Sodium Content...aaaargh!

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I’ve been buying boneless chicken thighs at a local specialty meat store for use in Dr. Pierson’s recipe from catinfo.org. I questioned them closely about any additives, including sodium, before I bought the first time. They assured me that nothing was added, so I’ve been buying them at the counter.

I went in today to stock up because the thighs were on sale for $1.88 per pound if you bought a 10-pound minimum in pre-packaged bags. Because they were packaged I looked out of curiosity and saw that they had 120 mg. of sodium per serving. What??? I’ve been using these for months to make the cats’ food, and adding sodium per the recipe. Let’s just say that the manager knows I’m not happy.

I just read on the Food Fur Life website that you shouldn’t buy anything that’s more than 100 mg. per serving. Have I damaged my cats? Is there anything I need to do other than not buy the boneless thighs again?

The bone-in thighs are 80 mg. I guess I’m going to have to get those and then cut out the bone when I’m doing a boneless batch (with calcium supplement added, of course). I do alternate with bone-in rabbit and turkey from Hare Today, but one of my three doesn’t like anything but what I make from the thighs.

abby2932

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't have an answer for you but I understand your frustration!

The "saline solution" or sodium content is kind of hidden on the package. That's why I resolved to buy all my meat online from Hare Today, Raw Feeding Miami & My Pet Carnivore since their products are for pets. I just dont trust the grocery store meats/organs.

My unprofessional guess would be to say your certainly didn't cause your cats harm. 120mg is pretty close to the 100mg limit. I probably wouldn't keep buying that one though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
I don't have an answer for you but I understand your frustration!

The "saline solution" or sodium content is kind of hidden on the package. That's why I resolved to buy all my meat online from Hare Today, Raw Feeding Miami & My Pet Carnivore since their products are for pets. I just dont trust the grocery store meats/organs.

My unprofessional guess would be to say your certainly didn't cause your cats harm. 120mg is pretty close to the 100mg limit. I probably wouldn't keep buying that one though.
I hope they’re okay. But you’re right; it’s very frustrating. Iris loves her homemade chicken. And I’d buy everything from HT, but Iris won’t eat any of it without toppers. Even then I have to add more once she gets about halfway through...and follow her around continuing to put her bowl in front of her. She really doesn’t like it. She also won’t eat any commercial raw.

It’s back to the search for “good” chicken thighs, although I thought I’d already looked in every store in town.
:gaah:

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's definitely worth comparing brands and stores: our grocery store's chicken thighs are over the 100 mg. of sodium that EZ Complete recommends but Trader Joe's (natural) are only 95 g. None of that chicken has salt added, it's just what's naturally in the meat. Our cats don't like chicken thighs much but I have sometimes used the grocery store thighs along with pork, which is much lower in sodium, to make chicken-pork food.

Good luck with your search!

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
Hmm, this claims that "enhanced" chicken can have over 400mg of sodium per serving!
What are they pumping into your chicken? | Consumers Union

So I wonder if the 120mg is the natural sodium content. What size serving does it list on the package?
Great question! Unfortunately, I didn’t look to see what the serving size was. The Food Fur Life (EZ Complete) website said 100 mg. or less per a standard U.S. serving size of four ounces. If the thighs I’ve been buying show 120 mg. for a larger serving size, say six ounce—although that’s probably wishful thinking if there’s a standard—that would actually be okay. I’ll have to go back to the store tomorrow and check.

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
It's definitely worth comparing brands and stores: our grocery store's chicken thighs are over the 100 mg. of sodium that EZ Complete recommends but Trader Joe's (natural) are only 95 g. None of that chicken has salt added, it's just what's naturally in the meat. Our cats don't like chicken thighs much but I have sometimes used the grocery store thighs along with pork, which is much lower in sodium, to make chicken-pork food.

Good luck with your search!
Thanks, lisahe lisahe . I haven’t bought the chicken at TJ’s because of the price, but that may have to change. Sigh.

