Solensia

jarn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Timothy will be 15 in October. So not old, but a senior kitty.

He's had elbow arthritis (pretty destroyed) for quite some time, probably since we adopted him. He weighed 23.4lbs when we adopted him and is now a pretty healthy weight (we did start feeding Hill's oral care and both cats have since gained a bit of weight, but we're taking steps to get them back down, especially Timothy given his arthritis - I'd like him to be as light as is possible while remaining healthy).

He's taken cartrophen, it helped a bit, but sort of levelled out. Our other cat, Cordelia, is 10 years younger and while they're very close and he chases her occasionally (and he will terrorise the dogs when required), Cordelia and Timothy are definitely differently matched that way. He still is a bit stiff when he walks.

I took him to the vet Wednesday - I'd noticed some change to the colour of his iris on Tuesday, and I wanted it looked at to be certain it was melanosis and nothing worse. All good, it's melanosis, no signs of it being raised and no signs of glaucoma. We will continue to monitor for any changes of course.

While we were there, the vet mentioned there's a new medication for cats with arthritis now available in Canada and the owners of patients who have been given it have really found it helps.

Solensia is a monoclonal antibody that neutralises nerve growth factor so it helps stop the pain associated with arthritis. He had his first injection Wednesday, it's a monthly medication and if it helps him (I know it can take a few treatments) I'm hoping we can just do the injections at home rather than taking him to the vet every month.

There's going to be a dog version available here in a few months, which is also exciting as our husky/lab mix turns 15 in April and has arthritis.

Anyways, interested in hearing if you're cat(s) have taken solensia and what sort of changes you saw. I'm so excited that could make a real difference.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Feeby (18+ yo) started Solensia about 4 months ago (just had her 4th shot last week). I didn't notice a whole lot of difference after just one shot but there was a bit of improvement by shot #2. I'd say even more improvement after shot #3. She is no longer limping as she was before the injections. There are some members on this site that saw improvement after just one shot - so, it apparently will differ from cat to cat.

The only thing worrisome for me is that it hasn't been around long enough to have had longer term studies done, although I understand it has been used in Europe for longer than it has in the US. Tbh, I decided not to let that worry me too much given Feeby's age and her multiple health conditions. If something is going to get her any time soon, I'd rather she has some enjoyment now with her better mobility/less pain.

I haven't asked about giving the injections at home just yet. I do give Feeby B-12 injections at home, but they are given 'sub-Q' and I think Solensia is injected into muscle.

Just as FYI, there is another injection, called Adequan, that has been available longer (don't know about the studies since I don't use it) and not only helps with arthritic pain but contains joint supplements as well. I think it is a series of several shots that are weekly before it is eventually tapered down to once a month - one of the reasons I opted against it; Feeby has to see the vet often enough as it is.

Mac and Cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We have a 13-ish year old female cat that was diagnosed with arthritis well over a year ago. We did an x-ray and she has a little hump on her back, plus some other stuff that confirmed she has arthritis issues. She is a petite cat and is sort of short and stubby. We at first tried gabapentin and a muscle relaxer, but she discovered that we were tricking her via Pill Pockets and was extremely hard to pill otherwise at the time. So, we halted any treatments. Fast forward to a few months ago and I noticed she was not acting like herself. She was then diagnosed with hyperthyroid and thus I began pilling her again. Over time, she got easier to pill. At one of her last vet visits to check her T4, I mentioned that she had gotten very lethargic and just wasn't moving from her nap spot except to use the litter box and eat/drink once in a while. She had stopped really jumping up on our bed or anywhere else. I suspected it was due to her untreated arthritis and that it had probably gotten worse. I'm glad I mentioned it because our vet said that Solensia was now available in the US. I jumped at the chance and we started her on it that day. She has now had her second injection about two weeks ago and I have started Gabapentin twice daily again as well in conjunction with her first injection. She has improved significantly. She has started jumping up on the bed and into the window and actually moving locations throughout the day. Previously, she was a big talker, but that also stopped several months ago. The other day she was talking to me quite a bit and even has started asking for pets again. I suspect that she has had some form of issue her whole life because she has never liked to have her back pet ever and she lets you know all about how she doesn't like it. With the injection (and probably also the Gabapentin doesn't hurt either), she now tolerates back pets. To me, the improvements are totally worth the $80/month and a vet visit. I think she is feeling much, much better. Good luck with your kitty and I hope it helps!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jarn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks FeebysOwner FeebysOwner

I am pretty sure cartrophen is basically the same thing as adequan, if not the same thing and just different brand names (Canada vs. US). Carprofen is an NSAID, something else, why two meds have to sound more similar! But Timothy's cartrophen we gave biweekly for a couple of weeks and then weekly and then monthly. That was sub-q so we gave it at home. It helped slightly and then sort of plateaued.

