So many questions - but how can I entertain a feral kitten?

niki-nicole

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think I saw in a Jackson Galaxy video that some cats don't know how to play at first and that random movements don't interest them. He recommends something with predictable movements like one of those machines that swing a string or feather around in a circle or looks like a mouse moving under a rug. Those kinds of teach them to play and then they will get bored with that and be more receptive to wands and other toys.

niki-nicole

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also, forgot to mention, there are dehydrated/freeze-dried shrimp treats for cats that might be good for pumpkin. Also the weruva has some great types of food for cats that have big chunks of fish in them. My cats love a lot of the flavors.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

anticus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Niki-Nicole! Thank you for your input! I'll hunt down that Galaxy video but your thoughts are encouraging. I have some shrimp-flavored treats for her - and I found a brand of canned, wet food that has chunks of real fish and shrimp in it. Pumpkin LOVES it!

However she is not interested in the wand toy, or any toy. Is it likely that she is only interested in mating now since she's in estrus? And maybe depressed because her mate is confined to another room? She looks terribly bored and is chirping and whining.

Last edited:

anticus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Today has been difficult already and it's not even 8am. Pumpkin has been hiding. She nursed and groomed her kittens this morning, then went to the door she used to come in and began crying and clawing at it. She lets them do their thing in the playpen and isn't really paying attention to them. Do you think this is heat related or that she wants to escape from taking care of her kittens? Or something else?

anticus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay - here is an out of left field question: Why is Pumpkin doing this? She will get my attention with vocalization, I will lay on the floor next to her and give her some pets (or sometimes don't - I just talk to her), she will stand up, head bunt me, then move to the other side of me. This has happened a dozen or so times and I don't get it.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She is just being affectionate. Giving you a love bump then moving on. Kind of like giving a dog a pat on the head on your way to the kitchen. She’s also in heat, and between that and her kittens, she’s less in the mood for interaction with you right now. She’s got enough stimulation on her plate!

anticus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That is good to know! I really thought she would be out of heat by now. It's the 8th day (that I am aware of).

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Heat cycles last about a week and can occur about every 2 weeks. I was lucky that my cat did not go into heat until 7 weeks after giving birth, and then I had her spayed. You may have to go through one more heat cycle with her before she is spayed. It’s normal to spay mom when the kittens are 8 weeks old.

anticus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have her appointment set at 8 weeks. I am hoping that by her next cycle Midnight will be permanently closed for business.

anticus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This may seem trivial, but my wife clipped Pumpkin's nails today. A few had curled under and were catching on the carpet, scratchers, the couch. She was constantly getting caught on something and often had a difficult time getting free. I guess she was so fed up that she let Dr. Wifey clip them. I expected a fight - but nope. It's amazing that a cat who spent the night in the house for the first time 6-7 weeks ago allowed this to happen. She is a good girl. She got treats.

anticus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Pumpkin was sick this morning. Twice vomited an enormous volume. Her breathing was labored and she didn't eat. I felt like she was telling me that she didn't feel well. So we took her to the vet - for the first time. It was heartbreaking to listen to her sad meows. I feel terrible. The kittens, who we also took at the vet's request, were great! A little unsettled during the trip but once we stopped it was all good. I guess the ginger boy told them there was nothing to be afraid of.

I worry that this has been a terrible breach of trust - that we have undone months of work gaining her trust. That makes me feel worst of all.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What did the vet say / do about her condition? How is Pumpkin this afternoon?

anticus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We just brought her home. She had an infection in her ladyparts. She was treated and vaccinated (and her nails trimmed) and is convalescing. The vet said keep her separated from the kittens for a few days and wean the kittens immediately. Litter box training too. She is going out of her mind that she can't be with the kittens. They're asleep.

We don't know how to do this. I don't know how to keep them apart. I can't find a straight answer about how much solid (wet) food to feed the 4 week old kittens. They bypassed the kitten milk replacement and went straight for the good stuff. I know to feed them every 3-4 hours. I don't know how to prevent Pumpkin from wanting to nurse them, which she feels she must do.

Pumpkin has been very needy and loving since her return. The vet said she was a terrific patient and couldn't believe that she was feral 2 months ago. She headbutted me and nuzzled a lot while I told her I love her, then I laid down in a pile of my clothes and she laid next to me with our heads touching and she drifted off. I love this girl so much.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What antibiotic is she on? I see no reason to keep the kittens from her. She’ll fill up with milk and be miserable! It’s good the kittens are starting on wet food but they still need to nurse. I just shake my head at these vets who don’t know better. What little antibiotics get into her milk will not harm the kittens.

anticus anticus

Last edited:

anticus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't think it is the antibiotic the vet is worried about - it's the infection. It was a bad infection. They said her milk was already starting to dry up.

Last edited:

anticus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Exactly - but until then it is tough goings. The infection spread to her stomach. I am ashamed that I didn't know until now. Midnight is pretty clear of his wants when he's vocal, but she never learned to talk and has a limited amount of noises.

Midnight, by the way, is helping a lot (when he is not yowling to go outside). He grooms them, plays with them, and taught one how to eat wet food. He pushed her with his nose toward the dish to watch him eat and then she started to! He is a remarkable creature. Also very much a jerk, but I love him and he's magnificent.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What vaginal infection does Punpkin have that has spread to her stomach? Is it fungal or bacterial? What is the name of this infection and what medications have been prescribed?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What name / diagnosis did the vet give? Vaginitis? Mastitis? Or something else?