So there is a stray cat that keeps coming near my apartment...

Yania

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have two kittens and before we used to feed some of the strays months ago, now one of the males always comes by and sits by my window. The thing is our kittens are not only female 10 week olds but they're not fully vaccinated, they only have the FIV and distemper vaccines. Today that tomcat came up near my Oreo and they were only separated by the window screen! I don't want my kittens to get sick and to be honest, we cannot afford to feed the tomcat because we run out of food quickly and I don't appreciate him getting close to my kittens when he looks kind of sick (his eye looks messed up?). We got our kittens for free and try to save up as much as we can but we cannot afford any surgeries or any treatments for any stray cat related diseases! How should I go about this problem with the stray cat always trying to come near my kittens, they're very curious and everytime he comes by they come by the window and meows (loudly! I hear him from my bedroom) they try to come near him. He's also unneutered and I don't know if he's coming by because our kittens are un-spayed but I really don't want him nearby our kittens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yania

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oreo is usually aggressive with my other kitten Nugget and she for some reason isn't aggressive with this stranger tomcat coming into her territory! I don't know how to stop their curiosity of him, maybe he's their father? I have no idea.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If there are any rescue groups near you they may come out and TNR him, and any other strays they can catch.

10 weeks is too young to be going into heat so it's unlikely he's hanging around because of that so it's more likely he's just curious. You need to get them spayed ASAP though, otherwise they WILL escape at some point and will almost assuredly come back pregnant. They're around the age where they can be safely spayed, provided they are at least 2 LB weight. Rescue groups sometimes do low cost spay/neuter so it would be a good idea to look into that to save yourself some money on it.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I agree with looking for groups to help get the tom cat TNRed and also to help with spaying your kittens when the time comes. He may be curious about the kittens; I have had unneutered males react to small female kittens...they are not in heat but the male seems to know that they are unfixed females. He could be their dad and may recognize them but he is not coming around because he is trying to be a good father.