It sounds like overall most cats have so me improvement, though varying lengths of time for it to work. We're away Sun-Fri with the dogs at cabins (we have our adored cat sitter visiting a few times a day) and our vet said, wait until you get back and see if you notice a difference.

I think we'll give it at least 4 months to really see if there's a difference. It's not cheap though, Timothy's dose Wednesday was $150!

jarn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for sharing your experience Mac and Cats Mac and Cats - that's so nice to hear! I am so glad your girl is doing better.

(Also I am jealous of your solensia price!)

jarn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Absolutely! I know that hearing other's stories can really help me. So, I am happy to share. What is the charge where you are at?
Timothy's is $150/injection. I don't know if that's because it's Canadian dollars vs. US currency, or because I'm in Toronto, which is one of Canada's more expensive cities, and while I'm not in the core, I do live in the city proper so costs to run a business like salaries are likely higher.

Which isn't to complain - I adore our vet, they don't push stuff if they don't think it's valuable. They'll say - we can do this - but it's not necessary and here's why. I used to help run a cat rescue, was the emergency vet approver, ran the TNR program, etc., and while I'm not a vet expert - I have been in a lot of vet clinics, so I feel really lucky to be where we are.

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My price is $75 for the shot and $25 for the office visit, so $100. I go to a feline only practice In the southern part of the US.

jarn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My price is $75 for the shot and $25 for the office visit, so $100. I go to a feline only practice In the southern part of the US.
Wow! The vet visit was $98 so with tax the whole visit was $280.

I am hoping we don’t have to pay exam fees every time. I was there for his eye so fingers crossed.

(You don’t want to know what the annual exams cost - $185 - but we get a 10% discount on annuals because we have more than one pet. At least our vet gives out “paws” every time you spend $100 or more and once you have 16 paws you can redeem it for $100 off your next visit or medication or whatever…)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I paid $94 for a Solensia injection (times before were $88 - price increase, I guess). Gladly, because these shots can be given by the techs, there is no office visit charge, even though my vet now requires appts. with the techs.

jarn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I paid $94 for a Solensia injection (times before were $88 - price increase, I guess). Gladly, because these shots can be given by the techs, there is no office visit charge, even though my vet now requires appts. with the techs.
Our vet also does appointments if you need a tech - fingers crossed that’s what we’ll do here!!!

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Charlie just had his first shot last month, His second will be April17th. They are going to show me how to do it at home.

That being said the vet said it's mild and I'm rethinking ti for a number of reasons. One is the long term effects, he's only 10.5 years old and has other health issues and two the cost. (I have 4 cats all with various health issues so I have to consider all of that sadly.)

I was actually thinking since it's mild perhaps do the shots in spring and fall when the weather is the wettest and would cause the most issues for him and would be of the best benefit. I will say it appears to have helped.

jarn jarn I'm Niagara. Cost was $168 (oops wrong 163.50 just checked)+ taxes and the vet Visit of 100.00 (but the vet visit was waived this last time as he was in a few weeks ago for limping. They were very kind to do that.) . I do have one of the most expensive Vets in the area (Niagara's vets are not cheap either though and they are considered one of the best in the area and that comes at a cost but they are worth it IMHO.)

As he's 16 pounds he requires two vials so that increases the cost a bit. (He's not fat like my poor Mia is - he's just very long and tall. Big kitty.)

Last edited:

jarn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh wow and here I thought I paid the most! I hope if you keep Charlie on it you see a difference.

Today would've been Timothy's third dose but we cancelled. They say 60 days and that's when you should see a difference. Timothy has good days, bad days, he had good days, bad days before. He HAS however, started hovering on cushions next to where Neb (our 15 year old dog who is wary of cats) is lying and...gyrating...his hips in such a way that I feel like he's about to launch himself on a suicide mission of love (it wouldn't really be, but Neb would not appreciate being mounted by an amorous Timothy). That's the big change we've seen, and to be honest, it's not a welcome one. MAYBE it means he's feeling better? I don't know. I've googled and haven't come across it as a side effect (goodness knows what my internet prompts will now be haha).

