So what's on the menu tonight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So, tonight. Time for some pork. Got a few skinny little chops in the freezer that I'm going to pound **** out of and do cutlets. A few sliced mushrooms and a little vermouth to finish them. Garlic carrots. Boiled new potatoes tossed with pesto. Blueberries and yogurt for dessert.

4dogs3cats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, it was goooood! We have a new delivery service in our city, and we ordered for the very first time from our FAVORITE Chinese restaurant! Happy Family, Beef with Garlic Sauce, Veggie Fried Rice, 2 eggrolls, chicken wings. YUM, YUM, YUMMMMM!!!

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a chicken salad. My parents had cream tuna on toast with peas it makes me gag so my mom made me a salad instead.
I love tuna but not cooked.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Spaghetti and garlic bread here tonight. Not sure we have enough salad fixings left though so may have to do without that part. Really wish I didn't live in an apartment so I could grow my own veggies!

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

So, tonight. Time for some pork. Got a few skinny little chops in the freezer that I'm going to pound **** out of and do cutlets. A few sliced mushrooms and a little vermouth to finish them. Garlic carrots. Boiled new potatoes tossed with pesto. Blueberries and yogurt for dessert.
I read that as "varnish" instead of vermouth! I'm betting the vermouth tasted a whole lot better!

I had leftover steak with zuccini and tomatoes. The zuccini came from a generous client with a lovely garden, and it was monstrous! I would love my own veggie garden too.

Yosemite - try chimichangas one day!
Not the healthiest choice, I'll admit but oh so good. Basically, they're tortillas and you soak the tortilla in melted butter before rolling it and then cook in the oven at high heat for 10 minutes. It comes out like flaky pastry. So yummy!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by pushylady

I read that as "varnish" instead of vermouth! I'm betting the vermouth tasted a whole lot better!

I had leftover steak with zuccini and tomatoes. The zuccini came from a generous client with a lovely garden, and it was monstrous! I would love my own veggie garden too.

Not the healthiest choice, I'll admit but oh so good. Basically, they're tortillas and you soak the tortilla in melted butter before rolling it and then cook in the oven at high heat for 10 minutes. It comes out like flaky pastry. So yummy!
Ooooo, that DOES sound yummy. (Naughty, yes, but I always say, "Moderation in all things -- including moderation!
" )

I have a yen for yam fries -- a serious yen! Now all I have to do is figure out what to serve with them.

kimberleigh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Homemade calzones. I made whole wheat dough, though, and stuffed them with tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese, mushrooms, onions, red bell peppers and baked chicken breast pieces. Side dish of steamed broccoli.

lynsey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Crockpot chicken enchiladas, veggies and black or refried beans - put some large chicken pieces in a crockpot, a bottle of Trader Joe's enchilada sauce and left it on low for 7-8 hours. (I hope it tastes good
)

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Homemade mushroom and barley soup, it has 5 minutes left and smells divine!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by pushylady

I think you'll have to show me how Wendy.

John did kebabs of jumbo shrimp, large scallops, shitaki mushrooms, baby roma tomatoes and onion on the BBQ. I did up a marinade of olive oil, lime and lemon juice, fresh basil, shallots and John threw in some Mrs. Dash's seasoning. It was quite good. Had it with baby potatoes and brussel sprouts. I don't like brussel sprouts much but they are good for you so I put lots of butter and parmesan cheese on them to make them edible.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I think you'll have to show me how Wendy.

John did kebabs of jumbo shrimp, large scallops, shitaki mushrooms, baby roma tomatoes and onion on the BBQ. I did up a marinade of olive oil, lime and lemon juice, fresh basil, shallots and John threw in some Mrs. Dash's seasoning. It was quite good. Had it with baby potatoes and brussel sprouts. I don't like brussel sprouts much but they are good for you so I put lots of butter and parmesan cheese on them to make them edible.
That sounds like a serious yum! As to brussel sprouts, they're not our favourite, either, but we find another thing that makes them more palatable is lots of freshly ground black pepper -- but then that fixes LOTS of things!

The yam fries will accompany panfried smokies and salad.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

That sounds like a serious yum! As to brussel sprouts, they're not our favourite, either, but we find another thing that makes them more palatable is lots of freshly ground black pepper -- but then that fixes LOTS of things!

The yam fries will accompany panfried smokies and salad.
I'll try the pepper since I looooove pepper. Most waiters get sore wrists when I eat in restaurants and they bring around the pepper mill.

My new stove is arriving this morning and I can barely wait to get home after work. I promised John I would make him a cherry pie so that's what I'll probably be doing this weekend.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I'll try the pepper since I looooove pepper. Most waiters get sore wrists when I eat in restaurants and they bring around the pepper mill.
Yeah, I know what you mean!
Turnip's another veg that benefits bigtime from pepper (and butter, of course!)

