So Hungry After Spay

xojessie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 5 1/2 month old kitten got spayed this morning. I was instructed to give her only 1/3 - 1/2 of her regular dinner portion for this evening, if there's no vomit, she can eat regularly tomorrow... well... my kitten is SO hungry! She's actually driving me crazy! I have her 1/4 canned when we got home..that was probably about 6 or so. She's been scavenging through the kitchen looking for anything she can get her paws on. I tried giving her a few treats hoping it would tie her over... it hasn't. It's 10:30 now, so I gave in and gave her the remaining 1/4. Currently, she's back to scavenging the kitchen....
Who would. Give their kitten another 1/4 canned?? I don't want her to get into trouble and eat something she shouldn't.. and I don't want her to be so hungry :(

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Any time my cats have had surgery (spay, dental, etc.) I was told they would probably not want to eat much for a while after anesthesia, but I was never told to restrict their food. As long as she's alert and active and hasn't vomited what she's already had, I would go ahead and give her whatever she normally eats. I think it would do less harm than making her wait too long. When my cats get really hungry they tend to eat too fast and throw up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xojessie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maybe they assumed she wasn't going to eat haha. She's been totally fine.. mostly normal since we've been home..other than her ferocious appetite and playing a bit harder/rougher...which I've chalked up to her being in a crate most of the day