Soft Stool Likely From Food. Suggestions?

laughingduck

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am fostering a Momma Cat and her kittens. Since I’ve had Momma she has had soft stools. We had her parasite tested and it was negative. We put her on probiotics which helped a bit but she still isn’t 100%. She is currently eating Royal Canin Kitten food (dry and canned). This is what the shelter gave me to give them (along with whiskas for Mom which I haven’t been giving her). I am keeping Momma and two kittens (the rest of the kittens go back this Friday) so I want to start thinking about what food to switch her to. Does anyone have a recommendation on a good cat and kitten food that is easy on the stomach? My dog is on grain-free Wellness and I’d like a good quality food for the cats too. Thanks ahead of time for any suggestions!

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wellness makes cat food as well. My boys used to be on that and they did well poop-wise. My one cat had really soft stools for years before we finally got him sorted out. One of the brands we used to use a lot in their rotation was Wellness, particularly the turkey. But then they started turning their noses up at it and I believe they changed the formula.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I understand shy she is on kitten food right now, since she is nursing, but it could be that it's a little too rich for her and that could be causing the issue if she has a sensitive tummy. With some cats and food issues, it's really trial and error. You just have to keep trying until you figure out what it is that is causing the issue once you rule out parasites, which you have done. The Royal Canin Kitten does have wheat gluten and corn gluten, both of which can cause issues, so moving to a lower carb food might be just the ticket.

Here's an article about things to look for when searching out canned cat food: What Makes The Best Canned Cat Food?

But remember, the best food is the one your cat will eat :wink: (without loose stool, that is)

Here is a thread I just read that lists the carbs in Merrick canned food. These are all very good (less than 10%, which is what I always look for, personally): Merrick Purrrfect Bistro Pate Carbohydrate Values

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
:yeah: My kittens and now young cats have done great on Merrick. Perfect poops lol great weight and they love love love merrick. It's my go to for sure. They always clean their plates. Worth a try.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

laughingduck

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you!! I will try Merrick food next!