SO mad! I am not a shelter!

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yesterday we had a woman come to our door here at home begging us to take in a cat. What the hell?!?!?! Apparently she had this stray hanging out in her yard and she couldn't take it in. She tried to get the pet stores to take her, but of course they didn't. That's when she told me that a man at a local pet store gave her our HOME ADDRESS and said that we take in cats!

We took the cat in, because the woman wasn't the brightest bulb. The kitty, a beautiful completely black very thin adult female, has obviously recently had kittens, and we TOLD the woman that, but she swore there were no kittens and she didn't want the cat hanging around anymore. We told the woman that we were only doing this FOR THE CAT and NOT to tell people to bring cats to our home as we foster THROUGH the shelter.

After she left, we went RIGHT to said pet store to find out what was going on. The employees said the man who gave her our information was a customer, a big, tough looking man with a teenaged daughter. For the life of us we can't think of anyone fitting that description, especially someone with our home address. We told everyone we could think of and told them all to pass on that this is not to happen again. We really feel like we're being taken advantage of!

On that note, the little girl is so loving and sweet, so thankful to be cared for. She was STARVING and inhaled food as soon as it was put down for her. She looks to be in good health otherwise and I'm going to be contacting the shelter so they can do paperwork up for her, so she'll be adopted through them, but be fostered by us. We named her "Surprise"!

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How much you wanna bet that the woman "sold" the kittens and then dumped mama on you!

Good for you for standing up for yourself... but that is very weird that this person had your home address. I wonder if the store gave it out or the shelter?????

Post pics when you can and lots of and
for Surprise!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How very frustrating! However, I'm glad you didn't turn the kitty away. I'm sure she'll flourish under your love and attention. I'm glad she'll also end up with a loving forever home through the shelter.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Could the person who gave out your address been someone who has been to your house to look at some of your fosters? That's the only thing that makes any sense to me? So he might have legitimately thought that you "take in cats". Whatever, it's got to have been very annoying.

At least she's a sweet cat. Love her name...very appropriate!

Anxious to see pix!

elayman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrsgreenjeens

Could the person who gave out your address been someone who has been to your house to look at some of your fosters? That's the only thing that makes any sense to me? So he might have legitimately thought that you "take in cats". Whatever, it's got to have been very annoying.
That would also be my assumption. At least as to how it got in the public domain. But a certain amount of confusion re: the nature of the system is inevitable. Without soliciting for anything obviously, I've had strays taken by contacts directly into a privately run "rescue" organization/home (or was it through a foster network situation, with or without a physical building, etc. etc. ???)

Sorry I don't have any suggestions on preventing harassment. At least this time no one's physical well being was threatened.
And it worked out to be a life saver for the cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrsgreenjeens

We thought of that but no one fit the description. We're PRETTY sure it is the a friend of my aunt's boyfriend. We took in a kitten for this friend of my aunt, and they used to live here, so he knows the address. My aunt confronted him, and he denies it, but all of the clues point to him.

trimph1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
huh. where we be we have about 4 farms around us that are currently housing about 20 cats between them
--we have 3 hhere ourselves that we are taking care of.
The thing here is that we are seeing people coming from who knows where and dumping their cats--not at our doorstep but IN our drainage ditches, culverts, and who knows what all else besides---in bduck taped bags, thrown out of cars--we caught two doing that and
---growl!!!

The 3 we are currently looking after are sweeties--one is a siamese kitteh we named Horse--as in healthy as a -------. The other is a black long haired fellow we named Nostradamos and the other is a ginger we named Cutiepie because--well--she is a cutiepie!

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
People used to do that to me in Bosnia. It got so that when any friends or colleagues arrived at the airport and gave my address, the taxi drivers would say 'machke!' (Cats). Wellington and his brother Napoleon were dumped on my doorstep.

