So many questions - but how can I entertain a feral kitten?

2 dozen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for keeping the narrative going, I've read the whole thread today. Great job and good luck with the babies.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

anticus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Before she was comfortable with us and would run away when we opened the back door, and would rub against a tree or the house, we would say to her "If you would just let us give you pets you would enjoy them." Well, she does. She solicits butt scritches every time she sees me. I wish I had a photo of her face the first time she got them because it was amazing. She has the softest fur. Anyway, she wanted to go outside for a little while today because it was nice and I took this shot of her in the clover.
IMG_8398.JPG

2 dozen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Beautiful picture, should be your screensaver. I love orange cats, all mine have been male. She is truly adorable. I love how you embrace being a "cat person." My husband insists he is not one but a number of our cats think he is. He grudgingly admits to liking two or three and they run up to him when he enters a room, they love him.

koolimy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow, that truly is a beautiful picture! And the progress she made makes it seem like she was not even feral in the first place, LOL. Y'all are doing amazing!

anticus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't consider her orange. I think she is blonde. But I have no experience. That is my eyesight only.

2 dozen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh my gosh, she has made herself at home. She is more beige/blonde than orange, looking at more pics, a few I thought orange but I was wrong. Whatever color, she is precious.

anticus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree. She spends every night indoors now. Last night she joined both of us in bed (for a while). She was restless. I think she is still getting used to not having to be frightened of everything. This morning she climbed on me in bed to let me know I was late with her breakfast.

A new issue I am having is that she plays rough (ish). A medication I am on has thinned my blood a lot so every nick I become a plasma faucet. She doesn't know how to play with toys with me yet. I've purchased a bunch of stuff and she is uninterested. This may change after her pregnancy. She is only a week or so away from giving birth and I bet she can't wait. Although I am terrified.

After she has weened her kittens, we plan on taking her to the vet to be spayed, vaccinated, maybe de-clawed in front. She will still want to go outside I imagine, but I doubt she will get into too much trouble. And Midnight should be around to protect her, as always, and he has all of his claws.

2 dozen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Clearly you love her so much! If she goes outside you will make her defenseless if you declaw her. Many years ago I had to declaw some cats as the choice at the time was declaw or get rid of. I understand many vets refuse to do the procedure anymore so perhaps give her a few scratching posts made enticing with catnip. I really like these, some of the cats love lounging on them. When they wear out you can cut them and use the underside though my dear husband has not gotten around to doing so. Amazon.com : PetFusion Cat Scratcher Lounge - Walnut Brown, 1 Level (PF-CL1) : Pet Beds : Pet Supplies I always check Amazon warehouse for discounts first.

anticus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! We have bought her two scratching posts already and she is 100% uninterested. I just had a conversation with my wife about the de-clawing and concluded that maybe a filing would be best as well as finding a post that she likes.

I do love her so much. I am hoping Midnight will teach her how to not scratch. When I pet his chest and chin while he has flomped onto his back, he will gently hold onto my hand with his front paws. We have a pretty strong bond. While I was away, I picked up my phone a few times to text him only to realize he doesn't have a phone. I did record a short video for him that my wife said he watched 1 1/2 times (because it ended with me telling him to be a good boy and he wasn't interested in seeing that a second time).

anticus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I made a room for her today - well, the room was there already, but I birthified it. It's our utility/mud room that she enjoys investigating. I made a birthing box and made it all cozy (or what I believe she will find cozy). I put our cat carrier in there with the door open and a towel in it so she can get in there without us urging her to, so hopefully when it is time to take her to the vet she won't put up a fuss. We're going to get some cat furniture for it. It is really going to be HER room even after the birth.

She and I had some nice moments together today, but it is frustrating for me and I reckon confusing for her that when she wants to play, I recoil. I cannot have her scratch me. Even if she is not intentionally scratching she can get me pretty good. I tell her that I love her often, and slow blink at her, so I hope the message is sinking in that I am more than a food machine.

2 dozen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do you have a pair of gloves you can wear that are not too thick but that will protect you from scratches but thin enough that you can feel her? Also a long sleeve shirt to cover above the gloves.

anticus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I may have to go clothes shopping soon. However she wanted to go outside this morning (it's a lovely day) and has disappeared. It is way past lunch time and I"m worried. Midnight is asleep on my wife's reading chair and therefore not outside with her to protect her. She has never had to fight for herself. Our neighborhood is not a high traffic area but nearby is. She might just be asleep in some bushes somewhere but I feel sick. I've been having nightmares for weeks about her getting hurt or someone stealing her.

2 dozen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would not let her out, esp since she is so near to giving birth. I am one of those people who do not let their cats outside and I am the boss regardless of how much they complain. But I try not to be judgmental of people who feel differently than I. If she doesn't go out you won't have to be sick with worry about her. Hope she comes home soon.

anticus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, 2 dozen. She came back after 6 hours. I saw her laying in the yard and when I opened the door to call her she SPRINTED inside. She was hungry. Maybe it was a lesson learned for her. But I think that we are still in the trust-building stage where we will let her out if she wants out. She no longer panics when the doors are closed, she just sits patiently until we open them. Sometimes she decides she doesn't want to go out (when it is cold and/or raining), but she trusts that we will let her if she wants. I think that is important. I believe that it is crucial for her to know that we are taking care of her - that Midnight is not the only creature in the world that cares about her.

I think that not letting Pumpkin out would be cruel. She grew up outside and loves to lay under our laurel tree and watch the birds eat at their feeders. She has never wandered away alone before for this long.

Midnight is hurt. He doesn't use his right paw. He's currently sleeping on an ottoman but when he is ready to go I am going to try to pick him up and take him back to his people. There doesn't seem to be anything stuck in his paw (I'm no vet though) and if it was a break I suspect he would be screaming in pain. I hate when he is injured.

Pumpkin does not seem interested in her room. At all. There are toys and boxes and things to climb on and hide behind. I go just know we are going to spend $200 on a piece of cat furniture and she won't go near it.

Finally, here is a video of her daintily drinking water, because she is a lady.

Thirsty elegant Pumpkin

2 dozen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A lovely, elegant lady. Do you think it may be a good idea to keep her in till she gives birth so you know where the kittens are? Can't wait to see pictures of the babies! Shall we call you grandpa then?

anticus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
DO NOT call me Grandpa! :)

We are prepared for her to give birth outside but we have several indoor places for her as well. We really want to know where the kittens are. We have found 10 people who want her kittens, even though we know she will not have that many. So they will ALL go to great, loving homes.