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I went to a talk on it given by the company that makes it. They didn’t really explain exactly how it works. So far have seen good results.

Have used Adequan and there definitely isn’t an immediate improvement with either.

I would try it.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh wow and here I thought I paid the most! I hope if you keep Charlie on it you see a difference.

Today would've been Timothy's third dose but we cancelled. They say 60 days and that's when you should see a difference. Timothy has good days, bad days, he had good days, bad days before. He HAS however, started hovering on cushions next to where Neb (our 15 year old dog who is wary of cats) is lying and...gyrating...his hips in such a way that I feel like he's about to launch himself on a suicide mission of love (it wouldn't really be, but Neb would not appreciate being mounted by an amorous Timothy). That's the big change we've seen, and to be honest, it's not a welcome one. MAYBE it means he's feeling better? I don't know. I've googled and haven't come across it as a side effect (goodness knows what my internet prompts will now be haha).
Remember too that Charlie is two vials, so that probably increases the cost. Is Timothy on two as well, or one?

Niagara is a lot like Toronto prices for things being a tourist town and all, car insurance is one example due to out-of-town drivers etc. I think housing prices are still higher in TO though - but we're really getting up there with that too as everyone keeps wanting to move here, or they buy homes and rent them out. That's happening more and more here where homes are often not owned by locals but by out of town people.

That might very well be a sign that he is feeling better LOL. Poor doggy might be very confused by the love onset!

P.S. I did find the drug online at petsmeds for 107$ for two vials - but - here is the thing...

- As far as I know - it's a refrigerated drug.
- The vet already told me it's UNSTABLE outside the vial so once it's out of the vial it has to be used right away.
- Not sure I'd trust an online pet meds place.

Hi. I went to a talk on it given by the company that makes it. They didn’t really explain exactly how it works. So far have seen good results.

Have used Adequan and there definitely isn’t an immediate improvement with either.

I would try it.
Thanks for this! For those interested I was reading about what the FDA said about how it works. It stops the pain signals from reaching the brain.

This is the FDA note:

FDA Approves Novel Treatment to Control Pain in Cats with Osteoarthritis, First Monoclonal Antibody Drug for Use in Any Animal Species (link)

" Frunevetmab, the active ingredient in Solensia, is a cat-specific monoclonal antibody (a type of protein) designed to recognize and attach to a protein called nerve growth factor (NGF) that is involved in the regulation of pain. When frunevetmab binds to NGF, it prevents the pain signal from reaching the brain. "

The long term effect one I saw was an impact on the kidneys. I have to find that one again though.

Last edited:

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
My 13 year old cat Ozzy has developed arthritis. We tried Adequan. He got one injection a week for a month I think and then I was able to give it to him once a month at home. It seemed to work for awhile but then he was limping again. I eventually stopped giving it to him. I also tried Cosequin powder which seemed to work just as well as the Adequan but he got to know when I'd put it in his food and wouldn't eat if it was in there. :(

The vet has now suggested Solensia. It would be $150 a month. She doesn't want us to give it at home. Says it's not something you want to accidentally prick yourself with. :dunno:

We've been working on getting Ozzy to lose some weight, he's down 1-1/2 lbs. and is just about at the right weight now. That is helping, he doesn't limp much at all, can still run and jump up on furniture he isn't supposed to get on. :lol: He's got another vet appointment in a couple of months for routine vaccines and I'll have another chat with the vet to decide whether we need to try the Solensia.

jarn jarn Do let us know how it goes with Timothy and his treatments. I hope it works for him!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
For what it's worth, Carleton was at the vet two weeks ago for bloodwork and blood pressure check. I talked to her once before about Solensia because I was curious but it was almost a year ago. Although Carleton has some arthritis I don't feel it is at the point where it prevents him from doing anything he enjoys, i.e. he still jumps in his cat tree, on our bed without any difficulty, plays, etc. Last year the vet's office only had one kitty getting Solensia but now there are others. BTW, the vet office is a feline only practice. She said one of her concerns was not seeing any reports/research on Solensia for Stage 3 & 4 arthritis but since Carleton is not ready to start it this is a moot point for him.

jarn jarn and F FeralHearts Best of luck with Timothy and Charlie. :crossfingers: Please keep us posted on their progress.

jarn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Remember too that Charlie is two vials, so that probably increases the cost. Is Timothy on two as well, or one?

