Soft stool issues

Jim1954

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I purchased a Highlander lynx approximately one year ago. She has a problem with soft stools sticking to the fur on her backside. Then rubbing her butt against the carpet to remove the soft stool. I feed her blue buffalo cat food and approximately two months ago I was told to use Forti Flora. When I use this powder in her food on a daily basis, the soft stools are close to being under control, but I don’t want to continue feeding her this powder for the rest of her life. Any recommendations would be helpful.
I would consider changing cat foods if I knew of a better cat food than blue buffalo I don’t know if this is soffit, but it would be a consideration

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
As Furballsmom Furballsmom says, FortiFlora is a probiotic although not a strong one. Many of us use it as a topper instead of a probiotic. It can help to entice cats to eat when they’re reluctant because its smell and taste are very appealing to them

A better probiotic to use for diarrhea or soft stool is S. boulardii. You should be able to find it in the health supplements section of the grocery store or a health food store…or you can buy it online. One of the most popular brands is Jarrow Saccharomyces Boulardii + MOS. Another good brand is NOW. Make sure whatever you buy doesn’t have lactose in it which can actually cause diarrhea in some cats.

Maintenance level is anywhere from 500 million CFU to 2.5 billion CFU daily. I’d start on the low end and divide it between at least two meals a day.

Good luck and keep as posted! (And welcome to TCS! :) )

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with Tobermory Tobermory about using s boulardii for soft stools or diarrhoea. Mix half a capsule in the food twice a day (1 capsule per day) and you should see a difference in a few days. Once the stools are normal stop giving it.

tyleete

Queen of the Crazy
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I used pure S. Boulardi to no avail. I've tried many things to no avail. I have a Maine Coon mix and hated the mess she'd make too with ask that long fur.
We took her in about 8yrs ago and fighting puddle poop the whole time.
Finally found out it's food allergies.
She's now on Instinct Limited ingredient rabbit. It's made a world of difference to my baby. And it was literally overnight, the difference.
Turns out she can't eat the wet version though. Must be one of the gums they put in it. So I just drop a few pieces in her water for a little then take then out and she loves the water that way.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Maybe your cat has a food sensitivity? Whenever I give Delilah anything with fish, even fish oil, her stools get very soft and stinky. I can't give her Blue Buffalo. Check with your vet. For my other cat Fancy, her stools were super soft and smelled up the apartment so bad you could die. The vet recommended a limited ingredient diet on rabbit. It took about 3 months but the soft stools and smell stopped. Right now she's still on rabbit only.

tyleete

Queen of the Crazy
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's what my cat's on. Instinct limited ingredient rabbit. Her turn around was immediate though. I'm so happy she can have regular stool at long last. Feel for the fuzzy bunnies. But my cat's feeling better

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
In the meantime you can also shave the part of her bottom end that sits on the ground. The shorter hair will stop things from sticking as bad and make it easier to clean.

Many good suggestions above.

LeiLatte

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have used Fortiflora plus some plain puree canned pumpkin added to wet food. We had a case of pumpkin cans which were a dog food brand (can’t remember name off the top of my head), but it worked also for kitties. Just a small amount like 1tbsp which is probably too much actually, but it works. If you can find something similar in a grocery store with no other added ingredients that is okay too.