So, Have I Doomed My Cats? (ringworm Saga)

saladflambe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Back story: I have 2 adult cats and 2 foster kittens.

Foster kittens were in quarantine for 2 weeks and then allowed to come out for an hour or two each day around my adult cats.

Week 3 - I find ringworm on myself. Take kittens to vet - voila - ringworm on one of them (the other clearly an invisible carrier or whatever).

Kittens go back in quarantine - Both them AND my adult cats (and me too) all start on oral medication, baths, etc. I did not quarantine my adult cats but did confine them to the basement on the weekend so that my daughter wouldn't touch them - just in case.

Sunday, I think that I see a little hair loss on my female adult cat... Freak out, clean foster room (the one the kittens have been in) as best I can (including disinfectant that works on ringworm, mind you, but still) - move my cats into the foster room and put foster kittens in a bathroom instead.

Today (Monday), I take a closer look at my cat....she doesn't actually have hair loss after all. So, both of my adult cats were asymptomatic after all.... but I have now quarantined them in the most ringworm-infested room in the house, so now they're SUPER exposed.

So, what do I do now? Just finish up their meds, etc. and take one (or should I take both??) to have a culture done?

I should do the culture even if they never show symptoms, right?

Will the meds they are on right now possibly prevent them ever showing symptoms?

I just feel like I screwed up royally. They may not have had it at all, but now I may have given it to them. Sigh.

Hugospal

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We had a situation at my old job with a litter of ringworm infested kittens. Not all cats exposed will get lesions and you're already treating all the cats in the house...I think the hard part is cleaning. Ringworm isn't going to kill any of you so remember that. It just lives a while in the environment and it's really annoying but eventually you'll get a handle on it!

TomTomTomcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Don't worry yourself too much. Everyone will be fine! My cat got ringworm and then I got it but our other cat never got it and I never quarantined. I used tea tree oil and it worked really well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

saladflambe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, I've already worried myself too much :crazy: I'm walking around like it's bubonic plague up in here. Laundry every day (washed twice on hot!) and disinfecting my entire downstairs, plus each pair of cats in their own quarantine that also has to be religiously cleaned. Throwing out cat trees... in general losing my mind.