So What Is Cat Nip?

Johnv713

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Pardon the dumb question but what the heck it? What does it do? How much to use per cat?I just ordered a small tub after reading a comment on yahoo.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have found that it affects cat differently. Some become very excited, some can become aggressive whilst others chilled. My catnip plant is the green one in the earth between the two pots. You can see what it does to my three.
20180518_114206.jpg

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Catnip makes most cats feel either very playful or very relaxed/stoned. I usually throw a few teaspoons of it out on the rug. She eats some and then rolls in the rest.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Gohan gets very animated and excited on catnip - he zooms around and plays a lot. Olive is less excitable but she really plays with catnip toys. Our boy Trin never really got into catnip and didn’t seem to have much affect.

As for how much, we either fill a whole toy with it or we sprinkle a handful on the ground.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
And some don't like it at all. None of the 5 here are affected by catnip. I wound up just making myself catnip tea with it instead

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
My boy Snowball...when I do give him a dab on one of his toys..he plays with it a bit n thats about it...which he is 11 yrs old too...but he used to roll around in it after he played with his toy...I dont give it to him that much ANYMORE cause it says it gives the cat like an almost high..n I dont think that is good for a cat...But REALLY I m NOT SURE..I read that somewhere online...:dunno:

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Toffee has taken a liking to catnip lately, which he never did before (though I did read once that kittens don't develop a taste for it until they're a year). He's even opened up his toy mice to get the catnip outside, lol.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Johnv713

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@verna you sure its the catnip or your cats are inherently lazy :)

How often can i use it on the cat? Mybguess its not an everyday thing? Is it harmful to other animals? Inhave dogs and a mischevious ferret that likes to get his nose into every thing.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It won't affect other animals, and is safe for them. There are just some plants that have a euphoric effect on cats for some reason. Silver vine, honeysuckle, valerian, and Indian nettle have similar effects.

If you give it too often, they get bored with it. So, yeah, best to keep it as an uncommon treat.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
J Johnv713 . You could be right about my mob. What better than lazing on a sunny day.

Catnip is a seditive for dogs, often used for issues with stress. Ferrets apparently don't like the smell. Cats often play with catnip toys daily but I personally wouldnt use it more than once a day then only a small amount.

Johnv713

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow i just opened a tub and my cat rub his face all over it. This sure is kitty crack! Lol

recurringecho

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Aww cute~ Multo would rub and roll all over it and then lick and chomp on the leaves. He gets so hyper and "aggressive" but in a playful way (claws out, lots of love bites and slobber). As my brother said as he hovered over my shoulder as I reached out to play with him, "he's gonna kill you".

Johnv713

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My tuxedo went straight for it. The tub got wet aroubd the rims. I bet he drooled :)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, you might want to take it out of the tub so he doesn't drool on the whole batch, lol.

I usually put a big pinch on the carpet (or on a mat if you don't want to vacuum), and let the cat lick it and roll on it that way.

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is the first time I gave catnip to Oliver. This is his version of the zoomies as his default behaviour is very calm.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
It won't affect other animals, and is safe for them. There are just some plants that have a euphoric effect on cats for some reason. Silver vine, honeysuckle, valerian, and Indian nettle have similar effects.

If you give it too often, they get bored with it. So, yeah, best to keep it as an uncommon treat.
Maybe that's why Shaman and the other cats are drawn to these bushes and the one tree. There's honeysuckle there. Odd as they don't like catnip but like honeysuckle.

Actually with Treasure it's a good thing he doesn't like catnip. He's more hyper than the video shows without it.

Johnv713

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He tried to eat it but my other cats didnt care for the catnip. Its funny how cats react differently.