Soft food?

tigganat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can Soft food cause cats to get Constipation/Diaria?
My mom thinks it's my cats problem because he's been pooping small bits on the ground Is it food? or is it natural?

He's a Tabby- He eats Turkey cheese and Gravy dinner for food
[ he gets one scoop of soft food a day, three snoops of hard food]
Or is this a normal balanced Diet? He doesn't like fish though.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
what brands of food?

How old is he?

Best suggestion go talk with the vet , often constipation is a symptom not the problem

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tigganat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

what brands of food?

How old is he?

Best suggestion go talk with the vet , often constipation is a symptom not the problem
Brand:Friskies

2007-april. So he is 3 years old.

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are switching over from all dry diet, then yes wet food can soften stool a bit. Any change in feeding can affect stool. However, from you other post it sounds like your cat has worms or needs his anal glands expressed, so ask about the stool when youre at the vet for the butt scooting issue.

tigganat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My mom said he should go to the vet.
She's going to set a appointment for tomorrow.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Friskies has a lot of artificial additives (flip it over and read the can yourself). Some cats can't handle that. It may not be the real issue here, but it may also not be helping matters.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good to hear about the vet...

Friskies wet food has lots of things that kitties can be sensitive to ... read labels and try something without artificial colors , flavors and soy

tigganat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Friskies has to many Preservatives, And my sister is friends with this girl who's mom is a cat breeder/vet. She doesn't feed them friskies she says it's to much for them. So I think she would feed him less soft food and maybe change the brand.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the Friskies is the problem, less wet food won't fix the problem. Less friskies will.

Lots of us feed our cats 50% or more of their diet as wet food without it causing diarrhea. What you choose to use and what a particular cat can actually handle matters. Some dry foods give cats terrible diarrhea - I have one that can't have dry or wet with any chicken in it.

tigganat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat is Tabby, My said she's going to change that food brand he eats, but which one? Or should we just go to the store and look at the labels?

What time should he be fed, 3 times a day? Because my mom thinks she's feeding him to much, and when he put some, he eats it all, so if we put little, and made it a daily routine for him. He'll get used too it right?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Read labels... You will get LOTS of opinions on what is okay and what is not... With canned food I just look for low to no grain, no artificial anything , no or very little carmel coloring( can contain wheat and corn)

Dry food you switch over 7-14 days... say he eat s one cup... 1/8 cup new food to 7/8 cup old food for a couple day s, then 1/4 and 3/4 then half and half the reverse of the first days ..

I feed wet once a day but dry is avail all day... this is what my cats prefer and thus they waste less food... 2 times for wet with a measured amount of dry avail all the time seems to work for most

Where can you shop?

tigganat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Pet Smart
Pet Value
Zherse

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Look at Nutro, Natural balance( Pet value may carry) , Blue ,by nature .. check for sales you can often get these at or close to friskies prices ...at pet stores

Brandon farms, Western family , Pets pride are good wets avail in some super markets

tigganat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Look at Nutro, Natural balance( Pet value may carry) , Blue ,by nature .. check for sales you can often get these at or close to friskies prices ...at pet stores

Brandon farms, Western family , Pets pride are good wets avail in some super markets
We'll go by the stores on our way back from the vet if we have time.