Soft carrier recommendations

ColoradoCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, everyone. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for the best soft carriers. My little girl doesn't seem too fond of the hard one I have for her (AND she's figured out how to get out of it!).

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
If you’re not on a tight budget, sleepypods are great. A lot of cats love them and use them as beds at home.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Krista loved this carrier as much as a cat is going to love any carrier. I frequently left it expanded and unzipped for her as another part of her environment. I often seeded it with treats (fish flakes) so that she would enter it repeatedly and voluntarily during times between vet visits. Because she was familiar with the carrier and had positive experiences with it, the carrier itself wasn't stressing her out. I would also slip her fish flakes on the drive over, in the waiting room, and in the dr. office. At least for awhile, she was a good patient.
ELITEFIELD Expandable Soft Airline-Approved Dog & Cat Carrier Bag, Black, 20-in - Chewy.com

IMG_1295.JPG
IMG_1347.JPG
I like that it has both a top entry and expandable sides. I would always drop down a side for her whenever we got to the vet office so she could turn around a little if she wanted to.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Krista loved this carrier as much as a cat is going to love any carrier. I frequently left it expanded and unzipped for her as another part of her environment. I often seeded it with treats (fish flakes) so that she would enter it repeatedly and voluntarily during times between vet visits. Because she was familiar with the carrier and had positive experiences with it, the carrier itself wasn't stressing her out. I would also slip her fish flakes on the drive over, in the waiting room, and in the dr. office. At least for awhile, she was a good patient.
ELITEFIELD Expandable Soft Airline-Approved Dog & Cat Carrier Bag, Black, 20-in - Chewy.com

View attachment 397491
View attachment 397492
I like that it has both a top entry and expandable sides. I would always drop down a side for her whenever we got to the vet office so she could turn around a little if she wanted to.
I’ve been looking at this carrier over on AliExpress (or at least one that’s near identical) as a backup and for longer taxi trips. Would you say it feels stable when unzipped at the sides, or do you have to carry it around in it’s closed state? Would be a very tight fit for my 9kg boy when fully zipped up, so wanted to know before making the order.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Carry it only when the sides are closed. It's not going to be stable enough to have a cat in one of the expanded sides without a solid surface beneath it. A cozy (but not too snug) fit is not the worst thing. We're talking about box-loving, tight space experts here. Your boy will feel more secure if he's not slip sliding around the carrier because he has too much space. There is a larger 20" model. I don't know how a 9kg cat will fit in either model. That's more than twice the size of Krista. You might want to check the return policy before you place the order.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have an older version of this: Product Detail

Some cats can claw their way out of a soft sided carrier by constantly scratching at the mesh or seams.

Hi, everyone. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for the best soft carriers. My little girl doesn't seem too fond of the hard one I have for her (AND she's figured out how to get out of it!).

How did she get out? Was the carrier not put together correctly or had an unsecured door?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ColoradoCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm not entirely sure how she got out. The carrier's pretty sturdy, so I must've not quite secured the door correctly (thankfully, we were in the house when this happened). We've been joking that she's a little Houdini.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ColoradoCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions. I really like the idea of an expandable carrier like the one daftcat75 mentioned. It's a little bit pricey, but I think I can make it work.