So, Your TWO Cats Are Best Buddies?

afp89898

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was just about to create a thread on this topic! So maybe you guys can give some info on your experiences so far with your cats because i've never had 2 kitties at the same time before!

I'm looking at the prospect of possibly adopting 2 Cats. Both will probably be around 1 1/2 or 2 years old at least and 3 at the oldest. From reading everybody's posts so far it sounds like it is kind of random as to whether or not the cats will get along good or just tolerate one another...No patterns really. Just depends on each cats personality.

I think adopting a mother-daughter or sister-sister combo would be my first preference (because it sounds like family members tolerate each other more than 2 cats just meeting each other.) but I would look into getting a boy-girl combo if that will make them co-exist more peacefully. I just like girls a little better, hate having to worry about a boy spraying in our house.

So what would be the best advice? Adopt 2 girls from the same foster home, possibly sisters or should I just pick each cat seperately from completely different sources and then introduce them at our house?

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by afp89898

So what would be the best advice? Adopt 2 girls from the same foster home, possibly sisters or should I just pick each cat seperately from completely different sources and then introduce them at our house?
Hi again. It's very nice to see you've thought this through
Fostered sisters from the same litter sounds like a great idea to me. Especially if they're already emotionally close (in other words, "already favorite" toward each other)

Just my opinion

sflacat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Bubba and CC.Pictured here were found a few months apart.Became fast friends.1-1/2 years old now they still play,some cuddling,more play.
Our older cat Red (male)of 8 years still not 100% with them.He tolerates them and occasionally plays but still kinda standoffish.

Jeff

http://picasaweb.google.com/j.jeff.t...16367900138546

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pdaj

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow, thanks for all the responses! I've loved reading them all. Keep e'm comin'! It's amazing to me how much cats respond to the personality of their "owner". I swore it would have taken much longer, but a day after two weeks, it's lookin' really, really good for my sweethearts.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Once cats become adults blood relationships do not matter to them. My cats have, always, all been adopted at different times, usually as adults. With time, they have all learned to live together and mostly love one another.

I'm not just talking abut the existing three, but all cats I've ever had.

since I prefer at least three cats, when one leaves us, I adopt another, so I've been through the introductions a lot.

Adopting two who are already bonded of course, will give you what you are hoping for with less work.

horseygal90

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hmm. Both my two were from the same house, taken in at the same time, (which in hindsight was probably a mistake on Poppets part, as she is at least a week younger than Snowball) and they can just about tolerate each other - they don't fight too badly, but every few months Poppet will push Snowballs buttons and they'll have a very tame fight. They don't snuggle with each other; just steal each others food and bed!

If they worked together I imagine they'd be quite dangerous hunters... but that requires effort, and Snowball just doesn't do effort! :p