Solvent-based furniture upholstery cleaners

Gremlin's Guesthouse

Rescue Sanctuary
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm replacing my couch and the fabric I'm considering must be cleaned with a water-free dry cleaning product. Has anyone used this type of product, and are they safe to use around pets?

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, I would not use anything solvent based around animals on furniture. Steaming and probiotic sprays are a better option if it needs cleaned. It is also better to get furniture with removable pillow covers so they can be washed at home.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I also would avoid solvents. They are questionable for use around humans, but I would not want them near any animals I owned.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gremlin's Guesthouse

Rescue Sanctuary
Young Cat
Purraise
No, I would not use anything solvent based around animals on furniture. Steaming and probiotic sprays are a better option if it needs cleaned. It is also better to get furniture with removable pillow covers so they can be washed at home.
Thanks. I'll be going into the store today to see if I can find fabric in the "W" category. This piece of furniture is quite expensive, so probably will not be putting covers in the washer. Have given the past 30 years to lots of cats, and now wanting to spend the last years left on some of my creature comforts (while of course keeping the last 3 babies safe and healthy).

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I do understand that. We are still at the "let me find some nice slipcovers" stage of furnishing.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I'll be going into the store today to see if I can find fabric in the "W" category. This piece of furniture is quite expensive, so probably will not be putting covers in the washer. Have given the past 30 years to lots of cats, and now wanting to spend the last years left on some of my creature comforts (while of course keeping the last 3 babies safe and healthy).
I have completely reupholstered two couches and a chair myself with the help of my Wizard. What a job. I put waterproof protectors over the cushions and fabric covers on top, all with zippers. I wash them maybe once every couple of years, vacuum etc. as needed and they are in great condition. I use the gentle wash cycle and mild detergent. I have never steamed them yet. Good luck!