socializing my feral and my home cats.

buffy2011

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a feral which is coming around now, she will let me touch her. She has been staying in my bathroom. I have two inside cats. One of them has already made friends with the feral, and I don't see any problems there. But I have another one which I'm not sure how this is going to go. They know of each other. Because she comes into the bathroom to drink the ferals water if the door is open. She has chased her in the bathroom. Now I am trying to the feral have some roam of the house. She is kinda scared to leave the bathroom because that is her safe haven. But I have been leaving the door open at night and she sneaks in and out, while the other cats sleep. I have caught her when I went to use the bathroom in the middle of the night and she has been gone and came flying back in. But my biggest problem is, the feral has claws. I don't mind the fact that they might hiss or growl at each other, but will that feral use her claws and tear my other cat up? I'm worried about that because I don't want to be taking my cat to the vets because of some damage to her face. Need some advice. I never had to deal with anything like this and I am actually afraid of this feral because of the claws. They are very sharp.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hio @buffy2011

Cats rarely hurt each other, but if possible I would trim the new cat's claws.  She isn't actually feral in the true sense or you wouldn't be able to interact with her.  Are you able to touch the new cat?

Before you continue with the introduction, I would immediately have the new cat tested for FIV and FeLV, both contagious illnesses (cat to cat).  FeLV is more serious and more contagious.  Once you know the new cat is negative, here is more introduction info, although it sounds like you are well on your way.

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/introducing-cats-to-cats

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtual-pet-behaviorist/cat-behavior/introducing-your-cat-new-cat

http://www.catbehaviorassociates.com/a-simple-little-trick-to-use-during-new-cat-introductions/

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If the feral is going to remain in the house, you should clip her nails or have the vet do it for you.  Also do make sure you have had her tested and vaccinated before contact with your resident kitties.  The links provided above are fabulous!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

buffy2011

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Hio @buffy2011

Cats rarely hurt each other, but if possible I would trim the new cat's claws.  She isn't actually feral in the true sense or you wouldn't be able to interact with her.  Are you able to touch the new cat?

Before you continue with the introduction, I would immediately have the new cat tested for FIV and FeLV, both contagious illnesses (cat to cat).  FeLV is more serious and more contagious.  Once you know the new cat is negative, here is more introduction info, although it sounds like you are well on your way.

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/introducing-cats-to-cats

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtual-pet-behaviorist/cat-behavior/introducing-your-cat-new-cat

http://www.catbehaviorassociates.com/a-simple-little-trick-to-use-during-new-cat-introductions/
This cat was a 7 month old feral that I had spayed. I ended up keeping her in the house because this winter was terrible and then I decided to keep her. She had all the shots they give when spaying. I can pet her but don't want to pick her up, so can't get her to the vets yet to get the claws trimmed. I've had my cats fight but may cats don't have claws, so thats why I was afraid  to let her  mix with them. But I do think she is the youngest in the household so the other cats kind of let her know who is boss. But I still don't want no claw fights. I will check out the sight that you mentioned. Thank you

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ok if you can pet her then she isn't feral, just an outside cat but she's been in a home before if you can touch her. Again cats rarely hurt each other in these situations, they tend to get very noisy :)

Do a slow and careful introduction.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We had declawed cats when we rescued our youngest cats.  I was a little afraid at first, too, but like StephenQ says, they didn't hurt one another.  They fussed a bit when we did the slow intros, but Josie, the one with claws, held her own.  Even our big bully, Halsey, usually doesn't bother with her.  When he does, she only has to give him a look and he backs off.

If you introduce them slowly, there shouldn't be any problems.

buffy2011

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok if you can pet her then she isn't feral, just an outside cat but she's been in a home before if you can touch her. Again cats rarely hurt each other in these situations, they tend to get very noisy

Do a slow and careful introduction.
She was feral at 7 months. She has been in my bathroom since November 2013, and finally now we can pet her. So she is a little over a year old now. I can only pet her if I am sitting on the floor and I put my hand out. She still is afraid of me standing up. But I have been leaving the bathroom door open at night and she is exploring at night but I haven't heard any fights yet. The other two cats are sleeping and haven't heard her I guess. My two older cats don't have claws but this is there house and they are going to let her know, thats why I was worried that the claws may come out then. Like I said my one cat goes around her with no problem, they get along ok, but my other one I think there is going to be problems. So far she has chased her back into the bathroom and stared her down, but no real fighting yet.

buffy2011

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes this has been a long process and still  not there. I had no idea how long it was going to take so I just took it day by day.  We have to start using this bathroom again, so I figured I would just leave her in there and just tell people to ignore her and not to touch her, and excuse the mess because the bathroom had to be cleaned out completely so the kitten didn't break anything. Then this also  lets the kitten know other faces too. But she has a routine now and she does come out during the night. Both my cats go in there and eat and drink her stuff, like they don't have any of there own. So they do know here smell. I think I had less of a transition with my two bigger cats then I did with this kitten. She is still like a scared rabbit. I need to get her to the vets again, but don't want to pick her up yet and make her scared. I'm not sure how she is going to react. So we have some time. She definitely needs these claws clipped. And also she is doing something I've seen my cats do but not as a constant thing. She is picking her tail up like she is leaving a scent. But she does it alot when I pet her. So I wanted to get that checked out. Maybe its nothing, not sure.