Social Hierarchy/Pecking Order?

Paris Pluto

Cat Daddy
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I've read many websites regarding cats following a social hierarchy/pecking order and I keep seeing two distinct answers.

"Cat's adhere to a social hierarchy"

"Unlike some animals, cats do NOT have a hierarchy"

Let's just say it's all a little confusing. I currently have 3 female DSH cats; Billie (semi feral senior), Jiggy (2yo) and Malibu (6 months). Billie is definitely the "Alpha" and being semi feral, she attacks everyone and their mother so the two younger ones stay away from her at all costs.

Malibu was adopted only 3 months ago; Malibu and Jiggy get along pretty well now but if Malibu plays too rough with her, she will normally just run off to the spare room or go outside.

Over the last week or so, I have noticed that Malibu has really been pushing her limits with Jiggy. She is constantly stalking/chasing/pouncing on Jiggy, who in all fairness does reciprocate when she's in the mood but Malibu just keeps coming at her even if she's sleeping which then results in a fair bit of hissing as of late.

So...... Is Malibu trying to establish her 'place' in a pecking order? Or is she just getting more comfortable and wanting to play more? I was always under the impression that cat's did indeed have a pecking order and it seems as if Malibu is trying to find her 'place' but then I've seen articles that say cats do not adhere to a hierarchy.

Would love to hear everyone's opinion on this topic.

Thanks!

P.S. Here's a pic of Jiggy and Malibu earlier today... Very rare moment.
20191229_224806.jpg

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats definitely have their territory where they feel comfortable and will feel invaded when a newcomer shows up. I believe in heirarchy in the household but believe it is due more to the cat's personality and temperament. Billie is crabby and oldest so naturally she doesn't want to play and mess with 'youngsters'. Jiggy is still young and just out of kittenhood, and most likely has an ourtgoing confidant personality, so naturally she is more inclined to play and to be interested in the newcomer. Females are the limit setters and manner's teachers. Jiggy will keep Malibu in line and that is perfectly normal. If Malibu has a more confidant and aggressive personality than Jiggy, she may very well take over the role as 'second' in the household eventually and Jiggy will be happy to let her. Since they both stay away from Billie, that means Billie is all business and though she tolerates them and accepts them as family she actually hurts them when she disciplines and they have learned to stay away. Which is exactly how she wats it. Jiggy may forget herself once in a while and become hurtful, or she may be trying to discipline, so that is why Malibu runs away at times. Perfectly normal. Hissing, swatting, growling, and even occaisional pinning the ground by the neck are all normal. The way to know if all is going well is to see if Malibu hides from Jiggy and avoids any contact, like she does Billie. (Which is normal with a senior cat at times, they may have painful joints, or are not interested at all in play and nonsense.) That means she is actually getting hurt. If she comes back for more play after a while, everything is well. Jiggy will learn too about how rough to be, Malibu will not want to be around her and that is not what she wants, she wants a friend and eventual family member. Remember that kittens are real pains at time to older cats with their constant movement and high enegy. they all need tehir space once in a while, so make sure teh two older ones have a high up place to retreat to that is easy to defend and out of the kittens play path. make sure teh kitten has plenty of toys too. all will settle down eventually, it just takes one day at a time......All the luck!

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im assuming jiggy is the larger cat on the left and malibu is the tabby on the right?

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I believe domestic cats also follow some social hierarchy. In my house I notice it is Bourbon who is "up" there, or is regarded as the "leader". The couches and favorite spot on the bed where she usually lays or stays - none of my other cats would want to mess with. At few times Graham would want to test the boundaries, but I observe she would literally proceed very cautiously and see if Bourbon would swat her or not - which oftentimes swatting does happen. :lol:

During playtime Bourbon can sometimes play with the other two cats - but she must not be touched, or else all hell would break loose. When Bourbon is situated at the door, my other two cats would walk seemingly on tiptoe - careful not to touch a single fur of Queen Bourbon. The hissing and growling in the house are only coming from Bourbon. When she does that, the other two cats would back off.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Paris Pluto

Cat Daddy
Adult Cat
Purraise
The way to know if all is going well is to see if Malibu hides from Jiggy and avoids any contact, like she does Billie.
So far, Malibu has never hid/retreated from Jiggy. She just keeps going back for more and Jiggy will hiss or slap when she's had enough so I guess this is a good sign. Thanks so much for your quick and detailed response :hearthrob:

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I believe that some cats like to play play play and just do not notice or think nothing of ignoring social cues like hissing. Its super common, and I've seen enough applications of it that I can't believe it is always dominance/hierarchy. For example, when my 4 year old was a kitten, he was fostered with a 3 legged adult cat. I was in that home 45 minutes, and my future cat tormented the &^%! out of that poor cat. It also seems to be a common problem when one cat is more active/playful, or larger/more vigorous. Rather than dominance/hierarchy, I think this is mostly thoughtlessness. Evidence for this may be found at the food dish -- sometimes the play-bullies will defer at the food dish.

