So is my cat pregnant ?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ky_x33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Another update so I layed my hand on her tummy and felt something scraping inside her also her stomach seems to making these weird noises like as if it filled with fluids and something is moving in it I was also able to make out the body of one kitten when she stretched the thing is she still dose not look pregnant

Ky_x33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She may have a small litter.
So it’s normal the sounds her stomach is making ? I wish this form was able to post videos because I’m convinced she’s for sure pregnant now and how far till the kittens come based off of me now seeing movement

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
To post a video you upload it to YouTube, then copy and paste the link here. She may be several weeks away yet if she is pregnant.

Ky_x33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
To post a video you upload it to YouTube, then copy and paste the link here. She may be several weeks away yet if she is pregnant.
Here’s the vid I don’t know if it’s good enough but looks like a kitten moving to me she’s been laying in weird places no like she likes to lay near the trash bags or on my side of the bed to be specific when she used to lay on the end of me and my boyfriends feet she also won’t except the birthing box I made her and since my room is so small o don’t know what else to do I can’t leave her in another room cause I’m scared the kids will stress her out

Ky_x33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I posted about my pregnant cat who I was curious if she was pregnant turns out she was so she gave birth two hours ago and everything went south she left the kitten didn’t eat the placenta I had to clean it and tie off the placenta to cut the umbilical cord she ran and hid I think because of the other cats I have I had to get them all out the room get her in a large crate we have for her try to get the kitten to latch and now I finally think everything’s ok she just ate the placenta after having the kitten hours ago and the kitten is latched to one nipple I’m assuming it has milk if it’s latched right ? Need help and she also only had one kitten witch was the only one I could feel and see moving for her first litter this is normal right ?

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a little sweetheart! As long as the kitten is nursing it should be OK, the only sure way to know is to get a scale (such as a food scale) that weighs in fractions of ounces/grams and weigh daily to make sure it is gaining weight. It is white so is almost sure to look like mama! It is good mama ate the placenta, it is full of what she needs right now. It is vital to keep her calm and happy so she bonds with the kitten. Try to keep the other cats away, she may even attack them if they come too close. It's also not unusual for a first time mama to panic and leave like she did. Cats in the wild and on the streets often lose their first litters, thank God she had you to help her, that kitten would have died. It is unusual for cats to have just one kitten, so watch her for distress, such as pacing and crying. First litters usually are small though, most often two to three. Observe mama close for the next few days to make sure there are no kittens still inside of her, watch for any discharge. Just watch them closely now to make sure the kitten is nursing, and make sure mama gets kitten food, which is higher in nutrition and calories, and lots of water. You did good! Please keep us posted!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There might be more; sometimes they have a break of a day or so. But having one kitten in the litter isn't unheard of either.

I've heard that it can be hard to keep the mother's attention on one baby, so you might have to keep a closer eye on them. Do you have a kitchen/postage scale? That's the best way to keep track of how the baby is doing.

Ky_x33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There might be more; sometimes they have a break of a day or so. But having one kitten in the litter isn't unheard of either.

I've heard that it can be hard to keep the mother's attention on one baby, so you might have to keep a closer eye on them. Do you have a kitchen/postage scale? That's the best way to keep track of how the baby is doing.
I have a scale but it is to small for the whole kitten go on so I’m going to buy a new one tomorrow but the kitten seems to but stuck on only two certain nipples so I’m assuming those are the good ones it’s a girl she Dose not really cry much though and mama left the cage today and just ate a lil and layer on the floor is that normal I played kittens crying on YouTube and she bolted to the cage so that’s a good sign right ?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It’s okay if mom takes short breaks. She needs them.

Do you have a heating pad set on low under a blanket in the nest to keep the kitten warm when mom takes a break?

Ky_x33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It’s okay if mom takes short breaks. She needs them.

Do you have a heating pad set on low under a blanket in the nest to keep the kitten warm when mom takes a break?
No I don’t should get one I was planing on putting a few Blakets I’n the carrier

Ky_x33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update so she has milk coming in I called my vet and he told me to gently squeeze her nipple and behold some liquid came out I have a scale but the baby is to big to fit on it

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like her milk production is good. Yes, a heating pad under the blanket set on low is best. Kittens cannot maintain their own body temperature for 3 weeks. They need an actual heat source.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For the scale, can you put the kitten in a bowl, and set the bowl on the scale (and of course subtract the weight of the bowl afterward)? That's usually how those small scales are used.

Ky_x33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Another update babies still
Moving and here she keeps moving it though at first I was concerned cause we had it in a carrier and she kept leaving it for around 2O mins at a time I think she didn’t like where we had her so she took it and went under the bed now she moved again to my dresser drawer not to sure if it’s big enough for both of them though but since she’s moved it I haven’t seen her out and about here

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
I would block the space under your bed or any other space she may be able to take the kitten that you wouldn’t be able to easily access to monitor the kitten (like if the dresser has feet and is up off the ground, you would want to block that too). Most beds can usually be easily taken off the bed frame and flat on the floor to do this, otherwise, you may need to duct tape cardboard around he edges or something similar to that.

Did you get a heating pad? I would very strongly suggest getting one. Heat is very important for kittens, but especially an only kitten who doesn’t have siblings she could cuddle up to when Mom is away. Try to get a heating pad specifically meant for pets, as the ones made for humans have more of a tendency to get too hot for babies. Also make sure that the kitten has an area to crawl too without the heating pad in case she gets uncomfortably warm.

And feed Momma a lot more than normal! Don’t just switch her food for kitten food, you should also feed her 2-3 times what she normally eats right now!