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well here we go again. I get to work this morning to a coworker saying "I wanted to ask you something.". I said "If it involves taking in more cats, the answer is NO!". Well of course it was
Apparently a friend of her's is irresponsible and has a pregnant mother she is trying to "get rid of".
I am so incredibly jaded with people right now. I guess the shelter turned her down, but I just felt like saying to this coworker, "YOU take her!". I mean really! Why should I have to constantly clean up other people's messes because they REFUSE to do the right thing? I wish more than anything that I could help them all and it breaks my heart when I have to say no. I am tired of being taken advantage...
If a week goes by without someone trying to pawn a cat off on me, I am literally shocked!

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately they will keep doing it again and again because its so easy to 'get rid of them'

I spoke to a couple about fostering yesterday, started out so well, they were complaining about BYBs who sell puppies to a local pet store (there is a parvo outbreak there and its news around here) but then they tell me that they have given away THREE litters of puppies from their unspayed Husky and two times were planned! But they don't see themselves as BYBs because 'its natural for her to be pregnant' and 'we don't sell them, we give them to friends'

Drives me insane

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I really feel for you and can relate to what you're going through. The past month has been especially crazy. I've been approached by friends, co-workers and even my boss about taking cats for them or people they know. To my boss' credit she did end up helping the stray cat in question on her own. I even had one woman who was helping feed my feral colony hang up on me when I couldn't take a stray cat she rescued. I'm always happy to give people advice, but they don't seem to understand there are limits to what I can do. It's heartbreaking to turn cats away, but I've seen too many people involved in rescue get in over their heads because they can't say no. I can't let that happen.

Anyway, thanks for all you do. I admire the compassion and courage that it takes to do it!

trixshar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This strikes a chord, as that is how I acquired my latest indoor cat. I had adopted a darling little charcoal feral as an indoor-outdoor cat, but he disapeared, probably run off by my pushy little indoor-outdoor "Buddy." I had searched & called for him for days, when the neighbors in back told me they may have my Sooty, who was about 8 months old at the time. What they had was a little tabby that looked 8-12 weeks old, with white crusts on its eyes. They begged me to take it in, claiming their son was allergic, and a major thunderstorm was predicted for that night. With great reluctance, I took in the unprepossing kitten, to find out from the vet that it was large, but only about 5 weeks. On to the nursing bottles, and after losing Sooty, I felt I had to integrate this cat with the inside mob.
Well, Miele did give us a laugh, as the vet who treated the eye problem assured me it was a female. I brought Miele to be spayed at 4 months, and at the pick-up, I learned what the vet learned - Miele is a guy.
So now he spends his days harassing the older cats and trying to get on my lap, where he kneads & nurses my clothes to soaking.

But his feral mother, (also Sooty's mother,) was pregnant again lately, so I expect there will be more kittens roaming around soon. TNR is my hope for her.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My husband and I went to an office supply store which will remain nameless. I had on a t-shirt from one of the s/n groups I work with. The cashier saw it and demanded that I help her with a pregnant stray. I told her we'd be happy to help spay her and the lady said "She's not my cat!"

I asked if she was feeding her and she harrumped and said "Of course." In our county, that means you own the cat. I told her that and she said "So you're not going to take her?" I said no and again said we could help her. Then the emotional blackmail started - she's outside, someone's going to poison her, she'll get hit by a car, etc.

By this time, she'd bagged my stuff. Then she quite literally threw them on the floor. My husband picked the bags up and left (which was just as well). I told the lady if she needed help, she could go to the website.

Even though I felt badly for the cat, I'm limited with what I can do emotionally, space-wise and financially. But I will not help people who want simply to dump their problem on me.

My husband still thinks I should have talked to the manager ...

bellaandme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
See how people are? Bless you for saving this baby--but people are mistaking your kindness for weakness!!! I'm glad you are standing up for your convictions that people should take responsibility!!!! I know it must break your heart and that you would never turn a cat away. I do have to say that I'm glad they aren't just tossing these cats out with the trash. You have a wonderful reputation as a kitty saver, but enough is enough.

trimph1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
AAARRRRAAAAAGGGHH!!!

