So Worried About My Foster Kittens

Doody

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I took my two 9 week old kittens and their mother to be spayed 4-5 days ago. They were in funk for a couple days, seemed to come out of it, but now both have diarrhea and a lack of appetite. I took a runny stool sample in yesterday, but she said it may not be a big enough sample for a test :( I am taking them in this morning to be seen -- they are not themselves at all, and I am so worried. They both had zero interest in the canned food this morning.

They have been dewormed twice -- last time being days ago. The mother's stools and appetite is fine.

What could be going on??

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Some worming products will cause diarrhea in kittens. I am not sure about the lack of appetite, but it is possible that they just feel bad enough from the diarrhea that they don't want to eat. They are young enough, the diarrhea could be dehydrating them. If they are on antibiotics, which some vets prescribe after spaying/neutering, that can cause diarrhea and stomach upset too.

I hope the vet does a full fecal PCR test on their stool, which will look for not only parasites but bacteria as well.

Good luck and let us know how the vet visit went!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Doody

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry for the late reply. It was a very stressful week! Stool sample was negative. Bloodwork showed dehydration and white blood cell count on the low end. She put them on Amoxicillin and they got sub-q fluids two days in row. Still took about three more days for the stools to firm up, but I'm happy to say they are back to the crazy kittens they were before.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry for the late reply. It was a very stressful week! Stool sample was negative. Bloodwork showed dehydration and white blood cell count on the low end. She put them on Amoxicillin and they got sub-q fluids two days in row. Still took about three more days for the stools to firm up, but I'm happy to say they are back to the crazy kittens they were before.
Good news! You did great!