Speaking of food dish pecking order, I've found that it doesn't necessarily seem to correspond with anything else and believe that some cats just care more about food, and some are more willing to wait. I'm not saying play behavior or food behavior are never related to dominance, just that they clearly can be related to other things and we shouldn't be too quick to read dominance into every cat behavior.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I've read many websites regarding cats following a social hierarchy/pecking order and I keep seeing two distinct answers.

"Cat's adhere to a social hierarchy"

"Unlike some animals, cats do NOT have a hierarchy"

Let's just say it's all a little confusing. I currently have 3 female DSH cats; Billie (semi feral senior), Jiggy (2yo) and Malibu (6 months). Billie is definitely the "Alpha" and being semi feral, she attacks everyone and their mother so the two younger ones stay away from her at all costs.

Malibu was adopted only 3 months ago; Malibu and Jiggy get along pretty well now but if Malibu plays too rough with her, she will normally just run off to the spare room or go outside.

Over the last week or so, I have noticed that Malibu has really been pushing her limits with Jiggy. She is constantly stalking/cha

So...... Is Malibu trying to establish her 'place' in a pecking order? Or is she just getting more comfortable and wanting to play more? I was always under the impression that cat's did indeed have a pecking order and it seems as if Malibu is trying to find her 'place' but then I've seen articles that say cats do not adhere to hierarchy.

Would love to hear everyone's opinion on this topic.

Thanks!

P.S. Here's a pic of Jiggy and Malibu earlier today... Very rare moment.
View attachment 315054
I think malibu is establishing her place AND she wants to play more. But jiggy looks much larger and could easily put malibu in her place if she wished.

Malibu cant play with or test billie as billie will discipline her quickly, so jiggy is the only option.

I think jiggy and malibu will sort it out. There is a big personality difference between a 6 month old and two year old cat.

My boys, greg and arnold definitely have a hierarchy. Greg will almost always instigate the wrestling matches, sometimes he will jump on arnolds back and bite the back of his neck. Greg lets out his battle cry and arnold lets out his deep growl. Yet it is arnold who is the boss and with just a look, banish greg to the far corner of the room or make him so uncomfortable as to leave for another part of the home.

Despite this well established hierarchy, I have many many pictures of the boys side by side, with even the same postures and expressions.

They are simple, complex, predictable, yet full of surprises....thats part of what makes them so wonderful. So long as no one is getting hurt or being bullied excessively.....I just enjoy their antics and try to show them all equal love and affection.

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Paris Pluto

Cat Daddy
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think malibu is establishing her place AND she wants to play more. But jiggy looks much larger and could easily put malibu in her place if she wished.

Malibu cant play with or test billie as billie will discipline her quickly, so jiggy is the only option.

I think jiggy and malibu will sort it out. There is a big personality difference between a 6 month old and two year old cat.

My boys, greg and arnold definitely have a hierarchy. Greg will almost always instigate the wrestling matches, sometimes he will jump on arnolds back and bite the back of his neck. Greg lets out his battle cry and arnold lets out his deep growl. Yet it is arnold who is the boss and with just a look, banish greg to the far corner of the room or make him so uncomfortable as to leave for another part of the home.

Despite this well established hierarchy, I have many many pictures of the boys side by side, with even the same postures and expressions.

They are simple, complex, predictable, yet full of surprises....thats part of what makes them so wonderful. So long as no one is getting hurt or being bullied excessively.....I just enjoy their antics and try to show them all equal love and affection.
Thank you for your helpful response :) Also, your boys are absolutely exquisite!

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
3 female DSH cats; Billie (semi feral senior), Jiggy (2yo) and Malibu (6 months). Billie is definitely the "Alpha" and being semi feral, she attacks everyone and their mother so the two younger ones stay away from her at all costs.

Over the last week or so, I have noticed that Malibu has really been pushing her limits with Jiggy. She is constantly stalking/chasing/pouncing on Jiggy, who in all fairness does reciprocate when she's in the mood but Malibu just keeps coming at her even if she's sleeping which then results in a fair bit of hissing as of late.

So...... Is Malibu trying to establish her 'place' in a pecking order? Or is she just getting more comfortable and wanting to play more? I was always under the impression that cat's did indeed have a pecking order and it seems as if Malibu is trying to find her 'place' but then I've seen articles that say cats do not adhere to hierarchy.
I believe cats can have a pecking order, but mainly I believe that their social development is age-related, as it is with human development. Younger cats, age 6-18 months, are testing the waters of social hierarchies as a result of the ages they are and the natural development or phase they are going through at the time. So, the two younger cats in your house, ages 2 and 6 months, are learning and testing their pecking order. Billie is already the "alpha".