So Incredibly Stubborn!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope so. All this makes me wish I had got her when she was 8 weeks old because then I could have been implementing healthy habits and good behaviour from the start. But the breeder admitted that she had lots of dogs to take care of and couldn't train each individual pup.

So, she was basically doing whatever she wanted for 4 months before I brought her home.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it possible for a pet to make someone with a compromised immune system sick?

Prior to getting my dog, I haven't been sick in years. And when I did get sick, the illness went away very quickly. Ever since I got her, like within the week, I got a cold. Then again shortly after... and then again... and again. And now for the 5th time in the span of only 5 months I am sick yet again.

She is a very dirty dog and I try to keep everything clean and disinfected but I can't keep up with her. She eats her poop and has now developed a habit of holding it so that she can eat it in her crate. Then, when he let her out, she'll only poop a little and eat it immediately. Even when I go outside with her on leash, she fights me to eat her poop. She's messed up the entire backyard with it and sometimes I can't clean everything. So, often times, she ends up stepping in it and tracking poop through the house on her paws. I've had to whip things down with bleach and wash my clothing more often than normal. I also wash my hands religiously but I'm still getting sick. Whenever she licks my hands, I always break out in hives. And whenever she scratches me, my skin swells up.

Should I be worried about this?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can't get a cold without being exposed to the virus, so I wouldn't think you could get a cold from a dirty dog. If you got a stomach bug, I could see that, but not a respiratory illness. Unless you're allergic to dogs and that makes you more susceptible to colds. Kind of odd. Do you have regular contact with any kids who are in daycare or elementary school? Kids are germy little critters :D. And school started about 5 months ago.

Yeah, there are products you can use to discourage poop eating, but also it's occasionally caused by incomplete digestion, so sometimes trying another food can help.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
We've tried a lot of different types of foods but being a bulldog, her digestive system is very sensitive.

I am actually quite allergic to dogs. Much more than cats. However, it depends on the individual dog. Some, I have very severe reactions to and others, very mild. I always have an allergic reaction around dogs. My illnesses usually start in my sinuses - they are not respiratory.

I never come into contact with any children.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
It was suggested that I don't start cart pulling until Izellah is 2 years of age and fully developed (because of her joints and muscles) which makes sense.

I decided to try something different instead. I bought an attachment for my bike and a harness so that we can go out together. The bike attachment was on sale. Plus, I got a coupon so I didn't pay much for it.

I got my bike out from the basement and pumped the tires up. Vacuumed off the spider webs and dusted off the pet dander. She isn't afraid of it at all so we're off to a good start.
Screen Shot 2020-03-16 at 5.21.14 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-03-16 at 5.21.40 PM.png

Attachments

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
It was a disaster. She pulled my bike over and bent the metal from pulling so hard.

I couldn't even walk 10 feet. Obviously I know she'll need to be trained but she is so strong. Perhaps she is too strong to bike with. 😔 Which is disappointing because I don't know how else to work her.

I couldn't bend the spring back into place so I don't know if it's even still usable.
15846607780881844209786007397004.jpg

Last edited:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry you're having so much trouble with training Izellah. :hugs: I didn't look back in this thread but perhaps now might be a good time to call in a certified trainer. Check their references and be sure it's the right fit for both of you. You have been so patient and I know how hard you have tried to make this work. It's not impossible but just takes time. We're here for support and guidance.:alright:

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Today was so much better! 😁

I went out early this morning with my mom, Izellah, and my bike. We decided not to use the bike attachment and just allow her to get used to the movement and motion of the bike first. I told my mom to walk with her while I rode by bike around Izellah and close to her.

She got used to it enough that I could hold the leash. We started out with me just walking with the bike at first while holding onto her leash. Whenever she crossed over in front of me, I allowed the front wheel to tap her and said, "No!" (While also pulling her back). When she tried to cross underneath, I did the same thing. Eventually, she stopped. Then, I shortened the leash and started pedaling slowly. She watched me for direction and I said, "Let's go!" From there, we went down the street with her running beside me. We did this twice and then stopped because I didn't want to do too much at once. She got lots of praise which made her so happy she started doing donuts around the bike and me.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Today was so much better! 😁
She got lots of praise which made her so happy she started doing donuts around the bike and me.
Great idea. :thumbsup: It sounds like you made a lot of progress in just two days. Way to go! :clap: