So my cat gave birth.

rina77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One of the kittens, has its legs turned backwards. Is this normal? Will it heal on its own or should I take her to the vets? And since she’s obviously just been born at what stage should I take her to the vets? Thank you!

HeyKat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No, it's definitely not normal and it won't heal on its own. You should call your vet and ask when to bring the kitten in. If you can, try to find a vet who has experience with neonatal kittens.

It's unlikely the vet will be able to fix the issue while the kitten is so small, so they may tell you to wait before bringing it in. But they may want to check if there's blood flow in the leg/other issues, so it's best to call the vet and ask.

Best of luck! Thank you for looking after the little one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rina77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No, it's definitely not normal and it won't heal on its own. You should call your vet and ask when to bring the kitten in. If you can, try to find a vet who has experience with neonatal kittens.

It's unlikely the vet will be able to fix the issue while the kitten is so small, so they may tell you to wait before bringing it in. But they may want to check if there's blood flow in the leg/other issues, so it's best to call the vet and ask.

Best of luck! Thank you for looking after the little one.
Thank you so much for replying. I’ll take him to the vets. (:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
One of the kittens, has its legs turned backwards. Is this normal? Will it heal on its own or should I take her to the vets? And since she’s obviously just been born at what stage should I take her to the vets? Thank you!
I agree, this is not normal. Good you noticed it immediately.

That said, sometimes such problems may be corrected... Perhaps by massage several times every day, perhaps by putting the kitten in a plaster... Both these threatments should be done when the kitten is still young, when the tissues and tendons are still soft...

And if nothing can be done, the question will arise: if the kitten isnt suffering from the condintion and can live on with it; somewhat debilitated but doing OK as an inside only cat

Or if it suffers.... And if so...

So, in all variations, find a good vet, used with such ortopedic issues with small kittens, and have a good consultation.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Please post a picture, but this can usually be corrected fairly easily over time, ESPECiALLY while the kitten is young.

This generally occurs when a kitten is squished among other kittens in a tight space. It is called contracted tendons. Instead of the legs being in proper position, the kitten gets squished into an unusual position in the uterus, resulting in front or back legs and paws being turned.

It is best treated while the kitten is young and the tendons are still quite malleable. You’ll want to begin splinting and taping the legs (after warming up with gentle massage) for an hour or two each day. You can extend the time as the kitten adjusts, and you should start right away. Do not wait.

Over time — the first months — the kittens legs should return to normal after they have been splinted and taped and grown strong in the proper position. The kitten should then lead a normal life like the others.

This is sometimes called “swimmer’s legs” and again, is due to the tendons becoming tight or twisted in the womb. It is successfully revertible, and a vet will tell you this same information IF they are familiar with the situation.

Here are links to help. Follow the protocol and keep us posted. Remember, initially, the splinting and taping is for short periods and grows longer over time. It’s never for 24 hours at a time.

Caring For A Kitten Born With A Twisted Leg

Contracted Tendons of the Front Legs: Twister's Story

(You may ignore the donation part of these links.)

Best of luck and keep us posted!

rina77 rina77

Last edited:

rina77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Any idea on what this could be? And is it harmful? Earl is feeding from his mother properly and nothing seems to be out of the blue besides that.

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have no idea what it might be, but if it were to be something of a bacterial/fungal nature, it could be spread to any other kittens who are also feeding from mama. I would have a vet look at it. At a minimum, you could try to get a bit clearer pic and send it to your vet for their opinion. I wouldn't want to let it get worse, especially not on a young kitten.

rina77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have no idea what it might be, but if it were to be something of a bacterial/fungal nature, it could be spread to any other kittens who are also feeding from mama. I would have a vet look at it. At a minimum, you could try to get a bit clearer pic and send it to your vet for their opinion. I wouldn't want to let it get worse, especially not on a young kitten.
Hey! Spoke to the vet over the phone. They said it’s just a blister and that he’ll be all good as long as I keep it clean for him. Thank you for your input. 🫶

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hey! Spoke to the vet over the phone. They said it’s just a blister and that he’ll be all good as long as I keep it clean for him. Thank you for your input. 🫶
Tx for telling us the vets response!

You are welcome to getting us a later report; and of course, if you have any new questions...