So many brands of canned food at pet store!

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I could read ingredients on the side of the can all day long, but if they aren't going to eat it, it doesn't do me any good. That's why I was interested in seeing what premuium foods other cat owners have had success with. Yes I get it, some so-called premium foods aren't as good as others, but I'm betting all of them are better than Friskies or Fancy Feast, and in the end i just want my cat to eat. But not eat junk.
Actually I would disagree :) I would feed Friskies Pate and Fancy Feast Pate over a LOT of the canned foods that are available out there for 2-6x the cost! On my "won't feed" list are things like Blue Buffalo Healthy Gourmet, Royal Canin, Muse, Rachel Ray, Iams, Solid Gold, Science Diet, I and Love and You, Natural Balance, Halo.....

A lot of the "premium" brands have a bunch of vegetables and fruits in it, while Fancy Feast Pate as an example is grain free and all meat protein. Friskies does have grains but it is still free of a lot of the additives that apparently sound great to a human but our cats simply don't need.

Thank you, I didn't know that about Chewy's. I hate buying expensive canned food only to throw money down the drain because the cats won't touch it.
I have left a 3 star review on a product before, and had Chewy proactively give me a refund on it without me asking. They also refunded me about 6 cases of cat food after my Jasmine died because Lydia no longer would eat any of the foods she shared with Jasmine. This food was bought over 6 months before and I had definitely used some of it. They refunded me the entire order, told me to take the cans to a shelter (which I did!) and sent me flowers for Jasmine. I absolutely adore Chewy.

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cats like the cheap stuff, but I wouldn't call that being in luck. I would be in luck if they didn't like the cheap stuff and preferred the premium food. But they just turn their noses up at anything that isn't Fancy Feast.
My sister adopted an older cat who is quite small and very thin. Eating is not her favorite thing to do. My own cat is not a picky eater and gets a variety of pricier foods. Every food my cat eats we have tried on my sister's cat with no luck. I finally told her to give Fancy Feast a try, because many finicky cats seem to like it. Lo and behold, she will eat certain Fancy Feast flavors! She has even put on some weight. The best food in the world is useless if the cat won't eat it, so if Fancy Feast (or whatever) is what your cat will eat, Fancy Feast it should be.

KittyCat Angel

A lover of cats ❤
Young Cat
Purraise
But there are lots of "premium" foods that contain filler ingredients like potatoes and peas that aren't appropriate for cats.
I wonder about that. The expensive 'premium' foods often contain "pea protein" . I wonder why ?

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would also like to add that Fancy Feast must be doing something right if so many cats like it. It might not be human grade, but a friend's cat lived to almost 20 years on Fancy Feast.

Uncled

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My two cents is I feed pate style wet food to my cats, Friskies, Fancy Feast,and comparable store brands. I can not afford to feed the high end and if I could I don't see the value in them ,it is most important to me that they eat Wet food for all there meals for urinary health and for male cats like my two thats the bottom line!

Misty_Miffy_Moon

"What greater gift than the Love of a cat." --C.D.
Kitten
Purraise
Maybe see what ingredients the food your cat likes right now has in it and look at other foods with the same-ish things? Make sure there's nothing bad in the cat food for your cat, though.

My cat is not very picky at all. She'll eat bread if we let her. So I don't know much about this.