Socializing 8-week-old Foster Kitten

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm fostering this adorable little foster kitten named Tabitha (Foster Kitten Tabitha). While she isn't feral by any means - she meows for attention, willingly climbs onto laps, and purrs like crazy - she is a little afraid of hands. That may be due to a history of abuse; the poor little thing was found covered in glue and with her paws tied up.

So how do I get her to trust hands more? She hasn't learned to head bunt and doesn't seem to enjoy petting much. Of course, being a kitten, she has the attention span of a mayfly and doesn't sit still for more than a few seconds so training has been difficult.

The other complication is that she loves playing with my resident cat Saipha, and whenever they're in the same room, Tabitha only pays attention to Saipha. When she isn't actively playing with Saipha, she's rocketing around the room and tumbling with toys. As a result, it's been difficult getting her to interact with humans.

Any advice?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Maybe try petting her with a feather on the end of the stick. That should get her used to the feeling of being pet. Eventually you can try petting her with your hands again. You're doing a wonderful thing for this kitten.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you abyeb! I'll try that. Though my suspicion is that she'll think the feather on a stick is the best toy ever.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you abyeb! I'll try that. Though my suspicion is that she'll think the feather on a stick is the best toy ever.
Then you can let her play with it. I think as long as you're spending time together, that's a good thing. When she learns to trust you more, she might be more willing to be pet. You can also leave the radio on in her room when you're away, to get her used to the sound of human voices.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello ardina, Tabitha looks that she's has been quite socialized already since she's purring, meowing and climbing up onto laps.

Besides what abyeb abyeb mentioned, show her a clenched your fist (please do not punch her with your fist :lol:), present it to her slowly and let her smell your fist and let her make the first move of rubbing her cheeks against your fist. By forming a fist, it looks like another head and it does not look as threatening as a palm of your hand.
Once she is used to your fist, gently slide your fist from her along her face to the ears and up on the head. Also do head bunts with her with your fist.

It may take a few tries but do t give up. After that once she's used to your fist, slowly proceed with your hands to pet her.

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks tabbytom! I've been trying the closed fist, but she'll come to within a few inches of it and then shy away. You're right that she is pretty much socialized. She will sit on my lap as long as my hands are down and away. Once she settles in my lap, I can slowly move my hands up and place them near her, even pet her back a few times, but if I get near her head, she gets uncomfortable and turns around so my hands aren't near her head anymore. Approaching with my hands from the front also makes her shy away.

Edit: I just discovered that if she's sleepy and relaxed, she'll let me stroke the top of her head with a finger! I guess I just need to be patient and wait until she's relaxed.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Stroking her head with just a finger is a great progress. Do it often till she does not find the hand a threat. It may take awhile but it's worth the while :wink:

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thought I'd update - foster kitten Tabitha is now foster fail Mishka. Oops :rolleyes:

So after a couple of weeks of petting her only when she's sleepy and relaxed and stopping after a few strokes to make sure she doesn't get overstimulated, she was gradually getting used to hands. Yesterday, I was brushing her with a new brush that she really loves, and it somehow flipped a switch for her. I think she discovered that hands are a lot like brushes. Now, whenever she can reach my hands, she'll run up to them and rub her head and sides all over! She's also discovered chin scritches. I'm so happy with how far she's come! :redheartpump: Thanks for all your help, abyeb and tabbytom!

Here's a recent picture of her enjoying the cat tree:

IMG_3041.jpg