So many brands of canned food at pet store!

myfamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I like to give my cats quality canned food. But most of the time, the expensive canned food I buy for them goes to waste because they won't eat it. The only quality food they seem to like is Proplan. I get the Proplan pate. It has lots of gravy in it. I'm tired of experimenting with brands only to waste my money. Do you have any (quality food) brands that your cats like? There are so many different brands on the shelf. Maybe you have tried some of them, and your cats liked it?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I buy dr elseys chicken and Turkey only online that has a huge sale on chewy-hope it's still going on. You can ask companies online for samples

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If it would help you any to determine what you might want to try (and, then price out at your local stores and/or online), here is a chart with many, many different canned foods listed with their primary ingredients and their consistency (pate, shreds, cuts, morsels, etc.). You could rule out ones that contain things/textures that you already know your cats don't like and go from there!!

Check This Out.... Chart For Cat Food Ingredients

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Get used to reading the ingredients in each can. Personally I want the protein percent to be over 10% and moisture no higher 78-80%. Canned foods with gravy usually have moisture content in the low to mid 80’s so I don’t buy them. Protein and moisture can vary from flavor to flavor so I read them all.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get used to reading the ingredients in each can. Personally I want the protein percent to be over 10% and moisture no higher 78-80%. Canned foods with gravy usually have moisture content in the low to mid 80’s so I don’t buy them. Protein and moisture can vary from flavor to flavor so I read them all.
Yes, it's so important to read the ingredients! And then to check them periodically to see if they've changed, as they seem to do all too frequently. I just now discovered, for example, that Sheba pates no longer have byproducts... but they've added tapioca starch. (Personally, since I feed our cats a very low-carb diet, I'd rather feed the byproducts!)

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
The brand my cat likes the most are the Wellness smooth loafs, in particular the chicken. They are a pate but with a very fine consistency. If you add a tiny bit of water your cat could lap it up

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

myfamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have never read the ingredients on canned cat food. I really have let my cats down in that regard. They are 12 and 8 years old currently, and I've had them since kittens. I just try to buy "premium" cat food. But like I said, most of it they won't eat, except for Proplan. I've tried many different types.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
The values on a can of food shouldn’t be taken at face value. 10% protein on one can can mean something completely different than on another can, depending on the composition of the food and the amount of moisture. It’s a good idea to learn to read labels and calculate estimates of protein/fat/carb as a percentage of calories based on them.

Catinfo.org is a good place to start to learn more.

KittyCat Angel

A lover of cats ❤
Young Cat
Purraise
It may be luck but my cats like Purenia Friskies pate. Sometimes I cook fatty ground beef or chicken.

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Neko-chan loves Tiki cat after dark. It's shreds of meat in broth. She also likes Wellness core shreds in gravy. I'm going to be adding fancy feast pates to the rotation as our income drops a bit after Thanksgiving and she seems to like them.

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat reliably likes anything from Weruva. However, one cat's favorite is another cat's poison. If I were you I would just buy the 3 oz can of a variety of foods and see what your cats will eat. That way you will know what they like. (On that day!)

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I always read the ingredients. Some of the "premium" foods rely on you assuming that the higher cost and fancy name means it's better than a can half its cost...when really it isn't. Some of the "premium" food I would rather skip and feed Friskies!

I don't think any food is universally loved by all cats. My Lydia won't eat Friskies anymore, but also won't eat Rawz. She exists right in the middle somewhere between cheap and expensive lol. She only eats pates with very few exceptions.

Her favorites are American Journey, Tiny Tiger (both on Chewy, who will refund your money if your cat doesn't like ANY food they sell), Weruva, and Evangers. She'll also eat Dr. Elsey's, Tiki Cat Mousse, and Sheba. We just rotate between all of them to keep things interesting for her, and mix in extra water for more "gravy"

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always read the ingredients. Some of the "premium" foods rely on you assuming that the higher cost and fancy name means it's better than a can half its cost...when really it isn't. Some of the "premium" food I would rather skip and feed Friskies!
Exactly! Nobody should be paying premium prices for fillers like potato or peas, which aren't good for cats to begin with.

myfamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I don't think any food is universally loved by all cats. My Lydia won't eat Friskies anymore, but also won't eat Rawz. She exists right in the middle somewhere between cheap and expensive lol. She only eats pates with very few exceptions.

Her favorites are American Journey, Tiny Tiger (both on Chewy, who will refund your money if your cat doesn't like ANY food they sell), Weruva, and Evangers. She'll also eat Dr. Elsey's, Tiki Cat Mousse, and Sheba. We just rotate between all of them to keep things interesting for her, and mix in extra water for more "gravy"
Thank you, I didn't know that about Chewy's. I hate buying expensive canned food only to throw money down the drain because the cats won't touch it.

myfamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It may be luck but my cats like Purenia Friskies pate. Sometimes I cook fatty ground beef or chicken.
My cats like the cheap stuff, but I wouldn't call that being in luck. I would be in luck if they didn't like the cheap stuff and preferred the premium food. But they just turn their noses up at anything that isn't Fancy Feast.

myfamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The values on a can of food shouldn’t be taken at face value. 10% protein on one can can mean something completely different than on another can, depending on the composition of the food and the amount of moisture. It’s a good idea to learn to read labels and calculate estimates of protein/fat/carb as a percentage of calories based on them.

Catinfo.org is a good place to start to learn more.
I could read ingredients on the side of the can all day long, but if they aren't going to eat it, it doesn't do me any good. That's why I was interested in seeing what premuium foods other cat owners have had success with. Yes I get it, some so-called premium foods aren't as good as others, but I'm betting all of them are better than Friskies or Fancy Feast, and in the end i just want my cat to eat. But not eat junk.

myfamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The brand my cat likes the most are the Wellness smooth loafs, in particular the chicken. They are a pate but with a very fine consistency. If you add a tiny bit of water your cat could lap it up
Thank you, I will see if I can find that one.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats like the cheap stuff, but I wouldn't call that being in luck. I would be in luck if they didn't like the cheap stuff and preferred the premium food. But they just turn their noses up at anything that isn't Fancy Feast.
Fancy Feast Classics are very decent food, particularly for the price! I gladly feed those to our cats once a week. But there are lots of "premium" foods that contain filler ingredients like potatoes and peas that aren't appropriate for cats. I refuse to feed those. For one thing, one of our cats has a sensitivity to potato, which bothers her digestive system. Ziwipeak is a great example of a very expensive premium food that I'd never feed: chickpeas just don't belong in cat food. But yes, sure, I'll feed Fancy Feast Classics -- it don't have vegetable fillers.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Fancy Feast Classics are very decent food, particularly for the price! I gladly feed those to our cats once a week. But there are lots of "premium" foods that contain filler ingredients like potatoes and peas that aren't appropriate for cats. I refuse to feed those. For one thing, one of our cats has a sensitivity to potato, which bothers her digestive system. Ziwipeak is a great example of a very expensive premium food that I'd never feed: chickpeas just don't belong in cat food. But yes, sure, I'll feed Fancy Feast Classics -- it don't have vegetable fillers.
Ziwipeak was also very rude in their response to me when I told them that their food gave my cat diarrhea. They fought me on it and then when I got frustrated they offered to send me free samples of food but never did.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ziwipeak was also very rude in their response to me when I told them that their food gave my cat diarrhea. They fought me on it and then when I got frustrated they offered to send me free samples of food but never did.
Yikes! Did that food have chickpeas in it? Legumes can really affect the digestion.