Socializing Ferals

WaltS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have been able to socialize, and for the most part, domesticate most of our feral cats after they have been spayed/neutered. Some take longer than others. My wife has recently been working on a female we had spayed last summer. We rescued her last 3 kittens who now live in the garage. She is now coming up for petting without us enticing her with food or treats and she is sleeping in the totes we put around the house. She still disappears in the woods for the better part of the day but so do our non feral rescues. She was our last female we needed to trap.

All it takes is a little time and patience.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for all of your hard work in caring for these sweet feral cats. It does take lots of time, patience and love. You and your wife are caring special people for all of the work you do.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
after you get your feral cat pettable and want to take the next step and put them on your lap, how do you teach them to use soft paws and not claw into your leg? Also when one of my guys wants to be petted more he swats at me, I saw ouch! and walk away. Is there any other techniques to get them not to swat?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

WaltS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They will swat when unsure and not trusting of you. I'll try to shoot some video of the one my wife is working on now. She has come even further alone since last week and will now lay down on her side purring and waiting for petting. She will take that for several minutes before getting spooked and jump up but she does not go far. She now hangs out on the the back patio all day and sleeps in a tote we put out for the ferals. It's definitely easier during feeding because it occupies their mind while you sneak in and get some touches. Once they become accustomed to the touch and realize you're not going to hurt them it does not take long. It will take longer to get them in your lap though. I worked on a female we had spayed several years ago. It took 6 months before we started seeing her on a regular basis at feeding times. She would then start to walk in front of us getting closer and closer. One day I bent down and scratched above her tail. She stopped dead in her tracks, raised her butt, and started purring. Within a week I was able to pick her up and move her. Within the month she was a lap kitty. She can still get a wild streak in her but every time I sit in a chair outside she jumps in my lap and wants petted. She's friendly enough to let me brush knots out of her long fur and pick ticks from her eyes. She lives in our detached garage at night and is litter box trained.

I can't stress enough though they are wild animals and should be treated as such. Be very careful. Their scratches can infect and make you very sick. I friend of mine got cat scratch fever from his indoor cat. Required a 3 day stay in the hospital with IV antibiotics. Remember anything they have on their nails gets into your scratch if they scratch you. Always keep a bottle of alcohol handy.

Good luck!

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some of them follow me around and weave back in forth in front of me. I hate it when I accidently step on their little feet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

WaltS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Some of them follow me around and weave back in forth in front of me. I hate it when I accidently step on their little feet.
They're starting to trust you when they get close like that.