Some Dog/cat Advice

GameJeannie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My current furry baby, Echo, is a 6yo kitty and is kind of a diva. She's had a bit of a tough history and I got her as a rescue, so since having a more stable home she can be a bit neurotic and demanding. She's wonderful and loving and so crazy, but other than myself, she doesn't really like people and, on the two occasions when a second cat has been in the home, she has not reacted well. The first time I was babysitting a friend's cat for two weeks and they...tolerated eachother, the second time I thought to introduce a friend to her and Echo ended up ill with the stress, and I was forced to re-home my new friend.

So long-story short (too late, I know) I've always adored Yorkies and have a friend who has to re-home her 6yo lady due to housing issues, and I would absolutely love to bring her into my home. However, I'm very worried that Echo may react badly and that it may cause her more stress and anxiety (not to mention that to myself). I've done a lot of reading about introducing cats and dogs effectively, but I live in fear of Echo's masterful look of betrayal...and I would also hate to have to rehome my friend's dog AGAIN if it doesn't work out.

I know that no one can definitely give an answer to this, as no one can be certain, but from the experience of others, do you find that a cat's reaction to other cats/people is different than their reaction to bringing a dog into the house?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
do you find that a cat's reaction to other cats/people is different than their reaction to bringing a dog into the house?
Sometimes, yes.
Would there be any way that, at least to somewhat test the possibility, that you-all could bring the dog for a visit, and see how Echo reacts, --if you haven't done this already? I realize, that wouldn't necessarily be an indication of how things might turn out for the long term, but still...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GameJeannie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!
Would there be any way that, at least to somewhat test the possibility, that you-all could bring the dog for a visit, and see how Echo reacts, --if you haven't done this already? I realize, that wouldn't necessarily be an indication of how things might turn out for the long term, but still...
Unfortunately, she lives out of town and the logistics of it wouldn't really work...we did try to sort it out, actually. Thank you for the suggestion, though!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My Big Fellow didn't respond at ALL to the feliway that was being put through the air conditioning system at one of my ex veterinarians, but seemed to be a little more relaxed with the Comfort Zone when there were little kids around which he doesn't like. However, there are other products with different ingredients such as L-Tryptophan and casein.

In addition some people are using CBD oil.

There is Zylkene, Calming Care, Calm-o-mile, Sentry, Natures Miracle calming spray, Vetri-Science's Composure is another item to look at, Pet Remedy (it has valerian) is yet another, as is Essential Pet Pet-ease, Only Natural Pet (brand and website) has a calming product, Pet Naturals also has one I believe.
Also Thunderease has diffusers.
Lambert Vet Supply is a website to look at, and of course amazon and chewy, also there's Petwishpros, drsfostersmith, animaleo.

There are a couple of recent discussions about calming items, here's the link to one thread. Post #6 in this has a link to the second discussion.
Calming Treats?

GameJeannie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Big Fellow didn't respond at ALL to the feliway that was being put through the air conditioning system at one of my ex veterinarians, but seemed to be a little more relaxed with the Comfort Zone when there were little kids around which he doesn't like. However, there are other products with different ingredients such as L-Tryptophan and casein.

In addition some people are using CBD oil.

There is Zylkene, Calming Care, Calm-o-mile, Sentry, Natures Miracle calming spray, Vetri-Science's Composure is another item to look at, Pet Remedy (it has valerian) is yet another, as is Essential Pet Pet-ease, Only Natural Pet (brand and website) has a calming product, Pet Naturals also has one I believe.
Also Thunderease has diffusers.
Lambert Vet Supply is a website to look at, and of course amazon and chewy, also there's Petwishpros, drsfostersmith, animaleo.

There are a couple of recent discussions about calming items, here's the link to one thread. Post #6 in this has a link to the second discussion.
Calming Treats?
Wow, this is great, thank you! Echo didn't respond to Feliway either, but I will definitely check some of these other products out. Even if Nibbler (the dog) doesn't join our house, these might be good for Echo when there are visitors over. Thanks!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
We have had several cats over the years with our dog and each cat reacted differently, e.g. two were not thrilled but tolerated him and one absolutely adored him. Cats are individuals and there's really no telling how Echo will react. This Article may be helpful: Cats As Individuals

Since you mentioned you cannot bring the dog over for a "meet & greet" since your friend lives out-of-town, can you introduce her to another small dog to test her reaction? I would hope with time and patience your cat might adjust but just as you said there are no guarantees. Due to the fact that you mentioned Echo can become anxious and easily stressed I would take the introductions very slowly. Best of luck, please keep us posted. :goodluck:

GameJeannie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks, Neely. That's a great idea regarding bringing in another small dog; there are a few people in my building who own small dogs, so I will speak to one of them today about that!

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It really depends on the two animals. I have a Morkie (Maltese/Yorkie). She is a yappy dog and loves to chase and bark at the cats.
My advantage is that neither cat is timid or anxious and my big cat, Samai, can take her out.
My neighbor has AKC Yorkies and they are very energetic yappy dogs.

If the Yorkie you are thinking about getting is used to cats and extremely well trained, this may work for you. If not, then I would seriously think about it.
I don't want to be the one to play Devils Advocate, but with a timid anxious cat, this may not be a good match for you.