My new stove is arriving this morning and I can barely wait to get home after work. I promised John I would make him a cherry pie so that's what I'll probably be doing this weekend.
Covetcovetcovet That sounds like a good initiation for it.

And for us tonight, it looks like a mess of chicken wings on the BBQ and a pile of Caesar Salad. I was pondering what to do and muttered that we were due for some poultry and Rob lit up his little boy face and said "Chicken wings????
" I don't think of them as a "Friday night dinner" so it hadn't occurred to me, but -- why not? I think I might pick up a Tiramisu for dessert.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Yeah, I know what you mean!
Turnip's another veg that benefits bigtime from pepper (and butter, of course!)

Covetcovetcovet That sounds like a good initiation for it.

And for us tonight, it looks like a mess of chicken wings on the BBQ and a pile of Caesar Salad. I was pondering what to do and muttered that we were due for some poultry and Rob lit up his little boy face and said "Chicken wings????
" I don't think of them as a "Friday night dinner" so it hadn't occurred to me, but -- why not? I think I might pick up a Tiramisu for dessert.
We (well John does) loves chicken wings. Got any magic recipe?

Turnip - actually I rather like turnip (especially the greens). A couple years ago I did a turnip casserole to take to our family Thanksgiving day dinner. You cook and mash the turnip with a bit of butter. Put half the turnip in a glass casserole dish. Peel, core and slice a couple apples, toss them in brown sugar and a bit of cinnamon. Layer those on top of the turnip, put the remainder of the turnip on top of the apples. Make any kind of crumbly type top you like - bread crumbs or whatever your favourite topping is. I would think that crushing some seasoned croutons might work well too. Bake for about 30 minutes at 350. It's very tasty and unique.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

We (well John does) loves chicken wings. Got any magic recipe?

Turnip - actually I rather like turnip (especially the greens). A couple years ago I did a turnip casserole to take to our family Thanksgiving day dinner. You cook and mash the turnip with a bit of butter. Put half the turnip in a glass casserole dish. Peel, core and slice a couple apples, toss them in brown sugar and a bit of cinnamon. Layer those on top of the turnip, put the remainder of the turnip on top of the apples. Make any kind of crumbly type top you like - bread crumbs or whatever your favourite topping is. I would think that crushing some seasoned croutons might work well too. Bake for about 30 minutes at 350. It's very tasty and unique.
OooH, that I'm going to have to try. In fact, it just got slapped into my Palm memos for later tiddlying up.

Chicken wings. I just let them sit in BBQ sauce for an hour or so, and then stick them on the BBQ, medium heat turning frequently and basting every so often for 10-ish minutes, until they're done to your taste -- I don't mind a little charring.

Any BBQ sauce would be fine. The one I use is an easy whip-up: about 2-4 tablespoons each of soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce to about a cup of ketchup, season to taste with fresh grated ginger and fresh pressed garlic. Keeps forever in the fridge, goes with lots of things, easy to top up on the fly.

Conventional wisdom says not to put a tomato based BBQ sauce on until near the end of cooking, lest it burn. This is a short enough cooking time, that that's not really an issue.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

OooH, that I'm going to have to try. In fact, it just got slapped into my Palm memos for later tiddlying up.

Chicken wings. I just let them sit in BBQ sauce for an hour or so, and then stick them on the BBQ, medium heat turning frequently and basting every so often for 10-ish minutes, until they're done to your taste -- I don't mind a little charring.

Any BBQ sauce would be fine. The one I use is an easy whip-up: about 2-4 tablespoons each of soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce to about a cup of ketchup, season to taste with fresh grated ginger and fresh pressed garlic. Keeps forever in the fridge, goes with lots of things, easy to top up on the fly.

Conventional wisdom says not to put a tomato based BBQ sauce on until near the end of cooking, lest it burn. This is a short enough cooking time, that that's not really an issue.
I have everything in the fridge to make this sauce so I shall be making some this weekend. Thanks! John will love it - any excuse to use his new BBQ.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I have everything in the fridge to make this sauce so I shall be making some this weekend. Thanks! John will love it - any excuse to use his new BBQ.
If you are into ribs, it's particularly good for them. BTW, those proportions are pretty loose -- it's very much a "to taste" thing. Anyway, enjoy.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

If you are into ribs, it's particularly good for them. BTW, those proportions are pretty loose -- it's very much a "to taste" thing. Anyway, enjoy.
I hear ya! My BBQ for ribs is pretty much like that as well - a dash of this and a shake of that. Always turns out fabulous though.

Status
Not open for further replies.