So many questions

jeannem

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Suki may have thrown up this morning. Hubby found a wet undigested kibble pile in the room where we dress.
Also how do you keep a cat out of a cabinet when you are putting away dishes?
I am keeping the litter box very clean.
I don't want to give Suki an entire 5 oz. can of food. We are thinking of covering the rest with plastic wrap and storing in the fidge. Does cat food stink up?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is the cat in cabinet related to her throwing up?

Undigested kibble vomit is usually the kitty in question ate too fast. It becomes more a question of how to slow down a speedy eater. Ping pong or foil bowls in the food bowl to force the cat to eat around is the cheapest option. You can also feed several smaller meals or buy a commercial slow feeder. A one off undigested kibble occurrence or even a few times a month, usually isn't a cause for big concer. Take steps to slow down eating or feed smaller meals and the problem usually self resolves.

Wet cat food will smell, but usually you can smell it when you open the can. The benefits of a wet diet outweighs the smell though. My cats usually don't eat more then 2 ounces of wet at a time. The full 5 oz can might be too much in one sitting, and cats really do better with 3-5 small meals in a day. You can put leftovers in the fridge and warm slightly by putting the can into a bowl of warm water before serving (or putting in the microwave for a few seconds, and I mean a few). Always stir and temperature check a food you warm up before serving so you dont burn your cats mouths (they aren’t stupid but they don't expect food to be hot enough to burn them so they just eat). Although some cats will eat cold wet food.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I have lids that fit on the cans, you can buy them at most any pet store, as well as places like Walmart - even some grocery stores. I do not have any type of smell in my refrigerator because of it.

As far as keeping Suki out of the cabinets while you are putting dishes away, close the cabinet door in between re-stocking the items. Suki is also the one who you are trying to find a way to keep her off the stove, yes? I think you are going to have to bite the bullet on this one, and repeatedly take her off the stove and out of cabinets should she get on/in either, while saying "no" each time. If that means 100 times a day, that is what it means. Eventually, when you see her ready to jump, you will be able to say "no" and she will know what you mean. Over the long haul, she will get the 'hint', but you have to have the patience to be consistent. This should also apply to your countertops as well. She isn't going to be able to decipher the difference between being allowed on the countertops but not being allowed on the stovetop.

If she is allowed out and about while you sleep, or you just don't plan on being in the kitchen at points in time of the day, you will have to place deterrents on the stove to help detract her from wanting to be on it. Aluminum foil will work with some cats. You could even place a wire netting, similar to chicken wire on top, as most cats don't like the feel of it under their paws. I think you were given an article in your other thread about the types of things that can be used to deter a cat from getting on top of these places. You can test any of these tactics to see if any one of them might work to deter her. I have also heard of using citrus smells as deterrents - jars/dishes filled with cotton balls soaked in a citrus oil with a lid made of netting (think of an old pair of panty hose, or similar item) so the cat can't actually get to the cotton balls. Again, the key to any deterrent is to test it to see if it will work.

Btw, any reason you brought up the litter box?