Sock Collector?

corvidae

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all! My cat, Jem, will be six this summer and has been with me for a year and a half. Over the course of the past two weeks, Jem has gotten really into stealing socks (no other clothing, just socks) from my roommate's and my laundry baskets. He even figured out how to open my roommate's drawer and took clean, folded socks from there too!
As much as I am a worrier when it comes to the wellbeing of my pets, I doubt this is anything sinister. But I am curious - does anyone have any ideas as to what may have caused his sudden interest in distributing socks throughout our apartment?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Hard to tell. He may like their smell, or their fuzziness or they may be fun to play with. Sometimes cats just get fixated on an item and I also think some have a strong hunting instinct that manifests in hunting and capturing things like socks. I have had a cat that like to drag around my bras, one who stole earrings and one loved to play with potatoes. The are wonderful characters sometimes.

Last edited:

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
Just imagining the marriage breakups that may have occurred when hubby’s underwear just keeps disappearing.
Sad to contemplate!

Boris Diamond Boris Diamond - That's hilarious! :flail:
And that kitty looks proud of his larceny!

I've never had my cats do anything like this, but I know those whose cats have done similar things. No one ever figured out why. Hopefully Jem will get over this phase soon. :yess:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t think I would worry about kitty. It’s probably just a new idea for play. That’s a very smart kitty! Opening drawers? :lol:

Boris Diamond Boris Diamond Hilarious!!:flail:As a kid we had a Siamese who was a cat burglar. He snitched toys out of neighboring yards as well as my dolls. I watched as he dragged my Barbie away by her ponytail. I was able to rescue Barbie a few days later when I found her stashed among a pile of toys under our house.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

corvidae

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all your hilarious and creative responses! I’m glad Jem hasn’t gotten into the neighbours laundry, at the very least. Here’s a picture I just took of the culprit himself and one of his finds.
71A855DA-7E81-4266-967D-D4005CB4862C.jpeg

(also pictured is one of the dozens of non-sock toys he could be playing with instead... cats, eh?)

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all your hilarious and creative responses! I’m glad Jem hasn’t gotten into the neighbours laundry, at the very least. Here’s a picture I just took of the culprit himself and one of his finds.
View attachment 323011
(also pictured is one of the dozens of non-sock toys he could be playing with instead... cats, eh?)
I wonder if you put some of the toys in with the socks if it might make Jem notice the toys more?