Socializing a senior (10-plus year old) feral kitty

Clocat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,
I've posted about "HLA" a couple of times here (most recent thread: Sad feral kitty update) I'm starting a new thread as I'm hoping that the outcome of all this will no longer be "sad."

The current situation is that HLA is a 10-plus year old feral that we've been feeding for that whole time, but she's never taken shelter on our property, nor has she shown interest in being petted. She meowed at me once, years ago, when I got home in the middle of a blizzard and she was waiting in our driveway to be fed. But otherwise she's behaved as your typical wary feral. You can get within about a foot of her to feed her.

She had an ear infection in early November, for which we caught, treated and released her when she lost interest in eating after a week. The ear infection came back, and we caught her again Weds. night of last week, in advance of a big winter storm with Arctic temps. She's been in our spare bedroom ever since, mostly sleeping in her cat carrier outfitted with blankets. She is still eating, as of today, knock on wood.

My questions are:

I read a lot about ferals that shut down and get depressed in captivity. At what point does one consider a cat to be too depressed or shut down to continue keeping inside? As long as she's still eating, should we continue on with this? As I said, she is sleeping almost 24/7. Has anyone had a feral that shut down like this or was generally disengaged but nonetheless came around and was eventually able to be socialized?

Any tips on socializing a senior cat in particular? I have found a ton of info stating it cannot and should not be done (this article is an example: Socializing a Feral Cat: It’s all about Trust--the last sentences read "Please do not force a feral cat older than three years to live inside. There are certainly many instances where older kitties, especially if they’re ill, are ready for the change. But most older feral cats will never adapt, and it is not an act of love to force these kitties to 'learn' to live inside.") However, some members of this forum seem to have been successful with this?

We have an appointment with a good, cats-only vet in mid-January to have her ears and general condition evaluated, but I worry that trapping her and taking her in will destroy any sense of trust or security we might have built up before then. The vet does not do home appointments. I was planning to see if we could get some flavored gabapentin to add to her food before her appointment to basically drug her for the whole ordeal. But should we just skip it altogether?

I have several other questions, but this has gotten long enough as it is. Thanks for any thoughts you might have!

MAGICKCAT

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Clocat,

I have been able to tame a few feral cats in my life, but they ended up being both indoor and outdoor after getting them tamed. It took quite a number of years to get them to warm up.

However,every cat is different. I used Party Treats cat treats to get them to warm up. Something about the treats makes them want more and therefore open up to you more. Although, with this being a senior cat, treats may not be the best option. I did feed the feral cats regular cat food and the treats were put out every other day in between feeding times to keep the cats coming back and gaining their trust.

The fact that she's still eating is a very good sign. Is she on any kind of meds? That may have a bearing on her sleeping so much. If she is indeed going through a depression/shut down then that is definitely cause for concern. I'd be interested to see what some of the other more experienced cat members will recommend. Good luck with this feral baby, hope that everything turns out well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Clocat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Clocat,

I have been able to tame a few feral cats in my life, but they ended up being both indoor and outdoor after getting them tamed. It took quite a number of years to get them to warm up.

However,every cat is different. I used Party Treats cat treats to get them to warm up. Something about the treats makes them want more and therefore open up to you more. Although, with this being a senior cat, treats may not be the best option. I did feed the feral cats regular cat food and the treats were put out every other day in between feeding times to keep the cats coming back and gaining their trust.

The fact that she's still eating is a very good sign. Is she on any kind of meds? That may have a bearing on her sleeping so much. If she is indeed going through a depression/shut down then that is definitely cause for concern. I'd be interested to see what some of the other more experienced cat members will recommend. Good luck with this feral baby, hope that everything turns out well.
Thanks for your thoughts!! I have been giving her high reward food such as baked chicken as a treat. I don't want to give her too much rich stuff for fear that it might upset her stomach. She's not currently on any meds.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
I recomend you read Jcatbird Jcatbird thread
My Feral And Rescued Cats.

(Sorry I can't figure out how to do links)
She rescued over a 100 ferals who she socialized and found them loving homes. They were in dire peril and she stepped up to the plate putting herself in harms way to save them. NONE of them were turned back outside All are indoor cats. She still has a beloved inside clowder. Plain baked chicken isn't rich and is a good reward. Does she allow you to brush her? Brushing is an excellent way to bond. Please for Heavens sake (and hers) don't turn her loose outside. Gypsy was the neighborhood stray who we had been feeding, petting, brushing and bonding with for several months when in Oct of 2016 she decided to allow us to become her beloved minions. While the weather was cold she was content being inside but got antsy when Spring came around. I got her a walking jacket at first, we have several different types now, and she only goes outside in harness with us.
20221123_141501.jpg 20221122_163418.jpg 20221108_144348.jpg

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here is a really great video from Urban Cat League in NYC area. They have some great tips and tricks. The video is designed for feral kittens, but so many of their tips work for older feral cats too. I have used many of the tips and tricks to work with the feral cats I have rescued throughout the years.

Here is another great place to look. Flatbush Cats on Youtube. They have some great videos on socializing.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You've gotten some good suggestions/advice above! I would go one step further and propose that she is sleeping so much because she finally doesn't feel she has to be 'on guard' all the time. Her prior life was survival, so she is not likely to be a play-type cat either. As long as she eats willingly, let her rest. Since you have already had her to the vet a couple of times, it may be that she doesn't need gabapentin for this next trip. And, because she likes her carrier to sleep in, you might want to get another one for vet visits.

Clocat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I recomend you read Jcatbird Jcatbird thread
My Feral And Rescued Cats.

(Sorry I can't figure out how to do links)
She rescued over a 100 ferals who she socialized and found them loving homes. They were in dire peril and she stepped up to the plate putting herself in harms way to save them. NONE of them were turned back outside All are indoor cats. She still has a beloved inside clowder. Plain baked chicken isn't rich and is a good reward. Does she allow you to brush her? Brushing is an excellent way to bond. Please for Heavens sake (and hers) don't turn her loose outside. Gypsy was the neighborhood stray who we had been feeding, petting, brushing and bonding with for several months when in Oct of 2016 she decided to allow us to become her beloved minions. While the weather was cold she was content being inside but got antsy when Spring came around. I got her a walking jacket at first, we have several different types now, and she only goes outside in harness with us.
View attachment 439705View attachment 439706View attachment 439707
Gypsy is so adorable! I did look through that thread by JCatbird back when we first trapped her back in November. I need to revisit it for sure.

Clocat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here is a really great video from Urban Cat League in NYC area. They have some great tips and tricks. The video is designed for feral kittens, but so many of their tips work for older feral cats too. I have used many of the tips and tricks to work with the feral cats I have rescued throughout the years.

Here is another great place to look. Flatbush Cats on Youtube. They have some great videos on socializing.

Thank you! I will watch these.

Clocat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You've gotten some good suggestions/advice above! I would go one step further and propose that she is sleeping so much because she finally doesn't feel she has to be 'on guard' all the time. Her prior life was survival, so she is not likely to be a play-type cat either. As long as she eats willingly, let her rest. Since you have already had her to the vet a couple of times, it may be that she doesn't need gabapentin for this next trip. And, because she likes her carrier to sleep in, you might want to get another one for vet visits.
Thanks and I really hope you are right! And good point about the carrier; I wouldn't want to ruin a good thing by having her associate it with the vet.

Clocat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is her ninth day of captivity, and she's eating still, but I'm feeling very discouraged. She's no longer sleeping her carrier all the time, but is instead going from door to window to window. It doesn't help matters that it's nearly 60° outside which is just bonkers given how cold it was last week. I'm sure she wants outside and is wondering why we're continuing to hold her in here.

Also, I had hoped that her ear infection had cleared up somewhat after treating her for ear mites, but yesterday noticed her scratching and holding it at that weird angle, so this morning we're going to see if her vet can see her before her planned mid-January appointment. After that, I honestly might just let her go. Since the polar vortex I've read plenty of stories of feral cats that did not use outdoor shelters but nonetheless survived no worse for the wear. So maybe I kid myself that she needs us as much as I think she does.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Honestly, I would NOT let her back outside. She is eating and that is the best sign. Yes, she still may want outside, but in time she will adjust. Feliway plug ins can help as can Composure treat or Composure liquid max mixed into wet food. For the composure, it takes a lot of treat, sometimes as many as 4 at a time. The treats can be hard to chew so some cat do not like them. The liquid is easy to mix into wet food. It's chicken flavored. It is safe to double and even triple the recommended dosage for high stress times. The first feral I brought into the house was fine for a few days. Then he started yowling and howling all night long. I started him on the composure and he would stay calm for 6-8 hours. I would give him 1/4 t. during the day and 1/2 t. at night. Night time was his worst.

You could also play some calming music for her. Do you sit in the room with her and just allow her time with you. I used to go in and just sit on the floor. I would take a book or my ipad and just be. Make sure to avoid eye contact as that can really spook the cat.

I would really try to distract her when she is pacing. Can you close the blinds/curtains for now? I had to do that for awhile with quite of few of the feral cats I brought inside. Sometimes seeing the outside right now can be very hard for them. Allow her more time to adjust.

If you let her back out, your chances of catching her again are slim.

The first feral I brought inside took one solid year to adjust. There were many challenges along the way, with one step forward and 2 steps back. I just kept reminding myself that this was the best. Outside was just too dangerous. Cold/heat, rain/snow, other cats, humans, predators, etc....

You are very very early in the process. Please please do not give up. Another option for a vet is a mobile vet. When I brought 3 inside at once, I had a mobile vet that worked with feral cats come to the house. It was much easier.

We are all here to help you. Just don't give up.

Clocat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your encouragements. She is literally pacing the room. :( I sat with her in there for a couple hours this morning, and have also started sleeping in there (it's a spare bedroom), so she is definitely getting her fill of me! Our vet receptionist is checking with the vet about Composure liquid. Our vet can't see her for her ear infection till January 10 at the earliest, which frankly just sucks. I was hoping to see this particular vet, as she's very, VERY good at what she does and specializes in cats with difficult illnesses.

I feel like a monster in part because I am personally very outdoorsy, and know how antsy I feel when I'm cooped up inside. If it were gross or freezing outside this would be easier, I think.

A little while ago I put some tuna on my fingertip and extended it to see if she would lick it off. I got a horrified look from her, so after waiting for a few minutes I gave up.

I'm discouraged in part because, while I've read scattered success stories on this forum with socializing much older cats, the vast majority of advice on the subject is "don't do it," "limited chance of success," etc. If she hadn't shown up with the ear infection, I wouldn't ever have tried to catch her, as much as I've wanted to befriend her over the years.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hang in there with this, it will get better :) and you are so not a monster :heartshape:

scattered success stories on this forum with socializing much older cats,
I personally think that when people are being less than positive about this, there are other variables involved (unsupportive family members, dogs) but most particularly lack of time and patience.

Last edited:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I brought 3 feral cats inside 5 years ago. One was 8, one was 5 and one 4. None had every lived inside a house. We were moving so it was necessary to bring them along. I made the decision it was time for inside life. Now 5 years later, it was the best decision ever. The beginning was rough and we had good days and bad days. But they absolutely LOVE being inside now. Never ever have tried to get outside.

Think of the cold, snowy, raining, thundering days when you cannot find her. Think about when she is sick and you cannot catch her.

You can buy Composure through Amazon or Chewy. Feliway plugs in can also be found on Amazon, Chewy and most pet stores.

Clocat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Last night was rough :( It's warm and spring-like out (actual bugs flying around, people playing outside in shorts). I brought in a plate of food with a small amount of sardines on it and she was lying on a cat bed looking out the window. I sat down next to her. There have been several times before when she'd eaten while I sat there, but this time her mouth watered but she didn't eat. She turned to face away from me and looked out the window. I could tell she was breathing heavily. I finally gave up and got up to take her litterbox out of her room to clean it and she turned to face me with a wild look in her eye. It was not a look I'd seen before. When I brought the litterbox back into the room, she'd eaten the sardines and was on the floor in front of the door, ducking her head to look around me as if to assess her escape route. I slept in there last night and heard her pacing all around me.

I feel that she's just too feral, and what I'm doing to her feels cruel. If we weren't awaiting a vet appointment I would let her out this morning.

I did order composure treats as the vet office doesn't carry them.

Is this a normal part of the process? I feel terrible taking her away from her beloved territory.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is the hard part. But since she is eating and using the litter box, that is all a good sign. When a cat is terribly stressed they will refuse to eat. She is eating.

When you get the Composure treats, she will need quite a few of them. One will not be enough at first.

This is all a part of the process. You may feel sad and cruel right now, but you need to think about what will happen when it gets cold again and she gets sick. What happens if she runs off? This is a huge adjustment for her. Cats take a lot of time to adjust to new things.

Have you tried catnip wit her or playing with her? Most cats love it when you place an old towel on the floor, put a string or wand toy underneath and slowly pull. The catnip might help her too. Another idea is a laser pointer. Anything you can do to try and distract her and have her enjoy her new surroundings.

If she was too feral to be inside, she would not be out and about in the room. She would be hiding in a corner, not eating and not using the litter box.

Another tip is to try and keep your emotions in check around her. She will pick up on your angst. Be happy and upbeat when you are with her. Tell her about her new living arrangements. Tell her your job is to keep her safe and well. Repeat this over and over.

Clocat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is the hard part. But since she is eating and using the litter box, that is all a good sign. When a cat is terribly stressed they will refuse to eat. She is eating.

When you get the Composure treats, she will need quite a few of them. One will not be enough at first.

This is all a part of the process. You may feel sad and cruel right now, but you need to think about what will happen when it gets cold again and she gets sick. What happens if she runs off? This is a huge adjustment for her. Cats take a lot of time to adjust to new things.

Have you tried catnip wit her or playing with her? Most cats love it when you place an old towel on the floor, put a string or wand toy underneath and slowly pull. The catnip might help her too. Another idea is a laser pointer. Anything you can do to try and distract her and have her enjoy her new surroundings.

If she was too feral to be inside, she would not be out and about in the room. She would be hiding in a corner, not eating and not using the litter box.

Another tip is to try and keep your emotions in check around her. She will pick up on your angst. Be happy and upbeat when you are with her. Tell her about her new living arrangements. Tell her your job is to keep her safe and well. Repeat this over and over.
Thanks for your reply, your advice has been really helpful. I have tried playing with a string toy and a laser pointer but she is ever wary and watches my face instead of the toys. I will keep trying. I am encouraged that she is still eating and using the litterbox with only a couple of accidents. And very much agreed on not stressing out in her presence. I'm trying hard to avoid her room and/or go for a walk when I feel myself getting upset about the situation.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I used to feel like I could use the Composure treats too!! It is a stressful time. Try really hard to look at the good signs. She is eating and using the litter box. She is not hiding or refusing to come out. Look for the small things and focus on those. When we humans start to look at the big picture and all that still needs to happen, we get caught up and forget to look at the small steps that have already occurred. I always used to keep in the back of my mind that there would often be one tiny step forward and sometimes 2 steps backwards. Yet the backward steps never lasted long.

If she is food motived focus on using food as rewards. Gerber stage 2 baby food in the glass jars with blue label are kitty crack. I always have the turkey or chicken on hand. Ingredients should only be meat, water and modified food starch. You can take a baby sized spoon and duct tape it to a wand toy or dowel rod or even a stick. Have the pole 2-3 feet. Take a bit of the baby food and slowly reach it out to her on the spoon. Churu is another good one.