime

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Unable to get him tho we can see him as of 8am this morn, in a few apt yards over from us. He's in neighbors' yards & keeps moving back & forth. A few ppl have tried to grab him but he's fast. One neighbor tho is seeming to hoard a few ferals we found out from our apt staff. Long story but she's obstructing us & can I do anything re it legally??

He won't come to us for food or shade or even h2o. A mess now to get him. May need ppd our Sat. 7/4 flight, to move out to back east.

Vet gave me Gabapentin at 100mg x2 pills = 200mg this morn. Will try to get it to him after 5-6pm in small food amount. I can't get him to come near us. I took trap in as it helps no, he's scared of it now. Me missing him last Fri. -- by NOT pulling string when he was all but a few inches of tail in trap -- hurts bad now. Now look at my mess. :(

Xanax & Ativan have been suggested but unsure if vet will gove them? She isn't keen on using either for him but I know not what to do..

Anyone know dose of either to use on 12lb cat, & if so, WHICH to use or which is best??

Ok, will update & please share ANY help asap. I am scared we can't get him in time. We can stay til July 31 in this apt, but cost of now 2 apts in diff. states, etc. is really taxing us. TY everyone.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would put the trap in another location but keep trying. If you have access to borrow more traps, put them in as many locations as possible. My Dad has the exact same situation. He is elderly and the cat was feral but raised there. The way we caught her was by putting traps along the edges of the building, along pathways between bushes and where she ate. The trap along the edge of the building that was covered and slightly under a bush caught her on his last day at his house. I live near and would have kept traveling there to get her but I just didn’t give up. Don’t give up!
As for the person interfering, have you tried talking to them? Maybe if they hoard and understand you love that cat, you can enlist their help? Tell them that this one is your baby but got scared by moving stuff and you are desperate to get him to take him when you go? Let them know he will be a cherished inside baby. Let them know he needs more surgery and you need to get him to have that done. If need be, show them the vet papers as proof. I don’t know the laws there but here, a vet bill helps to establish proof of the kitty being your legal responsibility. Some would say “owner.” Be kind but show them how much you love him.
Others are trying to “grab” him? That could make him hide. He needs a quiet routine and nothing to change around him. I know you are anxious and everyone is trying to help but imagine if you were him and everyone was chasing and grabbing at you. Put everything back to what you were doing the day he first entered the trap. Feed, water, his peaceful life back and be patient. That’s the hardest part but it works.
Personally, I am very afraid of drugging him. I understand you feel a time and money pressure but if there is any way to do anything besides drugging, I would not drug. I’m so sorry that I cannot just encourage that but it makes me very nervous for him. He could lay down somewhere that you cannot get him and get too hot or something could happen. Perhaps others will not agree but that’s my take on that. Truly last resort. More traps please. Many places will lend or let you borrow by putting a deposit until you return it. Ask the vet, rescue groups, humane societies or post for help online.
Sending strong ,” here kitty kitty” vibes! :vibes::lovecat4: Don’t give up. Calm, peace and love purrs.

movinintime

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
TY Jcatbird!;)
Well, he only HAD just ONE testicle after all! In Dec., when he was partially neutered, vet thought it needed part 2 to find the 2nd testicle. But turns out there's none! Strange but so be it. Also, vet gave him the 6 mos. boosters of 2 vaccines. He will come home Friday nite. Oh re a MICROCHIP -- is it really needed? I declined it as I worry of implants. What do you feral owners say? I shouldv'e said no to boosters too, but was too late when they called & said it was done. Are they really safe?

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I give shots and most of my cats have chips. My eldest were rescued before chips were common place and they came from an Felv colony so most of that colony passed. I have the few survivors. Spay Neuter and shots might have saved more if I had found the colony sooner. The thing about ferals and chips is that IF a feral or any cat does slip outside, he can be returned to you if he is recovered. I can’t tell you how many times I have found or responded to someone who found a feral or stray and hoped it had a chip so they could find the family. I can’t address what we may learn in the next twenty years, only what I face so often now. I also answer those who are looking for their lost kitty.
Shots. I have gotten immunizations for far over a hundred cats and kittens in the past three years. I update annually. I just had updates on five in the past two weeks. All is well and some were young, some older cats. So far, no bad reactions. I know reactions can happen but have not seen any here and I have been getting shots for my cats over my entire lifetime. ( waaaay long time. Lol) There is a good chance that the shots may be required for travel or the new location. Rabies is pretty much a law in this country and if you ever have to take kitty for a vet stay or even to evacuate from a storm, proof of vaccines is a must to get into a shelter with him. I prefer annual shots. The long term vaccinations are not as “tested”. I keep a file in a large notebook to grab if I ever need it. I can’t exactly take all of my rescues to a shelter during a hurricane but I have evacuated with them. At that time I had 16 to take with me and another lady near here took 60! A person that owned a wharehouse let her use it as a shelter. If anyone ever got a bite from your kitty, including you, proof of vaccines can be very important. If kitty ever got outside and bitten by another cat, that’s another reason you will be glad he had his shots. He will be protected. I guess we all weigh the pros and cons but I get the shots.

Again, I applaud your patience and diligence in fighting to save this kitty! I know the stress has been awful but I really felt you would accomplish all that you set out to do. It’s been a journey but I think the rest will be far less of a strain. I know you still have to travel and adjust to a new home but , for me, the greatest worry was when the cats were at risk outside. Talk to the vet about traveling with him. Travel with him in the cabin with you if possible. A secure hard carrier if possible and a harness and leash on hand as well. Take wet wipes, a small trash bag and cover the carrier during travel if he is nervous. (I can tell you that clean ups can happen. Lol Potty time? Ewww.) Some treats might be nice too if allowed on the flight. Catnip too maybe? Check with the airline. Make your list, check it with each end of the journey and start enjoying the fact that you don’t have to stand vigil outside or keep carrying food or setting traps. Socializing will come and this kitty will be a joy for life. You have gotten over the hump! I know everyone is celebrating with you tonight! Please do keep us updated!
Now you just have to share with others about ,” How you catch a Feral Twice!” ;)
:clap2::redheartpump:

Last edited: