Socializing an Adult Cat

MewieCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I got a beautiful cat 1.5-2 years old six months ago and have tried reading to her and visiting her while respecting boundaries but still can’t get closer than 2 feet. She was a rescue cat described as “shy” but this seems excessive. She hides all day and night and has her own room with an open door. She eats only at night when we’re asleep and uses the litter box. Any ideas for drawing her out and getting her more comfortable with interacting? We’ve tried toys and sprays etc and nothing. She is spayed and came with shots etc.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. That is a long time, but then you don't really know what her background is, do you? Any other cats/ dogs in the home? I would continue what you are doing and just give her more time and her space. See if there are any tips in these articles that you haven't already tried.
10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat – TheCatSite Articles
How To Get A Cat To Come Out Of Hiding? – TheCatSite Articles
14 Cat Experts Reveal: How To Get A Cat To Like Me – TheCatSite Articles

I realize it is probably not feasible now, but when you do get a chance you can share pics of her! In the meantime, we can still know her name!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MewieCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. That is a long time, but then you don't really know what her background is, do you? Any other cats/ dogs in the home? I would continue what you are doing and just give her more time and her space. See if there are any tips in these articles that you haven't already tried.
10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat – TheCatSite Articles
How To Get A Cat To Come Out Of Hiding? – TheCatSite Articles
14 Cat Experts Reveal: How To Get A Cat To Like Me – TheCatSite Articles

I realize it is probably not feasible now, but when you do get a chance you can share pics of her! In the meantime, we can still know her name!
Thanks for responding and I will definitely check out the articles! There are no other pets in the home so hopefully that makes it easier but I was also thinking getting another cat might help her learn to be social. Pic attached ♥

Attachments

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Your girl may not have had any human socialization prior to adoption, or she could have had a terrible experience with humans or she just may be a cat that takes a very long time to feel safe in a new place and with new humans. While some cats adjust in a matter of weeks, for others, like mine, it can take months or years. In any case, you are doing the right thing, letting her work it out at her own pace.

I would make sure she has an abundance of toys, a few in her space and the rest scattered throughout your home. I would also set out treats like temptations with a few in every room She may be out exploring the whole house while you are sleeping and you want her to see that good things come from being brave enough to wander. That also lets you know if she is indeed checking your house out at night. Leaving a curtain or blind open so she can look outdoors may also help her get comfortable out of her room.

Then you wait. A young and healthy cat will eventually get bored with hiding and will move their hiding spot closer to where the interesting but scary humans hang out. If she starts coming out, don’t look at her directly, or make any sudden movements. You can sit quietly, on the floor is best because it is closer to her level, and talk to her but never approach her. You always want her to make the first move.

I know from experience living with a cat you never see can be frustrating but when they start to come around it can be very rewarding as well.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There are no other pets in the home so hopefully that makes it easier but I was also thinking getting another cat might help her learn to be social.
Ultimately, that might plausible. But, she first needs to come out her shell and be comfortable with her new home, her surroundings, and her care takers. She has enough to deal with it as it is for now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MewieCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
♥ Thank you for these great ideas! I have noticed her hiding spots are changing from time to time and sometimes she hides under the couch near us instead of behind the shelves in her room. We make sure to have window shelves available with shades raised for her and she definitely hangs out on them at night. I have left treats around for her but she’s rarely eaten them. Still, I think I’ll try again with that!