So Sad

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My husband and I decided to put our cat down. I will have to call the vet on Tuesday to discuss our options. I'm just sick about it and don't know how I'm going to get through the weekend without crying nonstop. My cat is very nasty at the vet. She hates the carrier, the ride, the vet, everything. She always has to be Sedated when she gets there because she hisses, spits, Tries tobite. Gabapentin does nothing to sedate her and it's a nightmare to even get her in the carrier. I don't want her last moments to be scary. I am going to ask if they do home visits which would be somewhat better I think. Not sure what to do. Do they give any meds by pill that would be stronger than Gabapentin prior that could knock her out so she isn't upset? Anyone who has experience with this with a cat like mine who gets nasty with the vet any suggestions would be helpful.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry you're having to go through this. You might ask if they can refer you to a mobile vet to do the euthanasia.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry you're having to go through this. You might ask if they can refer you to a mobile vet to do the euthanasia.
Last time my husband and I decided to treat her again one last time to see if it would help. At that time I had asked the vet tech about in home when she brought up euthanasia. I guess I will ask on Tuesday if they would do it and what the options for pre sedation are. I just want to make it as calm for her as possible. It's torture to have to wait until Tues to talk to someone.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You may also call a local ER vet clinic and see if they can refer you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You may also call a local ER vet clinic and see if they can refer you.
Thanks. It's not emergent but just the waiting you know is tough. The more time I have to think about it the more anxious and upset I get.