Some Cat Questions

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Darkiplier

The Sire
Adult Cat
Purraise
It is known fact that a pure white cat is fairly often deaf, especially if the cat has one, or even more so, two blue eyes. With no blue eyes, the % is around 17%, but rises over 80% with two blue eyes, per what I read. You mentioned hetechromia so I assume one blue eye, which means a risk of deafness of around 40 something percent. To state the obvious, deaf cats are not well suited to survive outdoors. You mentioned that she looks to be in great shape, but if she seems deaf it would be hard to argue with taking her in. If there is an owner that gives a hoot, they can put up flyers and you can explain that you were concerned that she was a stray given the absence of a collar and the apparent deafness.

If she can hear and looks to be in great shape, you might leave her be, unless that is the cat you mentioned gets pregnant every year. It would be the height of irresponsibility for an owner to let a blue eyed white cat give birth outside, because some of the kittens may be deaf. I mean, its probably irresponsible to let her have a litter outside every year regardless, but the possibility of deaf kittens outside is an extra issue. In that scenario, I would not worry about the possibility of an owner - adopt, get her spayed, and enjoy the company of a beautiful cat knowing you did the right thing.
Does the blue eyes/deafness relationship also apply to Siamese cats?

Also, would it be a good idea to buy/adopt a cat and her child?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No. Siamese cat eyes are always various shades of blue. Siamese Eye Colors

Siamese are known to be unusually vocal, although this may not be a big issue, especially if not purebred. Still, if adopting 2 Siamese cats get ready for some chatting.

A mother and child that have been together continuously should get along at least. If you put two stranger cats together, there can be issues. So it is an advantage in that sense. Some mother cats get distraught, at least for a time, if their kittens are taken, so that is another issue perhaps, especially if you want two cats anyway.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Darkiplier

The Sire
Adult Cat
Purraise
No. Siamese cat eyes are always various shades of blue. Siamese Eye Colors

Siamese are known to be unusually vocal, although this may not be a big issue, especially if not purebred. Still, if adopting 2 Siamese cats get ready for some chatting.

A mother and child that have been together continuously should get along at least. If you put two stranger cats together, there can be issues. So it is an advantage in that sense. Some mother cats get distraught, at least for a time, if their kittens are taken, so that is another issue perhaps, especially if you want two cats anyway.
I catcalled and the mother ignored me, but she'd follow my finger when I'd move it before her cage. They were very quiet, but then again, they were asleep at first and they seemed to be really drowsy once they woke up. I mean, the kitten barely opened its eyes before sleeping again.