Soft, ultra fine-grain, unscented, clumping cat litter

bshcatlover

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello,

I was hoping someone could recommend a soft, ultra fine-grain, unscented, clumping cat litter for my cats.  Perhaps something more like the consistency of sand.

One of my cats is inappropriately eliminating around the house and I think it is probably my declawed cat, so I was hoping a change in litter might help with the problem.

I have 3 cats and 3 litter boxes in the house (I know that I should technically have 4, the number of cats plus 1 extra box).  I am using Arm and Hammer Ultra Last unscented in 2 of the covered litter boxes and Swheat Scoop Multicat in the third high sided litter box.  I am thinking of adding a fourth litter box and trying a new litter.

I have previously tried Yesterday's News, which I found was difficult to clean, not very good with odour control and quite expensive and World's Best Cat Litter which I didn't really like very much either.

I would really appreciate any suggestions for litter.  Thanks!

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
You could also try Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract litter, especially if you need to get kitty back to the litter box. You don't even need to fill the box with the litter (it's pretty expensive), just add a layer on top of the litter you're already using.

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can try pestel uncented cat litter its sold on petfooddirect normal price>14 dollars for 40 lbs of litter I know bought it and its a good cat litter I don't know were else its sold and the bag is mostly blue with a white cat on it :) kindof funny wen I bought I was thinking to myself I wish I had a white cat like that and 3 weeks later theres a white cat in my house I know ironic isn't it oops went of subject :p

meowmomma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have the same problem. Just switched to the Ultra Last from Tidy cat and some of my cats do not like the texture. Have just set up boxr Arm and Hammer Clump and Seal that is supposed to be softer.  Arm and Hammer Essential  from corn that is supposed to be soft (bought but not set up yet). Thinking about the gel crystals. Really liked the Tidy cat but there is so much dust but at least there was less pee surprises. 

carebearbaby1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Champion Breed (KMart brand) is great. So is Special Kitty clumping at WalMart. Both have very small pieces and both come in an unscented formula with baking soda.

Last edited:

nordicangel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Until recently (2013, 2014?), I would have highly recommeneded BETTER WAY odorless, sand like cat litter, with "sanitel" (sp?) cat attractant  (5-stars!), which I used for ovr 15 yrs.. (still same price $7.99 green/white jug at Krogers). This particular litter was EXACTLY what you described you were needing at the time of your initial post (07/2011) - Ultra fine (very soft), Odorless,"Sandlike, Clumping litter..  with added cat attractant "sanitel" (sp?)...the perfect litter for your situation. 

UNFORTUNATELY, the manufacturer made the awful mistake recently (not sure exactly when) of completely changing the type of litter, even though the litter currently is still marketed as being the same product, but now a new/improved texture + added "scent". . Sadly, the actual litter itself is NOT even close to being the same. The litter granules are radically different in texture, feel, color & smell.. Granules are quite large, rough like - not even close to resembling "soft ultra fine sand" or even outside dirt. Scent is very strong. The "sanitel" cat attractant, the packaging, label and the Krogers price, are the only features of the product that remain the same.

My cat, (almost 18), also noticed the difference!  He is a low maintenance / easy going type (very tolerant to change).  For the first time in 17 yrs, he refuses to use the "newer version" of this supposedly "same" litter. Even though the litter boxes are thoroughly cleaned, he now protests by prefering to "hold it" until someone lets him outside to do his business (fenced in backyard) - similar to a dog.  If he is desperate, he will reluctantly use this litter to "pee" in only. All defecation is outdoors in his mind. So I too am in search for the same litter you describe.  So far, he has never been the type to poop-pee outside the litter box - "knock on wood" :)  but with pets, anything is possible even at his age.   So I too am in search for a decent litter to make his last years/months comfortable. He has been a wonderful kitty and only deserves the best.

ultrapet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In response to Nordic Angel....

Hello, I am a representative from Ultra Pet. .  You are correct we did change the formula because the original supplier filed for bankruptcy leaving us scrambling to find product or discontinue the line.  We found someone to produce for us but when it was time to go into production, the product they had did not match the sample they sent.  We made a decision to proceed because it did clump.  Well the Cat Nation banded against us and said “NO WAY”.  We continued our search and found a similar product.  We have sent samples out to our loyal customers and the reviews have be GREAT!  

Kroger has decided to continue with the product line. We switched from jugs to bags and as of today they have not ordered the new product in bags.

If you need further information, please contact us at [email protected]

nordicangel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
UPDATE: UltraPet's new improved flushable litter is outstanding! I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a find grain, dust-free litter, that is flushable. 

gmm80

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I really like Arm and Hammer Clump and Seal. It's much finer textured than their regular cat litter. I don't know if it comes in an unscented version, but I find it's not very strongly scented.