Soft poop, dirty backside! and won't eat dry food!

supergirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Hello everyone, 

I have an 8-month-old mixed Persian kitten, I got her when she was 2 months old. At that time she didnt always clean her backside well, and I used to clean it up with wipes. Then I think she "matured" and cleaned herself well.

Now she's almost 8 months, got spayed about 3 weeks ago, her vet did an x-ray and a check up 10 days after the surgery and she was fine. 

About a week now I have noticed that her backside gets really dirty, around her anus and the back of her thighs (I think what they call pants), and I end up washing it and the hassle of drying it up, it happens especially in early morning, around dawn. Is it possible that her tummy's getting cold? (especially that it's shaved for the operation)?

Could it be stress? I went back to work a week after her operation and I have been on vacation for almost a month, so basically spending much more time with her!

I live in a studio and imagine waking up to a smelly bottom stuck in your face seriously not an enjoyable way to start your day! Today, after the wash and getting my hand scratched for daring to wash her and dry her with my hair dryer, I stepped on a piece of poop near her food plate!!

Now as I am typing, she did a formed poop! I can't usually tell since the litter clumps but when I have the chance to see her poop, I saw her once it was light brown, and though generally formed there was some amount that was watery. 

She eats Fancy Feast canned food, both the ones for adult cats and the ones for kittens, for snacks I give her a range between Party Mix, GimCat Vitamins and just this week started giving her GimCat Meaty Snacks. 

Which brings me to another topic, when I first got her she was eating Nutram dry food for kittens, and I kept on feeding it to her for a while until two months ago several people suggested I introduce wet food to her diet and since then she wouldn't taste the dry food anymore, at first the vet said maybe because she's teething. But now she's 8 months old and should have gotten her big girl teeth but she still meows at me till I give her wet food or she won't eat the dry, and 3 meals of wet food a day plus snacks is much more expensive than a bag of dry food. 

one more thing, she's an indoor cat but I take her out sometimes in my parent's house's garden and yard. 

So basically, my questions are:

1) shall I worry about the soft stool she's having?

2) should I warm her tummy somehow? If yes, how? (the one time I got her to wear a shirt she kept on fighting with it till she took it off)

3) how do I get her to clean her bottom and should I worry about the piece of poop that was out of the box this morning?

4) how do I get her to eat dry food again ( I tried changing to Whiskas, but she wouldn't eat it either)

Thank you!

Last edited:

chloe92us

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The runny poop could be from so many things, but my guess would be either stress from the surgery or those new cat treats. I would give it a few more days and see if they firm up.

I wouldn't be worried about the little dinkleberry outside the litter box unless she starts pooping outside the box every time.

I use baby wipes on our long haired cat for butt cleanup and they work pretty well. I buy the Unscented ones.

To try to introduce hard food again, just leave a bowl of hard food down all the time with a couple treats "hidden" in the bowl to see if she nibbles. But I think a 8 mo kitten still needs quite a bit of food per day? Someone else will know more about that. In general, canned is much better but I get dry is cheaper and more convenient if you go away. Otherwise you need a full time pet sitter.

Good luck!

xlpooper

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Vet that only treats cats, no dogs or other animals has told me cats should be on a wet food diet and I've read that all over the internet also.  My Vet said it's because they don't drink enough water.  

It seems females get kidney disease and males get crystals.  I have a male cat Brucie, he's on wet food only.