This morning while i was out doing some early morning walking around I heard some mewling cries coming from our drainage ditch culvert--you guessed it--some "nice"--GRRR--"person/object" had dumped a few kittens in a cloth bag and stuffed them into our small culvert. We actually ad some rain last night an so our ditch was plugged by the cloth bag with the kittens in them--thankfully non were in bad shape for what they went through.

would really like to know who does these sorts of things---

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by trimph1

AAARRRRAAAAAGGGHH!!!

This morning while i was out doing some early morning walking around I heard some mewling cries coming from our drainage ditch culvert--you guessed it--some "nice"--GRRR--"person/object" had dumped a few kittens in a cloth bag and stuffed them into our small culvert. We actually ad some rain last night an so our ditch was plugged by the cloth bag with the kittens in them--thankfully non were in bad shape for what they went through.

would really like to know who does these sorts of things---
I am with you on that... like to do that Biblical eye for an eye thing.... Grrrrr

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ive seen this thread pop up a few times and have avoided it like the plague...until now.

I am so heartbroken and mad and upset and people right now I want to scream. Yesterday we found a little tiny malnurioshed tabby wandering around the farm. WHY WHY WHY do people feel that because we live on a farm we automatically are a drop off zone for cats. My house is nuts enough as it is and Im at my limits I just cant take in another cat and it breaks my heart because Im maxed out. I have been calling her sissy girl and while BF is adament we cant take her in as soon as we get the bills straightened out from the new car insurance and cell phone bill that as soon as we can we will take her to get spayed and her shots and we will keep feeding her. She wont come up to the house because of Max but she is down in the big barn where the other cats hang out and get fed.

Im seriously thinking of posting a huge banner between the two barns stating that if you have the hooties to drop off a cat or kittens have the hooties to knock on my door and give them to me in person. I dont mind feeding them but worrying about being able to afford to s/n all these cats let alone worrying about the ones I cant even get near has my stress level thru the roof because I cant stop thinking about them everytime I look out a window or go outside. The first chance I get to catch one of these jerks dropping off a cat Im going to seriously lay into them so heavenly bad they will wish they werent the scum of the earth.

UGHHHHH stupid irresponsible rotten evil vile disgusting people I really do hate them for what they do to these poor innocent cats.

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awww, guys, I am so sorry that you are going through this as well.
I am so incredibly thankful that we can all vent together though. I would seriously love to SLAP some people.

I was at the shelter today and these was this woman there. My friend at the shelter said that this woman keeps adopting kittens and "exchanging" them for different, stupid reasons. Her visit today was her 3rd return.
WHY?!?! How can people be so STUPID?!?

Also while I was there (for all of 30 minutes) I heard 5 different calls from people wanting to surrender cats, and my friend telling them they were not accepting any more cats as they are completely full. HEART BREAKING!

trimph1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
YIPPPPEEEEEEE!!! All the little kittehs are A-OK!!

I even found a couple of forever homes for 3 of them--two are staying with us---they are so cute!!

I have to resize some of the pix I took of them before they show up here---they are waaaayyy too big

jazzythecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kailie

Awww, guys, I am so sorry that you are going through this as well.
I am so incredibly thankful that we can all vent together though. I would seriously love to SLAP some people.

I was at the shelter today and these was this woman there. My friend at the shelter said that this woman keeps adopting kittens and "exchanging" them for different, stupid reasons. Her visit today was her 3rd return.
WHY?!?! How can people be so STUPID?!?

Also while I was there (for all of 30 minutes) I heard 5 different calls from people wanting to surrender cats, and my friend telling them they were not accepting any more cats as they are completely full. HEART BREAKING!
That woman is terrible! How can she do things like that!? Exchanging cats for other cats? WHY DOES SHE DO THIS? I'm very glad that you have helped that kitty. How can people be so cruel and stupid, who would exchange poor cats once they had been getting used to their new owners? I'm just so angered and sad at this lady and other people. It was her third return, that is just CRAZY. How can people do this, it's just terrible! Hopefully one day people will be better.

Jackz, Jazzy & Ginga.