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
Hmm, this claims that "enhanced" chicken can have over 400mg of sodium per serving!
What are they pumping into your chicken? | Consumers Union

So I wonder if the 120mg is the natural sodium content. What size serving does it list on the package?
I just read the article. Good grief! At least the chicken I've been buying is regionally sourced and not from one of the mega companies. And after reading the article, I don’t feel bad about 120 mg. as long as I’m eating it myself and not feeding it to the kitties!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have the same issue. The place where I was buying my chicken thighs recently changed their source and now the thighs have over the 100 mg limit. I was disappointed. Yet, the next time I went in, the source had changed again and they were back down to 95. I just make sure to check every single time. I hate that they inject meat with sodium solution. I can't stand the taste of it myself. I find it gives the chicken an odd consistency.

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
I have the same issue. The place where I was buying my chicken thighs recently changed their source and now the thighs have over the 100 mg limit. I was disappointed. Yet, the next time I went in, the source had changed again and they were back down to 95. I just make sure to check every single time. I hate that they inject meat with sodium solution. I can't stand the taste of it myself. I find it gives the chicken an odd consistency.
Great idea to go back and check periodically because I really do like buying both human and feline meat there. It's all extremely fresh and from our area--or at least the region. I'll have to look at the bulk packaged ones since that's where I first discovered the sodium content. The meat guys at the counter didn't know!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of the stores I used to by at repackaged all of their meat and there wasn't a sticker on it to show nutritional info. I had to ask at the meat counter. They were clueless and it took quite awhile for them to get me the information. They thought I was crazy that I was buying the meat for my cats. I am glad I asked, as the sodium content is below 100mg and gives me another option when it is on sale. None of my local grocery stores carry anything reasonable priced that is not injected and below 100mg. They do sell organic, but it is close to $8 per pound. I have found it on clearance once or twice.

I just recently moved and now have space for a stand alone freezer. I use it only for storing cat meat and cat food. I have 6 cats so it's important I find the best deals. The freezer is such a joy!

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
One of the stores I used to by at repackaged all of their meat and there wasn't a sticker on it to show nutritional info. I had to ask at the meat counter. They were clueless and it took quite awhile for them to get me the information. They thought I was crazy that I was buying the meat for my cats. I am glad I asked, as the sodium content is below 100mg and gives me another option when it is on sale. None of my local grocery stores carry anything reasonable priced that is not injected and below 100mg. They do sell organic, but it is close to $8 per pound. I have found it on clearance once or twice.

I just recently moved and now have space for a stand alone freezer. I use it only for storing cat meat and cat food. I have 6 cats so it's important I find the best deals. The freezer is such a joy!
$8 pound? For chicken? Good grief. I’ll pay that or more for rabbit but not for chicken. The manager at the specialty meat store where I’ve been buying the 120 mg. thighs is actually a good guy and wants to be helpful. He says his wife had several cats and feeds a bunch of ferals. He asked for the recipe I use so he could give it to her. :)

Yeah, when I started making the cats’ food, I bought a small chest freezer. I couldn’t manage it without it. I make the equivalent of about 40 cans of food each time, which lasts about three weeks for my three. So obviously you’re making double that for six!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've gotten some funny looks in the meat department, too: at the regular grocery store, they clearly think I'm crazy for buying human-grade meat for cat food. When I used to shop at Whole Foods, though, the meat counter people thought it was great that I was buying meat for cat food.

prairiepanda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is it legal in the US for meats to not be labelled?? Here in Canada, any kind of additive needs to be listed on the label, even if it's just added water. So most producers don't try to enhance their meats because it makes the label less appealing to consumers. The kosher ones have no choice, though; they always need to add salt as part of the kosher process. I've also noticed that pre-cooked chicken is usually enhanced with saline, presumably to prevent it from drying out while cooking.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it legal in the US for meats to not be labelled?? Here in Canada, any kind of additive needs to be listed on the label, even if it's just added water. So most producers don't try to enhance their meats because it makes the label less appealing to consumers. The kosher ones have no choice, though; they always need to add salt as part of the kosher process. I've also noticed that pre-cooked chicken is usually enhanced with saline, presumably to prevent it from drying out while cooking.
Additives including salt should be listed in the U.S., too. Beyond the fact that it's not always easy to find that information on the label, I think it's easy to forget that sodium occurs naturally in lots of foods, including chicken, particularly the thighs.

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
And my guess is that the 120 mg. I saw on the packaged thighs was naturally occurring having read everyone’s posts here. The manager says they don't sell injected meat and I do believe him.