Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community

Some Actual Conservative Thought On The Folly Of Tariffs

Discussion in 'IMO: In My Opinion' started by doomsdave, May 15, 2019.

1. doomsdave

doomsdave Thread Starter TCS Member Top Cat

Dec 2, 2016
    California
    Ah, the National Review. I find I agree with them more than I disagree. In the past, they pronounced the "War on Drugs" a failure, among other things. But, the Bread and Circuses crowd loves tariffs, even as they're decimated by them.

Farmers, for starters. Hard to believe they support You Know Who, though people always vote against their interests. Retaliatory tariffs destroy their market for bumper crops, then cause prices to rise on things they need like equipment, which isn't the big thrust of the National Review article, but bears noting.

The Folly of Protectionist Tariffs

Studies show that the lower your income is, the harder you’ll be hit by tariffs. Tariffs imposed by Trump last year have already cost poor families 0.33 percent of after-tax income, as opposed to 0.28 percent for wealthy families, and hurt single parents even more than they hurt families. Trump’s latest tariffs will likely be even more regressive. And while each new tariff’s impact is relatively small, they cumulatively take a big hit out of poor people’s income.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    DreamerRose purraised this.

2. Willowy

Willowy TCS Member Top Cat

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    I think that's probably half the point.

3. denice

denice Advisor Staff Member Advisor

Feb 7, 2006
    Columbus OH
    Everything that the Republican party used to stand for has went out the window. Republicans had been for unrestricted free trade. They used to be the ones that didn't want to get involved in foreign wars unless U.S. interests were directly affected. Going back to before the Evangelicals became a voting block they weren't for the government getting involved in moral and religious affairs, that changed with Roe v Wade. They used to be very interested in controlling government spending and national debt.

Democrats were the ones that used to talk about the need for tariffs, it was the Republicans who were always against them in any form.

doomsdave purraised this.

4. doomsdave

Dec 2, 2016
    California
    That was then, this is now.

micknsnicks2mom purraised this.

5. orange&white

orange&white TCS Member Top Cat

Aug 22, 2008
    Texas

6. orange&white

Aug 22, 2008
    Texas
    Farmers are not supporting Trump's tariffs though. Neither a most Republican Senators supporting them.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...a575670e91c_story.html?utm_term=.fea5a7e375d5

Trump’s refusal to lift tariffs on steel and aluminum imported from Mexico and Canada has sparked a revolt among Senate Republicans, who are refusing to approve his new North American trade deal until he lifts those tariffs.

Opposition has been especially pronounced among senators representing farm states that have been hurt by Mexico’s retaliatory tariffs on U.S. agricultural products.

7. doomsdave

Dec 2, 2016
    California
    Kind of paradoxical isn't it?

8. doomsdave

Dec 2, 2016
    California
    Whatever Senators have said, I've heard comments on radio call in shows that say that at least some farmers will support DT anyway, "tariffs or no" as a guy put it.

9. orange&white

Aug 22, 2008
    Texas
    Yeah, versus support Bernie or Biden. Close to 50% of voters will do the same.