So, My Neighor's Kitten Was Invading My House

raphael lippi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There is a neighbor who lets their cat free roaming, and guess what, his roof connects to mine. The fence is pretty high, so there is no way my kitten can climb. but others can get inside. Neighbors aroud here were already complaining about invasive cats for a long time, but the owners simple don't care. Many cats have died for wondering around the neighborhood. I have already warned the owner about it, but she doesn't seem to care too much (she said she already lost 3 cats...).

One day my mother get so scared of a kitten (she doesn't like cats, but acepts mine only) who entered her bedroom. I grabed the kitten until someone would beat the hell out of it, puted it in a carrier to give it back to the owner. Owner didn't answer. I was pretty mad and upset about the poor baby roaming outside, so I gave it a temporary home at a friend's house( I can't have any more cats, due to family rules). The time passed and the owner didn't even search for it, didn't even ask me anything. My friend ended up starying witht the cat( she is a much better owner and actualy cares to keep her cats inside). The kitten had no identification, and I wouldn't know it was a neighbor's cat if I didn't know them. So legaly, I didn't do anything wrong.

What would you guys do in a situtation like this? I tried calling the animal control, but it deosn't seem to have one around here. Honestly I wanted to just sue the owner.

I need something unexpensive to keep cats away from my roof.

The left side is my house. The taller roof on the right is from the neighbor where the cats come from.

Last edited:

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am not sure where you live, but I do know there are several animal repelling devices that use motion sensors and water, so when the cat ends up on your roof, the spray moves and scares it away. People use them outside their houses to keep neighbors' cats from coming up on their porches and spraying or getting their own cats upset through the windows. If you have access to Amazon you cold probably order one. Do a google search for "animal repellant" -- there is one called scarecrow also.

Since you care about the welfare of the kittens, and the owner doesn't care, perhaps you could continue to relocate these kittens to good homes, like your friend's home was.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

raphael lippi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wanted an unexpensive option, but it seems I don't have a choice. I puted bottles full of water to prevent them from jumping on the fence( you can see one coke bottle in the picture), but that doesn't prevent them from coming from their higher roof. I did catch the second kitten in my house, but I don't have anyone to adoppt. I gave the second kitten back, the owner looked shocked, but didn't take any atitude yet. They still wander around here. Honestly some people can't have animals.

raphael lippi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I returned because I had no choice. What would I do, abandon it on the streets? It's no easy to find free animal shelter around here. Unless I find someone to adopt, I am not getting the cat again.

BTW, I just found a strange poop on my garden, is a exact spot, nect day, same spot. I have lemon and orange trees just near. It's not from my dog, it's diferent. The only animal I have see around here recently is one gringer cat from the same neighbor. Some people are not just terrible pet owners, they are terrible neighbors in general. Huh, and I actualy like that gringer cat, what to do...

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Could you adopt it yourself?

raphael lippi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Could you adopt it yourself?
Sadly, my family won't acept any more cats, not even a temorary home. i can't get the cat and give it to adoption, beucase I can't keep it with me.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually cat crap can cause problems if you have veggies or herbs. Toxoplasmosis can be transmitted to the soil and contaminate food.

Also can be an issue if you have children who may accidentally eat the soil or come in contact with it.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Because cats only shed the organism for a few days in their entire life, the chance of human exposure is relatively small. It is unlikely that you would be exposed to the parasite by touching an infected cat, because cats usually do not carry the parasite on their fur. It is also unlikely that you can become infected through cat bites or scratches. In the United States, people are much more likely to become infected through eating raw meat and unwashed fruits and vegetables than from handling cat feces. Wash any fruits and vegetables you pick and you will be just fine.

Last edited:

plink

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sad when neighbors are too close!
Some people have used a low voltage electric fence with success. Not sure if that's available where you are? More humane than Caco de vidro (broken-glass topped security fence used in Brazil), it would scare without injury.
Have you ever used (Promone E), a female cat/dog injectable birth control available in Brazil? That's what we used, vet was too far and too expensive. Dosed by animal weight, lasts 3-6months I believe. Too bad you couldn't give it to the neighbors cat, would have less kitten problems, less expense, and maybe mama cat wouldn't visit so soon!