Soap licking

cat brothers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I read somewhere in a cat publication that there would be an article on why cats lick soap but never saw said article so as a new member to this site, I am throwing out the question to see if anyone can be of help.
I have two cats but one loves to lick the hand soap, particularly Ivory, all without seeming consequence and am curious to know why.
Does anyone know the answer--not just speculation?

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Maybe your cat wants a bath!
Even tho cats supposedly don't like water, they love it when they had a bath and are clean and fluffy. At least mine do.

kumbulu

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS.

Cats who lick soap don't usually do it because they're sick or lacking in something. Dogs and ferrets do it too. Soap is made partly from animal fat, so it may be that, that they're attracted to. One or two licks shouldn't cause problems but extended licking can cause diarrhoea, so I'd advise you to keep the soap out of the cat's reach.

mia's mommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mia hates soap whenever i hold it up for her to sniff she turns up her nose and gets down off the edge of the tub. The only thing she shows interest in that she shouldn't are my wigs. She tries to eat them.

crt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of my cats licks soap. She will lick only the french soap for some reason, which I find odd as it is perfumed! Anyway, when I see her licking, I put it away. She also loves to lick photographs.

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crt

One of my cats licks soap. She will lick only the french soap for some reason, which I find odd as it is perfumed! Anyway, when I see her licking, I put it away. She also loves to lick photographs.
My cat licks photographs too! I wonder why!

meistersar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My female 3 year old LOVES to try to lick the soap, and also perfume or cologne.

I believe this is because there is some pheremones given off by animal by-products in this stuff. I read once that some cologne and perfume actually uses types of animal secretions that give off a particular scent that's supposed to be 'attractive' to the other sex, hence why animals have it in the first place I suppose.

Maybe they can smell this in there and that's why some cats seem to like it so much?

And now that you mention it, she licks photographs too... but she is kind of a strange cat to start with

kumbulu

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Photographs have gelatin emulsion which is made from animal products. One of my cats, Coffee tries to lick my underarms after I've put deodorant on. I don't let her though, because the chemicals can make her sick.

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Slight tangent but my dog once ate half a bar of soap before anyone discovered it. She threw up bubbles. I've never before experienced clean smelling animal sick. I hope I never do again. It seemed both clean and gross at the same time. Confusing scents really throws a person off their A-game.

P.S. The dog was fine!

untamed sprayer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mrs. Grace Jones (Bengal rascal, 4 y.o.) licks only my shaving soap and lather leftovers on the sinktop. Tabac soap, very rich on animal fat. She don't care about the vegetal base hand soap.

dlbttnr5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our cat has always licked soap.  He also has kidney disease.  We prevent him from doing this by putting the soap away in a drawer.  It only works when everyone complies and he does not have access to the soap.  So and I could be way off...kidney issues?