Niagara is a lot like Toronto prices for things being a tourist town and all, car insurance is one example due to out-of-town drivers etc. I think housing prices are still higher in TO though - but we're really getting up there with that too as everyone keeps wanting to move here, or they buy homes and rent them out. That's happening more and more here where homes are often not owned by locals but by out of town people.

That might very well be a sign that he is feeling better LOL. Poor doggy might be very confused by the love onset!

P.S. I did find the drug online at petsmeds for 107$ for two vials - but - here is the thing...

- As far as I know - it's a refrigerated drug.
- The vet already told me it's UNSTABLE outside the vial so once it's out of the vial it has to be used right away.
- Not sure I'd trust an online pet meds place.

The long term effect one I saw was an impact on the kidneys. I have to find that one again though.
House prices in Toronto are still ridiculous, but I think it's spread all over the place. Even really far north (and I do mean really far north, like Lake Superior) has hugely jumped in price. We are club members at a winery in NOTL (Southbrook), so we go out there sort-of regularly (though often the owner's son delivers to us, it's lovely) - we exit the QEW in the outskirts of St. Catharine's, there are some really cute (though small) houses but I probably don't want to know what they sell for these days. We rent a good-sized 2-bedroom (older building) but even there - we're way below market because we've been here a long time, but our rent is going up $66/month in June! It could be worse, I suppose, we could be renewing a mortgage.

They always brought it in prepared in the needle, so I am not sure how many vials - based on syringe size and that he only got one needle, I am guessing just one vial? Not sure. I believe it is refrigerated drug. I also would not be comfortable buying prescription drugs online unless direct from the manufacturer I suppose.

That's interesting about kidneys, one reason why our one dog (the heartthrob lol) can't take NSAIDs is his kidneys, and he had his first shot of the dog equivalent Saturday. Hmm. I was going to call the vet tomorrow to ask about Timothy ( betsygee betsygee we didn't see much in the way of change aside from amorous intentions towards our (40lb!) 15 year-old dog who would not be appreciative - it was two shots/60 days, and they say you should see full effect by then, so we didn't have him get his third shot Saturday) so I'll talk to them about that then too.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vet has now suggested Solensia. It would be $150 a month. She doesn't want us to give it at home. Says it's not something you want to accidentally prick yourself with. :dunno:
It says that for humans it could cause anaphylactic shock. So yup - not a good thing to prick into yourself :-)

She said one of her concerns was not seeing any reports/research on Solensia for Stage 3 & 4 arthritis but since Carleton is not ready to start it this is a moot point for him.

jarn jarn and F FeralHearts Best of luck with Timothy and Charlie. :crossfingers: Please keep us posted on their progress.
I wondered about that myself. Charlie's is mild and I started to see a difference in a week.

An odd and welcomed side effect is that his breathing got a little better. I don't know if that's just me or if his asthma puffer is working a bit better though. I'll see over time.

Hugs to you and Carleton!

It could be worse, I suppose, we could be renewing a mortgage.
Yes! Epps.

P.S If it's the one I'm thinking of by the airport (Southbrook) it's a nice winery.

They always brought it in prepared in the needle, so I am not sure how many vials - based on syringe size and that he only got one needle, I am guessing just one vial? Not sure. I believe it is refrigerated drug. I also would not be comfortable buying prescription drugs online unless direct from the manufacturer I suppose.
They bring it in prepared as well.

How I found out about the instability outside the vial was when we were talking about me doing it at home his lovely vet said she couldn't prepared the syringed ahead of time for me to take because it was unstable and had to be used ASAP after it's removed from the vial. The med stats mention not preservatives so this may be why.

She actually changes the needle out to a smaller one after she removes it from the vial to make it easier on Charlie.

More FDA data info (link)

The only reason I would consider doing this at home for him is that he has HCM, Asthma, food (possibly IBD) and skin allergies.So taking him in the car is a big stressor on him. Even with gabapentin in him, he goes into distressed breathing. So it's Unfortuanly something I have to seriously consider.

That's interesting about kidneys, one reason why our one dog (the heartthrob lol) can't take NSAIDs is his kidneys, and he had his first shot of the dog equivalent Saturday. Hmm. I was going to call the vet tomorrow to ask about Timothy
I'm going to make a small change to this statement... the more I read the more I see it was one study done with cats with later stage Kidney issues and it was not as conclusive as what I originally read. The actual conclusion was "potentially" with cats in later stage it could cause issues over LONG term use.

I'll keep reading the research and see what else I can find.

Last edited: