Socializing A Feral Cat With Her 2 Kittens

Catmama88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, a couple of weeks ago I realized a new cat in my neighborhood had kittens under my next door neighbors porch. I fed them for two weeks and eventually was able to trap them all. I had the mom cat spayed on Thursday and I had considered returning her outside but my neighbor insisted that he didn't want me to do that because his daughter is allergic and he didn't want her sticking around. I am unsure of her age but I have a strong affinity for her already and I have decided to take on attempting to socialize her, as well as her two kittens. The kittens are around 8 weeks and I think she was in the process of weaning them when I trapped her because they had started eating the food I was setting out but she was still lactating when my vet spayed her. Right now I have them in a small room in my basement with a window. I have the kittens set up in a large dog crate with litter, food and carrier. I have the mom in a separate crate with the same set up. I would like to give them more freedom in the room and the ability to mingle with eachother but I am worried that the moms fear will make it more challenging to socialize her kittens. The one kitten is very brave and most accepting of my presence. The other kitten is extremely shy. The mom seems calm and has not shown any aggression towards me since bringing her home from the vet, but I can tell she doesn't want me to get too close. I have some experience with feral kittens.. my 10 yr old male was an abandoned feral I found at 2 weeks old and bottle fed and my 1 year old male was an 8 week old abandoned feral that I successfully trapped and socialized. They are both well adjusted cats.. with some quirks of course! I have never tried to take in an older feral though, so any advice about whether I should keep mom and kittens together or separate would be greatly appreciated!! Also, I wanted to mention something interesting that happened earlier today.. my oldest cat walked by the door when I was visiting them earlier and the mom cat jumped up from the back of the crate and ran forward meowing to him and they sniffed noses but he decided to hiss at her and she backed off. I'm curious why she reacted that way towards him because she hasn't made a peep since I brought her inside. Thanks in advance for any replies!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The "feral" mom cat was informed by a hiss that your cat is dominant. She backed off and agreed to the terms.

The mom sounds like she is basically a sweet cat and may be very friendly once she gets familiar with you.

At 8 weeks, the kittens are ripe for socializing, but they still need their mom. All 3 will be happier back together.

I would put them together in a room (not caged) and begin sitting on the floor each day with them for awhile talking, observing, and playing/petting. Remember, it takes time!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here is a great video series on the rescue of feral kittens and their socialization process. It's a 3 part series so watch all to the end. There are a lot of great tips that work not only on feral kittens, but adult ferals as well.

Tough Love Video - UrbanCatLeague

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catmama88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have another question, if you don't mind. The mom and babies are roaming free in the room... the little ones are ecstatic and have worn themselves out from playing. Mom on the other hand is anxious and perched in the window seemingly searching for a way out. Do you think it is better or worse for her to be able to see outside?

Catmama88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the video link!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have always allowed the feral cats I have brought inside, access to see outside. Just be sure the window is tightly closed. Also watch to be sure drapes, blinds ( cords and strings). Mine all used to throw themselves repeatedly at the window. I also had to be careful coming in and out of the room as they wanted to escape there too. I had to use a baby gate that was very tall.
To help them all calm, you can try Feliway plug ins. I also used Composure calming treats and then moved to Composure liquid Max. It's a non sedating calming supplement. It helped mine to calm.

Also you can play a radio. I prefer a station that has both talk and soft music. It allows the cats to hear other human voices.

Sitting on the floor and just talking is also great. Be careful with direct eye contact too. Just slow and steady.

Catmama88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I wanted to give an update about my situation.. it's been about a month that the cats have been indoors. The one kitten has been easy to socialize, he is very comfortable with me and my family and we are working on slowly introducing him to my other pets and the rest of the house. The other kitten is still very unsure. She has become more curious and is comfortable being close to me but she still runs when I reach out to pet her. I'm sure she will come around eventually, it's interesting to see how different their personalities are! They are about 12 weeks old now. Mama cat is a different story, sometimes I feel like I'm making progress but then I worry if maybe she would be happier outside. She has become very vocal with me.. she meows when she hears me coming and it's meal time, but sometimes the meowing is followed by hissing as I walk into the room. She will eat in front of me but is still very skittish if I move around at all. I have attempted to play with her but she just sits and watches and it seems to make her more uncomfortable. On two separate occasions she has started to purr and knead in front of me and then she sticks her butt up in the air. My older male cat does this when I pet him on his lower back but I have never seen him do it without being touched. I have read that it is a behavior of cats in heat but she was spayed a month ago so I'm not sure. I would like to think she is feeling more comfortable but it's hard to say. Overall,

Catmama88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i would say that I'm feeling positive about our progress but as I have heard other people say many times, it is definitely a roller coaster of emotions. Any further advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It can take lots and lots and lots of time for them all to be comfortable. The first feral I brought inside, it took him one solid year to adjust to inside living. He to this day is still very skittish. When visitors come to the house, they rarely see him. He is still afraid of the vacuum and other loud noises. Yet he is very sweet and loving. I wouldn't trade him for anything. He has been inside for 4 years now.

I brought another one inside last December. He adjusted quicker as he really liked being with my other cats. He too is skittish, but getting better and better.

It just takes lots of time and patience. Don't give up on the mom and the more shy kitten. They are all inside a warm loving home. The Mom cat may never be a lap kitty, but she inside and safe.

As for the butt in the air, this is just a happy sign for cats. Many cats loved to have their rear ends rubbed and then raise their butt and tail in the air. My vet calls it the kitty bump. It is a good sign!

Thanks for the update.